TMDSAS Advice (Texas applicants), I need your advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minion

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I took my DAT early September. Here are more scores:

PAT 17
QR 19
READING 20
BIOLOGY 20
CHEMISTRY 20
ORGANIC 23

AA 20
TS 21

GPA: 3.58 or 3.6 after this semester
Science GPA: 3.61 or 3.65 after this semester
Upward trend since freshman year (overall freshmen year was a 3.3)

I got to one of the best university in texas also.

Has anyone gotten in with scores that are similar to mine?

I have not applied to any dental schools yet, and I was planning to last cycle. However, I took my DAT late, and I was worried about not getting my applications in time. I just need an advice for anyone in Texas, because I am honestly debating to retake my DAT.

I called Baylor adcoms to ask them if I should retake, and what they told me was that a 20 is an average score for matriculation. However, it will probably be higher next year, like a 21.

So, now I am debating if I should retake my DAT around mid January to experience a holiday hell. What do y'all think? I really want to get into any dental school in Texas. I won't be a traditional applicant whenever I apply. I will have all my science classes done before applications, with a biology degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem isn't stats but not applying early. Baylor loves lots of upper division science classes and lots of community service

Sure you could retake if u want in January after studying winter break

Meh. You're a perfectly average candidate. Most of the people who get in have stats at or worse than yours. At least 80% IIRC. So, your stats are good enough for an interview I'd say right now. Just apply early and you should hear from all 3 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your problem isn't stats but not applying early. Baylor loves lots of upper division science classes and lots of community service

Sure you could retake if u want in January after studying winter break

Thanks! I do have a lot of upper division biology and a lot of volunteer experiences since freshmen year! I think I have about 300+ hours, but do you still think I should retake my DAT?

Meh. You're a perfectly average candidate. Most of the people who get in have stats at or worse than yours. At least 80% IIRC. So, your stats are good enough for an interview I'd say right now. Just apply early and you should hear from all 3 schools.

Do you think there are other things I should improve on my application? I am debating still if I should retake my DAT. I do hear some people get interviews with a 19 on the DAT. I just want to max out my full potential.

Do you think there are other things I should improve on my application? I am debating still if I should retake my DAT. I do hear some people get interviews with a 19 on the DAT. I just want to max out my full potential.
You can always do you more ECs. You have an entire year. Or try to work in a dental office. You could easily double your community service hours. If you want to be more competitive, sure, you can try to score higher on the DAT. But, you scored well the first time, and most re-takers do less well the second time. Just be very careful.

At this point I'd try to get more involved in organized dentistry and community outreach, maybe do some research. I went out with the predent club teaching elementary kids about hygiene/diet and dressed up as mr happy tooth. I also taught a monthly hygiene class to the community outreach patients who were required to attend a class before they were accepted as a patient in the nonprofit dental clinic. I got some really great LORs and had some really good stories to write about in my application. You're a good applicant, so now you have the luxury of a year to make yourself stand out and memorable to admissions committees. Retaking DAT is up to you. If you got a 22 on PAT and kept everything else the same you'd see a good improvement, and PAT is easy to improve on with practice, crack DAT pat,... But again I don't think it's necessary. I might be tempted to especially since you have a lot of time and already have your bases covered concerning service/shadowing.
Don't worry about service HOURS, but rather quality experiences and networking relationships that you can build. Baylor has a predent pre-clinic course that you could attend. Not sure when deadlines are.
Make sure you have all of the schools recommended courses taken if possible (immuno, micro, histo,...)
Ask a dentist in your community who to get in contact with about organized dentistry locally. Those ppl know of all the community outreach that there is and how you could get involved.
Do you have leadership experience?

At this point I'd try to get more involved in organized dentistry and community outreach, maybe do some research. I went out with the predent club teaching elementary kids about hygiene/diet and dressed up as mr happy tooth. I also taught a monthly hygiene class to the community outreach patients who were required to attend a class before they were accepted as a patient in the nonprofit dental clinic. I got some really great LORs and had some really good stories to write about in my application. You're a good applicant, so now you have the luxury of a year to make yourself stand out and memorable to admissions committees. Retaking DAT is up to you. If you got a 22 on PAT and kept everything else the same you'd see a good improvement, and PAT is easy to improve on with practice, crack DAT pat,... But again I don't think it's necessary. I might be tempted to especially since you have a lot of time and already have your bases covered concerning service/shadowing.
Don't worry about service HOURS, but rather quality experiences and networking relationships that you can build. Baylor has a predent pre-clinic course that you could attend. Not sure when deadlines are.
Make sure you have all of the schools recommended courses taken if possible (immuno, micro, histo,...)
Ask a dentist in your community who to get in contact with about organized dentistry locally. Those ppl know of all the community outreach that there is and how you could get involved.
Do you have leadership experience?

Hey, thanks for all the advice. I think I need to get more involved in dentistry. I try my best to, but the only thing I can really do is shadowing. I do have research, however it was only for eight months about plants molecular biology.

As for leadership position, I have two years worth of leadership position in a Red Cross Club (One year of Treasure/Publicity chair and the other is International & Domestic Affairs.) Also, I think I will be extending my leadership position after my application with my Red Cross organization. I think I will be running for Vice President next.

I am also a Vice president for this other organization that promotes exercise and dieting. However, I think that leadership is pretty much like a cookie cutter.

Reactions: 1 user