TMDSAS: optional essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrd1205

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the topic of my optional essay and would love to hear everyone's input on it! I've heard mixed opinions about using the optional essay to write about GPA. I understand that you don't want to highlight the "zit" of the application. But here's my situation: I didn't do so great in my undergrad so I took 2 years off working in a lab and by the time I left I was able to submit a paper. Then I went back to school to get my master's and will be graduating with a 4.0. So for this essay, should I highlight the things I've learned through the mistakes I've made in undergrad?

I also heard that some people write about their hobbies for this essay. For me, I've been running 8-miles a day (most days out of the week) ever since high school. Should I use this essay to write about that and what it has taught me (i..e resilience)?

Members don't see this ad.

undergrad GPA? Any grade trends?

This is the free advertising space where you get to talk about anything that won't be mentioned elsewhere (ie, from letter writers, personal statement, etc). My suggestion is to look at the secondary prompts for some of the schools you want to apply to and avoid using anything that you might put into those prompts since you don't want to waste the space.

Members don't see this ad :)
undergrad GPA? Any grade trends?
My undergrad GPA is defiantly below average. There is a upward trend but unfortunately it was towards the end of undergrad, that's why I went back for my masters. I'm about to graduate with a 4.0 so overall there's defiantly a upward trend.

This is the free advertising space where you get to talk about anything that won't be mentioned elsewhere (ie, from letter writers, personal statement, etc). My suggestion is to look at the secondary prompts for some of the schools you want to apply to and avoid using anything that you might put into those prompts since you don't want to waste the space.

Only a few schools have secondary prompts asking about academics. Would it be safe to totally avoid this topic then?

My academic growth is something I want to highlight but I've been told the adcoms can see that through the grades and that I should write something that will make them remember me.

Only a few schools have secondary prompts asking about academics. Would it be safe to totally avoid this topic then?

My academic growth is something I want to highlight but I've been told the adcoms can see that through the grades and that I should write something that will make them remember me.
Listen to this advice ;)

My undergrad GPA is defiantly below average. There is a upward trend but unfortunately it was towards the end of undergrad, that's why I went back for my masters. I'm about to graduate with a 4.0 so overall there's defiantly a upward trend.

I did a DIY post-bac and master's degree at a 4.0 three years after graduating with a mediocre GPA. I alluded to it with a sentence in my primary and used the optional essay to fully address the context of those years. It might go against general advice presented here but I wanted to explicitly state why the hell I went from chicken s**t to chicken salad. I did this in a very unique way and took a gamble on how it would be received. Resulted in Pre-matching to my top choice of 4 interviews by November during the cycle.

Grades show change but cannot provide the details of why. PM me if you have any specific questions. GL.