brodaiga

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2003
447
0
37
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I get a maling today from Tulane. I am thinking what could they want since they already rejected me after cashing the check. Well, how about I get "Master of Science in Pharmacology." Why would I get it, you might ask? Because it was "Designed to improve your credentials for admission to a medical school."

My 3.85 GPA are not enough credentials? Need improving, hugh? Ok, how about I spend $30000 in a program that will prepare me for "further education in the medical or graduate field." Ok, I will spend $30k taking the same courses as their med students are taking, whom going somewhere, and have myself hoping that this BS degree will somehow improve my chances when applying.

Also, don't overlook the statement, "improve your credentials for admission to a medical school" implying that all the hard work you have done is not good enough to be considered for med school. What must all the people think of this statement who were rejected from Tulane and accepted somewhere else? Their pharmacolgy degree can kiss my a**.

There, I had to vent.

P.S. This is the second mailing I have recieved of this type, the other was from Georgetown. This should be stopped or offered on a voluntary basis.
 

sunUCB

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
361
0
Status
if i remember correctly, i think people on SDN have been complaining about similar letters from Rosalind Franklin.

brodaiga said:
I get a maling today from Tulane. I am thinking what could they want since they already rejected me after cashing the check. Well, how about I get "Master of Science in Pharmacology." Why would I get it, you might ask? Because it was "Designed to improve your credentials for admission to a medical school."

My 3.85 GPA are not enough credentials? Need improving, hugh? Ok, how about I spend $30000 in a program that will prepare me for "further education in the medical or graduate field." Ok, I will spend $30k taking the same courses as their med students are taking, whom going somewhere, and have myself hoping that this BS degree will somehow improve my chances when applying.

Also, don't overlook the statement, "improve your credentials for admission to a medical school" implying that all the hard work you have done is not good enough to be considered for med school. What must all the people think of this statement who were rejected from Tulane and accepted somewhere else? Their pharmacolgy degree can kiss my a**.

There, I had to vent.

P.S. This is the second mailing I have recieved of this type, the other was from Georgetown. This should be stopped or offered on a voluntary basis.
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
Yeah those letters suck....you're not good enough for med school, so why dont you give us $30k, get another 3.5 or above in our program for the next 1-2 years, reapply, and maybe you'll have a little better chance of getting in.....if you've done decently on your MCAT and received a 3.5 or higher in undergrad, you've obviously not worked hard enough!! Those letters are def a slap in the face
 

DocStretch

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
96
0
38
Wandering
Visit site
Status
Yea, I feel your pain. GW gave me a little something like that. Included with my letter saying they were waitlisted me was an invitation to explore their MD/MPH program. I thought to myself, wow, that's freakin great. They won't accept me to the their med school and I'll already have an mph in a couple of months. UNC's rejecto letter wasn't too sweet either, something along the lines of "when reviewing a reapplicant, we look for significant improvement, something we cannot find in yours". I want to write them an email and say "when reviewing medical schools, I look for something called 'tact', I cannot find that in yours. Ps. Lots of other schools have found the improvement you mention" Ok, I'm done venting now
 

Zeus

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
15
0
New Orleans
Visit site
Status
haha, yeah I got that same damn letter from Tulane today- f them man. I am completing a Master degree from Washington University this May, they think their degree is better than the one I am getting right now :laugh:
The funnier one that I have gotten so far though is the Post-Bac program at Creighton. This is a direct statement from the website: "The target population for this program is minority students who have applied but failed to qualify for admission to a medical school. The program is designed to aid disadvantaged students in their preparation and admission to medial school."
Uhm did they even look at my application? I am a white mid-level middle class male, not quite sure this puts me in this category. But seriously if it does please someone let me know so I can put it on my remaining applications. I also like how they go on to say "The academic curriculum is designed to correct educational deficiencies ..." Oh right, the academic defficiency that I got at a top 10-15 University. What a joke!
Thanks there is my venting as well
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
Those letters suck ass. I mean, I love me some Tulane, as it is my future med school, but I hate when ANY school sends letters about those dumb programs to people they rejected. Trust me, OP, you are way good enough for any med school with that GPA!! Good luck :)
 

Mothra

Unabashed Conservative
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2004
117
0
Status
What a load of crap. :mad:
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
264
0
39
San Diego, CA
Status
Yep. Case lost my application, sent me a "hold for interview," an MD/PhD rejection, an MD rejection (I didn't apply to their MD), and an MD rejection that suggested I apply to their PhD program. Who sends 3 rejection letters? By the third skinny letter I was laughing. If I wanted a straight PhD, I would go to my undergrad institution which is generally ranked top 3 in my field. My old advisor/letter writer would be happy to have me back.

Colorado MSTP felt the need to inform me that I am "not a competitive applicant for the 2005 class." For a school whose application cost $30(AMCAS)+$85(secondary)+$50(MSTP grad prog)=$165, you would think they could at least send a moderately polite rejection. My stats aren't fantastic but for crying out loud at age 24 I have a page-long list of publications and interviewed at Harvard.

Ahh, the power of venting. I think I feel better now. Although, if I didn't run so much, I think I would have lost it by now. :D
 

canttouchthis

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
53
0
Status
I never turned in my secondary to a few schools so now they decide to send me the podiatry school brochures. This does not make me feel like good results from the non-rolling schools are coming.
 

chaldobruin

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
303
0
Status
Medical Student
canttouchthis said:
I never turned in my secondary to a few schools so now they decide to send me the podiatry school brochures. This does not make me feel like good results from the non-rolling schools are coming.

are you kidding me? That is absurb on the medical schools' part. It's like they are implicitly telling you that you should give up your dream to become an MD and matriculate to a less competitive health field. Sure they can decide whether or not you belong at their school, but it is not their place to tell you that you are not good enough to become a physician.
 

canttouchthis

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
53
0
Status
chaldobruin said:
are you kidding me? That is absurb on the medical schools' part. It's like they are implicitly telling you that you should give up your dream to become an MD and matriculate to a less competitive health field. Sure they can decide whether or not you belong at their school, but it is not their place to tell you that you are not good enough to become a physician.
Well at least they did it after i rejected them by not giving them 100 bucks. I'm not really hurt by it since i got into a cheap school that prolly doesn't teach much about corns and pumice. Just kidding, i'm guessing podiatry can be pretty crazy I'm not sure why they decided to make it something that doesn't require an MD.
 

MrTee

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
337
2
Visit site
Status
I got the Rosalind Franklin one. They really should look at who they're sending these things out to (e.g., someone with a 3.5+ and 34+ MCAT is probably not going to sign up for one of these 30K SMPs). Of course that would take effort, so that'll never happen.
 

myodana

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
614
1
41
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
i think we should send tulane and georgetown rejection letters ourselves... a la:

"thank you for submitting your masters program information to me. i am sorry to inform you that your program was not competitive enough to be accepted into my future plans. this is no reflection on your program, and i wish you the best of luck in your pursuits."

what do you guys think?
 

trinitrotoluene

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
249
2
Status
brodaiga said:
I get a maling today from Tulane. I am thinking what could they want since they already rejected me after cashing the check. Well, how about I get "Master of Science in Pharmacology." Why would I get it, you might ask? Because it was "Designed to improve your credentials for admission to a medical school."

My 3.85 GPA are not enough credentials? Need improving, hugh? Ok, how about I spend $30000 in a program that will prepare me for "further education in the medical or graduate field." Ok, I will spend $30k taking the same courses as their med students are taking, whom going somewhere, and have myself hoping that this BS degree will somehow improve my chances when applying.

Also, don't overlook the statement, "improve your credentials for admission to a medical school" implying that all the hard work you have done is not good enough to be considered for med school. What must all the people think of this statement who were rejected from Tulane and accepted somewhere else? Their pharmacolgy degree can kiss my a**.

There, I had to vent.

P.S. This is the second mailing I have recieved of this type, the other was from Georgetown. This should be stopped or offered on a voluntary basis.
Here, here.