to Andy, D2 Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonbryan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Andy,

Can you give us an update of how your second year is going?

Members don't see this ad.

Bryan, fellow colleagues and Pre-dents:

How's my second year going? Well, I'd be glad to share. Second year curriculum is much much more interesting and has more dentistry related courses (labs, labs, labs and more labs)

This first semester of 2nd year, we have:

Basic Science Didatic courses:
Pathology (I'm waived out of this course because I earned a 85 or higher score in the Patho/Micro section on my Part 1 board - one of the perks and incentive from Nova Dental to encourage us to do well)
Pharmacology

Dental courses:

Endo I
Endo Lab I
Anesthesia I
Fixed Prosthodontics lecture & lab
Removable Prosthodontics lecture and lab
Radiology I lecture & rotation
Pediatric Dentistry I
Oral Medicine I rotation
Periodontology III lecture & clinic rotation
Dental Biomaterials II lecture

We spend a lot of the time in the simulation lab for Fixed, Removable and Endo lab courses. Every classmate that I had talked to, we all love this semester and feel that this semester is so much easier than the second semester first year (last year).

In Endo, we're using strictly digital radiography integrated with our new Dell laptops. It's so cool to use the Endo computer software to measure working length (you'll learn about this in Endo) and to enhance definition of the canals and apices with various software enhancement tools.

In Periodontology clinical rotations, we have our own real patients to work with to do cleaning, prophies and root planing & scaling. Just last week, I had a Pedo patient, 7-year old little girl. She was so cute and such a wonderful, cooperative patient. I had her hold the "Mr. Thirsty" (aka suction) for me and she loved using it when I told her that she could. At the end of the treatment, she even told me that she loves going to the dentist and would like to be a dentist someday!

In Fixed Prosthodontics, we're learning how to casting gold crowns, onlays, inlays, proceline-fused-metal (PFM) crown, making master casts and pouring stones (Mounting stone, Silky rock etc.) LIKE CRAZY!! Fixed is cool.

In Removable, we're learing how to make dentures, partials, designing casts, major & minor connectors, various clasps, and again POURING stones like crazy! I find this course VERY boring! This course alone drives me away from being a Prosthodontist! It's cool to know how a denture is made from scratch though.

All in all, I'm having a blast this year. I find plenty of time to play on an intermural flag football team with my classmates, go to SoBe (South Beach), work out, and plenty of other things.

My grades are slipping, so far I haven't been getting as many 90s as I would like to. All my studies for exams have been "one-nighters" (meaning I cram the night before the exam). I've been getting mainly 80s. I figure that I will need a STRONG finish during final examination time. All my lab course practical and projects have been in the 90s.

It's funny, now that I passed the NBDE Part 1 and earned what I had aimed for, I'm just pure lazy now! I don't know, I figured that if I can just maintain a 90 average at the end of this year, I'd be fine and my class ranking should increase. I ended my first year with an 88.88% cumulative GPA and I ranked #21 out of 105. It's tough to motivate myself at times, when you have Nip & Tuck on Tuesday nights and Friends on Thursday nights to watch! :laugh:

Funny that you brought this up, this afternoon Nova has our Annual Dental School Open House and I was invited to speak at it about my 2nd year experiences.

Oh, just to give you an idea. I have my Pediatric Midterm tomorrow and I haven't even read any of the lecture packets yet! Another all-nighter tonight! :D

To sum, so far, I've been slacking big time in comparison to last year. Courses this semester are much more interesting to attend and learn. Also, glad to be out of Pathology because I pass the Board with a 85 or higher!

Any other D2s, please feel free to share you second year experiences! I'd love to hear what's going on in your dental schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Andy,

I'm stoked for second year to roll around. I'm also glad to hear that you are having lots of fun, and finding some free time to take care of yourself.

I know you rocked first year, so you deserve some down time for yourself.

Best of luck!

(and thanks for the CD :) )