Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

To apply or not to apply, that is the real question.

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by aflor, Aug 10, 2018.

1. aflor

I need advice from current or prospective IAUPR optometry students. I just received my OAT score and obtained a 290 AA & 310 TS. Should I waste money trying to apply in the 2018-2019 cycle? Do I have a chance to enter IAUPR or should I just spend that money repeating the OAT?

I have a 3.30 GPA and vast extracurriculars. I know people advice not to go to that school, but I live in Puerto Rico so I wish to go there.

2. Grummy142

You’ll definitely have a good chance with those stats.

aflor likes this.
  3. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    apply, you have better stats that pretty much any other PR student and they accept ALL Puerto Ricans regardless of stats. not a good school but since you already live there and thats where you want to go do it. just make sure you read all the posts on here about how things work at the school before you go.

aflor likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    aflor

Thanks for the input!! I’ll apply to other schools that accept lower OAT scores and if by a miracle somewhere else calls me I will consider it. Iaupr is just cheaper for me and it makes sense to stay on the island.

5. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Just a lovely update on this super amazing school. anyone considering going here should reconsider especially when you have one of the deans posting on social media that its not the schools job to prepare you for boards, that students are lazy, professors all joining in saying that American students are worthless and lazy and shouldn't have been accepted, criticizing the "American students" for bringing down the reputation of the school because the Puerto Ricans are so much better. you are wasting your money at this school. Who posts that all students (current and alumni alike) are terrible and dont deserve to be doctors yet want alumni to stop trashing the school after they spend an entire post trashing all the students saying we are terrible and stupid! Want to know what prompted the convo?? The official percentage report of boards pass rates was released and IAUPR did the worst as usual but not only are they the worst they are at a 40% pass rate for all parts of boards even lower than any year before.

6. OP
    OP
    aflor

Wow, I really did not know any of this. The most concerning part is definitely the low boards pass rate.

7. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Yes the board rates have gone down consistently at this is the lowest yet I believe, oh but not to worry, the school nor the professors are not to blame. as I said they firmly believe it is not their job to prepare you. Online they blamed having American students vs all PR students bc they are better and smarter than us. It is def the students fault for not teaching themselves well enough. As one doc said we need to "self teach and self study"