To Apply or not to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultraez16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into medical school with a 3.5 GPA and a 25N MCAT score?? I am a GA resident and plan on apply to Mercer and MCG. Should I apply this year or retake the MCAT next year and apply then?? I also have a lot of experience with clinical research and volunteerwork.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd retake the MCAT this year if you can. Georgia is an extremely friendly state to be a resident of, so get your app in and work to do better on your next test.

Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to retake the MCAT this year. I am about to leave for the Philippines and will be gone till early August. There is no way I will be able to properly study for the exam while I am there since I won't have access to a computer. And once I come back, I will barely have any time left to study. Plus, I've already checked how many seats are available in Aug. for the test centers around my area and all are taken. So, what I really need to know is if I should still submit my application? While I'm waiting for an answer from the schools I apply to, I'll definitely be looking into what I can do later if I don't get in. But would it hurt me more if I didn't get in and tried applying again next year? Should I just hold out another year and try to raise my mcat score? decisions, decisions....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend looking into DO. There is a great new program in GA (I know where you live....) that may be hurting for good students. And a year off isn't all that long. It may give you some perspective/time to do some more work and retake the MCAT. Good luck!

With a sub-par GPA and a very-low MCAT, there is no point to applying with your current stats and no time to study for the August test (unless you have no problem with enriching institutions with your application dollars). Get the GPA up by taking upper-level science classes next year. Take a formal prep class to prepare for the MCAT. Don't take it again until you are consistently scoring over 30 on many practice tests.