To be md or not to be...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which.

• Doctor

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Nurse

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

Chardeemacdennis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide between MD VS RN for some time now. About a year. And I go back and forth every few months.

Factors in my situation:
1.) I am two years sober off of meth, heroin and alcohol(6 years, hopefully, by the time I begin medical school.) I have some felony drug charges that were dismissed/expunged after successful completing probation in 2007 as a juvenile and in 2013 as an adult. Did a DOJ background check on myself and these do not show up on a live scan but I know honesty requires me to report them all. This worries me about getting licensed and being able to prescribe meds: I know the odds aren't good. The odds of being licensed as a nurse are better.

2.) I am against nursing at the same time because I don't want to clean poo or be seen as stupid. I am moderately-slightly above average in intelligence. I almost feel like I should go to medical school if I'm smart enough to. I don't want people to see me as less intelligent if I do end up deciding on nursing. I don't want to settle, either.

3.) I have only taken one biology class so far, got an A, but absolutely hated it. It was cell & molecular biology but we included a lot of intro bio Chem and genetics. Not interesting to me. I hate labs, I hate learning about the damn electron transport chain. Vomit. I know this doesn't necessarily equate to hating med school, but it doesn't excite me to have to mindlessly memorize biology information.

4.) I am still considering med school because I want to be able to show other recovering people that you can do anything you set your mind to. I want to be able to make enough money to take care of my parents when they're older. I want to make them proud (this is my most childish argument). I want to prove to everyone who thought I couldn't that I could. (Also childish. But true.) also, I want nice material things. Just being honest.

5.) I don't like egotistical people and all of the doctors I've met so far are full of ego. Also, I am afraid of the responsibility that comes with being a doctor, the lawsuits, the billing crap.

6.) I do like the idea of being part of patient care without running the show. I like the idea of being able to really personally take care of people like a nurse would do.

Go ahead and lay into me. Point out the fallacies in my thinking. I need to know the truth in order to make a decision, and I can't always see the truth coming from my own thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

3.) I have only taken one biology class so far, got an A, but absolutely hated it. It was cell & molecular biology but we included a lot of intro bio Chem and genetics. Not interesting to me. I hate labs, I hate learning about the damn electron transport chain. Vomit. I know this doesn't necessarily equate to hating med school, but it doesn't excite me to have to mindlessly memorize biology information.

Different career than either MD or RN.

Reactions: 13 users
Well if you currently hate your undergrad science classes, then what makes you think you'd like medical school?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Different career than either MD or RN.
Considered almost anything else I can think of, but have narrowed it down to these. Considered psychology for a long time but after working in the field realized it isn't for me.

Does a nurse have to know that much biology? Beyond micro, anatomy, physio? I can stomach it for those classes. I just don't think I can stomach detailed knowledge for the next 8-10 years.

I do love Chem though.

Well if you currently hate your undergrad science classes, then what makes you think you'd like medical school?
I probably wouldn't. You're right. I just didn't think anyone really liked medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been trying to decide between MD VS RN for some time now. About a year. And I go back and forth every few months.

Factors in my situation:
1.) I am two years sober off of meth, heroin and alcohol(6 years, hopefully, by the time I begin medical school.) I have some felony drug charges that were dismissed/expunged after successful completing probation in 2007 as a juvenile and in 2013 as an adult. Did a DOJ background check on myself and these do not show up on a live scan but I know honesty requires me to report them all. This worries me about getting licensed and being able to prescribe meds: I know the odds aren't good. The odds of being licensed as a nurse are better.

Don't know the legal details, but congratulations.

2.) I am against nursing at the same time because I don't want to clean poo or be seen as stupid. I am moderately-slightly above average in intelligence. I almost feel like I should go to medical school if I'm smart enough to. I don't want people to see me as less intelligent if I do end up deciding on nursing. I don't want to settle, either.

You'll catch a lot of s*** for this argument, esp. when asserting your intelligence.

Can't speak for medical school but you've got a lot more of this stuff coming just in prerequisites. Like a lot.

4.) I am still considering med school because I want to be able to show other recovering people that you can do anything you set your mind to. I want to be able to make enough money to take care of my parents when they're older. I want to make them proud (this is my most childish argument). I want to prove to everyone who thought I couldn't that I could. (Also childish. But true.) also, I want nice material things. Just being honest.

If I didn't make the decision to pursue medicine because of my own personal interests then there is no way I would have the motivation to go through the prerequisites and application process.

5.) I don't like egotistical people and all of the doctors I've met so far are full of ego. Also, I am afraid of the responsibility that comes with being a doctor, the lawsuits, the billing crap.

This alone indicates that you haven't spent enough time shadowing or learning about the nature of being a physician.

It's cheesy advice but only you can make this decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Does a nurse have to know that much biology? Beyond micro, anatomy, physio? I can stomach it for those classes.

I spent time in nursing school. It is extremely protocol-based education. The strict science classes you have to take are pretty watered-down and easy going.

If you find the electron transport chain tedious, you have about a 0% chance of enjoying organic chemistry class.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't know the legal details, but congratulations.

You'll catch a lot of s*** for this argument, esp. when asserting your intelligence.

Can't speak for medical school but you've got a lot more of this stuff coming just in prerequisites. Like a lot.

If I didn't make the decision to pursue medicine because of my own personal interests then there is no way I would have the motivation to go through the prerequisites and application process.

This alone indicates that you haven't spent enough time shadowing or learning about the nature of being a physician.

It's cheesy advice but only you can make this decision.

Thank you. I'm just trying to be honest. If I get hammered for some of my arguments that's a good thing. I really am thinking this way but I can't make a responsible decision based on faulty thinking and reasoning. If I need to be beaten up a little, so be it.
I spent about ~200 hours shadowing 4 doctors so far, and have ~2,000 paid clinical. I just don't like the type of people that decide to become doctors I guess. Maybe it isn't enough time, or I haven't met the right doctors.

Thank you. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a bachelors yet? If not, what's your current GPA with how many classes taken?

Do you have a bachelors yet? If not, what's your current GPA with how many classes taken?

No bachelors, about 70 credits, 4.0 at a community college. I haven't left CC yet because I don't know what I want yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not clear on why you think that a health care profession is for you, would you mind explaining what about either of the actual jobs appeals to you?

I'm not counting the fact that you want to prove that it's possible, because that has nothing to do with enjoying the job. You could prove that by becoming a lawyer, engineer, business owner, etc.

I'm not clear on why you think that a health care profession is for you, would you mind explaining what about either of the actual jobs appeals to you?

I'm not counting the fact that you want to prove that it's possible, because that has nothing to do with enjoying the job. You could prove that by becoming a lawyer, engineer, business owner, etc.

I've worked in medical detoxes, rehabs and medical offices. I like taking care of people. I really like the idea of caring for sick people, which is why I'm considering nursing. I also like the idea of taking care of a patient's health and making them better (that sounded corny) like a doctor would. I just love the environment of a hospital and being directly involved with all kinds of patients. I know I want to work in healthcare, whether that's as a NP, Pa, Md, or RN is the decision to make.

I spent about ~200 hours shadowing 4 doctors so far, and have ~2,000 paid clinical. I just don't like the type of people that decide to become doctors I guess. Maybe it isn't enough time, or I haven't met the right doctors.

I'm sorry with that much experience you haven't had gotten a good impression of a physician. I've met some that make it look like the best thing in the world and others that were some of the most miserable people I've encountered, but if you've spent that much time then you've either been quite unlucky, or perhaps the way you perceive it is innate because it just isn't for you.

It took me a long time to figure this whole thing out (like over two years) but when I knew, I really knew. I was and am to this day extremely excited by it, and I think anyone should be if they're committing to something packaged with a lot of grief.

Really though, congratulations on being clean

I'm surprised someone hasn't been really triggered by this thread yet.

Reactions: 2 users

Factors in my situation:

6.) I do like the idea of being part of patient care without running the show. I like the idea of being able to really personally take care of people like a nurse would do.

Go ahead and lay into me. Point out the fallacies in my thinking. I need to know the truth in order to make a decision, and I can't always see the truth coming from my own thoughts.
Stay away from medicine.

I'm sorry with that much experience you haven't had gotten a good impression of a physician. I've met some that make it look like the best thing in the world and others that were some of the most miserable people I've encountered, but if you've spent that much time then you've either been quite unlucky, or perhaps the way you perceive it is innate because it just isn't for you.

It took me a long time to figure this whole thing out (like over two years) but when I knew, I really knew. I was and am to this day extremely excited by it, and I think anyone should be if they're committing to something packaged with a lot of grief.

Really though, congratulations on being clean
Thank you!

Though other members may be able to significantly help you out more on what your chances would be, I do want to point out something, regardless of everything else you said. Nursing is an excellent profession. Though I decided that medical school was the best fit for me, I've worked around and with nurses a few years. You shouldn't get into a profession simply because of what other people will think of you. This will set you up for a miserable, miserable career. Find out what you truly want to do, for the right reasons. Whether that is in the medical field or not, and try.

An excellent reason to rule out Medicine as a career.

These are the worst possible reasons for a career in Medicine. I'd reject you outright for the "I told you so" wannabe attitude.

4.) I am still considering med school because I want to be able to show other recovering people that you can do anything you set your mind to. I want to be able to make enough money to take care of my parents when they're older. I want to make them proud (this is my most childish argument). I want to prove to everyone who thought I couldn't that I could. (Also childish. But true.) also, I want nice material things.

Reactions: 6 users
Also I'd like to add that I find it funny that the poll reads "Which. Doctor"

Based on what you said, you seem to only want to pursue medicine because you want to help people... but a doctor does SO much more than this.

I commend you for being clean and for all you have overcome (seriously, you are amazing) but following a career just to prove something to others isn't what's in your best interest.

You could always try to be a guidance councilor. Medicine is pretty much out of the picture based on your lack of interest in science. Speaking from my nursing experience, you wouldn't make it in the nursing field either. Not necessarily because you despise cleaning up fecal matter, but because you seem to think that nurses only clean up fecal matter and have no intellect. While every once in a while they do have to do that, their job consist of a lot more than just that and there are some rather intelligent ones in the field. You mentioned not wanting to seem less intelligent to people. I am in no way trying to be rude, but your original post does not help your cause any. It comes off as very incoherent and shows you have very little knowledge on either of the two fields you mentioned. Congratulations on being clean and I hope you find your path in life. However, judging by your post, medicine (or nursing) does not seem like your best option.

Reactions: 6 users
find something else to do

Why not a psychologist, or a drug counselor? There are plenty of ways one can help people without being in medicine.

Medical school is not going to be a fit for you - wanting to show other recovering people that they can do anything they set their mind to is not a valid motivation to pursue medicine. In addition, you could get a great career in something else you actually like and achieve the exact same goal. It sounds like healthcare in general isn't your best bet, not because you couldn't but because you just don't seem to like it that much. And that's ok.

I've worked in medical detoxes, rehabs and medical offices. I like taking care of people. I really like the idea of caring for sick people, which is why I'm considering nursing. I also like the idea of taking care of a patient's health and making them better (that sounded corny) like a doctor would. I just love the environment of a hospital and being directly involved with all kinds of patients. I know I want to work in healthcare, whether that's as a NP, Pa, Md, or RN is the decision to make.

If you absolutely must do something medical I actually say RN, the high patient interaction would meet what I see here in this post. You could even work in a rehab center and help others along the path you have already taken. I wouldn't go to medical school because of your dislike for the sciences, which is all that medicine is.

I do think the very best option for you would be to find which subjects you like the most and then pursuing that. Doing what you are doing is awesome and whatever you do you should hold your head high. You can make a difference in a lot of different fields outside of medicine, it isn't the only field where you help people.

Help people, especially recovering addicts: lawyer, psychologist, social worker, drug counselors, business owner that employs former addicts, job counselor, volunteer with any other job.

your reasons for considering medicine are intensely self-centered. that's not what medicine is about, and the chances of you making it through medical school (assuming you do get in somewhere) are low with those superficial reasons and lack of conviction. this is a grueling, customer service-centered, somewhat idealistic, exhausting road.

with your aversion to accountability, I'd suggest NP or PA usually, but I'd really recommend you take an honest examination of why you're even considering healthcare before going down those roads as well. it's possible I could be misinterpreting your personality through the internet, but the allure of prestige and pride that you believe will come with a medical degree is not worth the misery you (and your potential future patients) will go through for you to obtain that.

congratulations on being clean.

PS -- do you think physicians in training don't "clean up poo" or something? it's ironic that you mention the physicians you've interacted with being egotistical because I feel like that's exactly the kind of physician you might become.

your concerns about how nurses are viewed says way more about you than it does other people.

No one knows what the future holds. To assume I'd be sober would be arrogant. One day at a time. :) although, I do everything I can daily to stay that way.

Stay strong, and like you say, keep winning one day at a time. Whether you go into medical field or another field is only secondary.

So if you think you don't like the 'type of people who become doctors' why would you want to try to go to 4 years of school, then 3+ years of residency, then a whole career, with doctors as your peers? You'd make yourself miserable.

On another note:
'The type of people who become doctors' never had to go to rehab, haven't been involved with the law, and generally are a rule following bunch of people who may look down on you too when they hear about your history. Just saying, the reality is medicine is a judgmental and competitive field that may not be very comfortable for you in training.
Also, if you ever relapse you could actually lose your medical license. Meaning all those years studying the damn electron transport chain mean nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can become a mid-level provider, such as a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant. You get the best of both worlds and pretty solid pay (around 100k a year). Although, I don't think anyone considers RN's dumb, they play an important role in hospitals. If you aren't 100% into becoming a doctor then I'd recommend looking into one of the other careers I stated above because becoming a physician is a big time commitment. It's risky and there's a lot of obstacles you're going to have to overcome apart from stomaching science classes.

Last edited:
You guys are absolutely right. I'm glad that I won't waste the next 10 years of my life and 200k to do something I honestly probably would hate.

I appreciate everything you guys said even though I didn't always like hearing it. Sometimes I just need a little humility. Thank you :)

your reasons for considering medicine are intensely self-centered. that's not what medicine is about, and the chances of you making it through medical school (assuming you do get in somewhere) are low with those superficial reasons and lack of conviction. this is a grueling, customer service-centered, somewhat idealistic, exhausting road.

with your aversion to accountability, I'd suggest NP or PA usually, but I'd really recommend you take an honest examination of why you're even considering healthcare before going down those roads as well. it's possible I could be misinterpreting your personality through the internet, but the allure of prestige and pride that you believe will come with a medical degree is not worth the misery you (and your potential future patients) will go through for you to obtain that.

congratulations on being clean.

PS -- do you think physicians in training don't "clean up poo" or something? it's ironic that you mention the physicians you've interacted with being egotistical because I feel like that's exactly the kind of physician you might become.

your concerns about how nurses are viewed says way more about you than it does other people.
You're right. I do have an ego problem (like most recovering alcoholics). It's a character defect I try and work on all the time. Another character defect of mine is caring what people think, as you can see. You're absolutely right in that it would be to my detriment to pick a career based on fear and defects of character. Thank you.

May I suggest Licensed Clinical Social Worker? You get to be part of the team without running the show. No poo cleaning. No billling unless you have a private practice. You genuinely help people. Very big part of rehab hospital settings with trauma patients, people with developmental disabilities, elderly patients with chronic conditions including memory impairments.

Reactions: 10 users
@Chardeemacdennis You care about what people think after trying to trigger them. That's called trolling. You don't need an RN or an MD to be successful at that.

Also congratulations on getting an A on your 7 day "cell & molecular biology" science class. It's amazing that you've completed an upper division biology class since you completed G. Bio and G. Chem as of last week.
Because currently have a 4.0 after bio and genchem at CC and I have a really good work ethic.
The school I'm going to has ALL bio classes major restricted and if I transfer I won't have some of the classes done that you need to take those upper div (I'm a non science major.)

@Chardeemacdennis You care about what people think after trying to trigger them. That's called trolling. You don't need an RN or an MD to be successful at that.

Also congratulations on getting an A on your 7 day "cell & molecular biology" science class. It's amazing that you've completed an upper division biology class since you completed G. Bio and G. Chem as of last week.
That was my g-bio.... bio 180 is cell & molecular bio at my cc.... unhelpful.

Last edited:
May I suggest Licensed Clinical Social Worker? You get to be part of the team without running the show. No poo cleaning. No billling unless you have a private practice. You genuinely help people. Very big part of rehab hospital settings with trauma patients, people with developmental disabilities, elderly patients with chronic conditions including memory impairments.

I was going to suggest the same thing. It seems like social worker might be right up OP's alley, and social work is a huge part of healthcare, especially in particular settings, but without all the boring electron transport chains!

Nurses do get a lot of respect. Sure, there are some doctors and patients who can be rude or judgmental, but step away from the hospital and nurses are considered up there in status and intelligence by the majority of people.

I think based on what you said this is the perfect career option for you. Nurses are more involved in direct patient care and do not have to learn as in depth about molecular systems. Nursing science is different from medical school science in a way I think you would enjoy.

Last edited:
Nurses do get a lot of respect. Sure, there are some doctors and patients who can be rude or judgmental, but step away from the hospital and nurses are considered up there in status and intelligence by the majority of people.

I think based on what you said this is the perfect career option for you. Nurses are more involved in direct patient care and do not have to learn as in depth about molecular systems. Nursing science is different from medical school science in a way I think you would enjoy.

What is nursing science?