To be md or not to be...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which.

  • Doctor

    Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Nurse

    Votes: 21 53.8%

  • Total voters
    39
Not gonna lie, your reasons for wanting to be a doctor are pretty dumb, but not much worse than the real reasons most pre-meds do it for. Don't rely too much on the opinions of the self-righteous, sheltered pre-med automatons lurking around here. If you want to be a doctor and think you've got what it takes, then go for it. It would be nice to have another doctor out there that doesn't look down on patients struggling with addiction like they're scum, as I'm sure a good number of the people participating in this forum will. Just know that getting an A in one biology class doesn't mean that you're a shoo-in. You've got a long road full of boring science crap ahead of you just to get in.... and then there's first year
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should become a doctor because you think science is incredible and understand that the human body is currently the most complex unit humanity knows to exist. You should become a doctor because you enjoy the endorphins you get when helping others.

These selfish "I wanna be a success/want material things/the pride of that white coat" arguments just make no sense. be a banker.
 
You should become a doctor because you think science is incredible and understand that the human body is currently the most complex unit humanity knows to exist. You should become a doctor because you enjoy the endorphins you get when helping others.

These selfish "I wanna be a success/want material things/the pride of that white coat" arguments just make no sense. be a banker.
...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
 
...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little

31464663.jpg
 
You're right. I do have an ego problem (like most recovering alcoholics). It's a character defect I try and work on all the time. Another character defect of mine is caring what people think, as you can see. You're absolutely right in that it would be to my detriment to pick a career based on fear and defects of character. Thank you.
for what it's worth, I think it's a good quality that you were able to ask this question before solidly deciding on embarking on the healthcare career path. I've known many people who unfortunately didn't have the self awareness or capacity for discomfort to admit their doubts beforehand, thus ending up in a career they were miserable in. and the scary thing about healthcare is that it doesn't just affect the person; it's the wellbeing of patients, who are already vulnerable.

you've taken the criticism here well, and that can't be easy. it seems that you're still in a somewhat early stage of figuring yourself out and what you want out of life. I believe people in general have a large capacity to change, and the ability to grow and courage to be authentic is way more important than always succeeding. who knows where you'll be in the future. it's just that as your motivations stand currently, I really don't think healthcare would make you happy. I wish you the best of luck.