"To cut wait times, VA wants nurses to act like doctors. Doctors say veterans will be harmed."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Ron Ray
12:42 PM EDT
When President Clinton came to Ft. Polk, I was placed on call and made to stay in the hospital in case we had to take him to surgery. The funny thing? I was not on call, a colleague who happened to be an MDA was on call. I replaced him for Clinton's visit because I was more experienced and a better clinician even though I was a CRNA and he was an MD."

Decided to peruse the comments section and came across this gem from "Dr" Ron Ray, DNAP, CRNA, BS, QUREDD, ASDFASD, ASS, LOIHLE, AWSDFSKY, LKHKHK, DGEESFDSA, GBRASDRFADF
Is this guy for real?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"Ron Ray
When President Clinton came to Ft. Polk, I was placed on call and made to stay in the hospital in case we had to take him to surgery. The funny thing? I was not on call, a colleague who happened to be an MDA was on call. I replaced him for Clinton's visit because I was more experienced and a better clinician even though I was a CRNA and he was an MD."

Decided to peruse the comments section and came across this gem from "Dr" Ron Ray, DNAP, CRNA, BS, QUREDD, ASDFASD, ASS, LOIHLE, AWSDFSKY, LKHKHK, DGEESFDSA, GBRASDRFADF
Is this guy for real?

Well, to be fair, nurses do have a lot more time on their hands to peruse comment threads.

"Ron Ray

Is this guy for real?

This clown replaced the MD bc the MD's time was better served in the OR doing cases rather than being on stand-by doing jack. I know the intricacies of military medicine. This guy isn't fooling anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Ron Ray

Is this guy for real?

Classic CRNA M.O. Just slam message boards with the same drivel over and over again until people start to believe it.

The thing is, he might be pretty good at anesthesia (though I don't think anyone can be as good as HE thinks he is). But he is blissfully (and possibly intentionally) unaware of what his colleagues are doing, because his shpiel is dependent on him not knowing.

Reactions: 1 users
Classic CRNA M.O. Just slam message boards with the same drivel over and over again until people start to believe it.

The thing is, he might be pretty good at anesthesia (though I don't think anyone can be as good as HE thinks he is). But he is blissfully (and possibly intentionally) unaware of what his colleagues are doing, because his shpiel is dependent on him not knowing.

The strongest CRNAs I used to work with were not like this guy. I feel like he probably works at some 50 bed hospital that ships everything remotely complicated so he feels over confident. These are the most dangerous CRNAs and the ones who require the most supervision IMO.

"AANA Presidenta day ago

Thank you, Bloomberg View, for “getting it.” Our veterans
deserve timely access to the best healthcare possible, which is exactly why the VA has proposed allowing advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) to practice to the full scope of their education, licensure, and abilities. The VA’s proposal wasn’t made hastily or frivolously. On the contrary, the VA’s proposal is backed by the results of an independent assessment of the VHA health system that was ordered by Congress and published in 2015. The assessment, which was prepared by the RAND Corporation, confirmed that physician organizations lack evidence
to support their claims that substituting advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) for physicians may put patients at risk for poorer outcomes. It also identified 14 research studies from 2002-2011 that provide abundant evidence that APRNs deliver patient care just as safely as physicians. In anesthesia alone there have been no fewer than nine studies since 2000 confirming that Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) ensure access to safe, cost-effective anesthesia care to millions of Americans—including Veterans—every year. As we head into this Memorial Day weekend, the nation’s 49,000+ CRNAs, many of whom currently serve our enlisted men and women, officers, and veterans, and many of whom are veterans themselves, applaud the VA’s decision. We encourage Veterans and their families across the country to join us in expressing support for this proposal by writing to the VA at https://veteransaccesstocare.c....

Juan Quintana, DNP, MHS, CRNA
President, American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
Military Veteran"

The strongest CRNAs I used to work with were not like this guy. I feel like he probably works at some 50 bed hospital that ships everything remotely complicated so he feels over confident. These are the most dangerous CRNAs and the ones who require the most supervision IMO.

I saw that with my own eyes in the .mil.
The big house (or larger civilian hospital) gets the complex cases and marginal patients. The really complex cases get turfed to the quatenary care centers. The cases at the big military centers are triaged and the complex cases go to the MD/resident team and the CRNA/SRNAs get the easier and less complex cases. Joe CRNA is a bigtime badass at the tiny military community type hospital for a few years, where the hardest case is a marginally obese 50yo gallbladder, then comes back to the big house thinking he can do anything. Ha! But he did trauma care in the field on young healthy athletes... Yeah OK.
It's a joke.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 7 users
I saw that with my own eyes in the .mil.
But he did trauma care in the field on young healthy athletes... Yeah OK.
--
Il Destriero
You mean he knows to the keep the forane low while the blood pressure is low, keep the rocuronium on board while the purple stuff is low, and pour red stuff in from the top until it stops coming out of the bottom?

Reactions: 3 users
http://home.coa.us.com/accreditation/Documents/2004 Standards for Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, revised October 2015.pdf

See accredit ion requirements for a CRNA program to exist. If the VA is ok allowing CRNAs to practice independently after doing a total of 5 hearts and a total of 5 thoracic cases while doing a couple central lines via a simulator...good luck to them.
sometimes, I overhear the SRNAs discussing and stressing over their doctorate paper. It sounds more or less like a glorified book report...but at least now they can say they're Doctors!!

sometimes, I overhear the SRNAs discussing and stressing over their doctorate paper. It sounds more or less like a glorified book report...but at least now they can say they're Doctors!!
The ones I've known haven't seemed too stressed about it.

Actually, they seem irritated about it. They'll sheepishly admit it's a scam and a fraud ... and they're irritated because they feel like they need to smile, nod, and "check that box" to ensure they'll be able to compete for jobs in 10 or 15 years.

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I feel about MOCA.

Reactions: 2 users