to drop or not to drop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm in a small predicament right now. i've already applied and all that good stuff, and now theres a possibility i might fail my biochem lab class. i have a borderline C/D and have until Friday to drop the class. i'm supposed to be graduating in december, so if i drop i'll have to take it in the spring. so my questions are:

1- if i drop the class, will that affect my status with the dental schools? (ive already interviewed everywhere, and hope to hear back by dec. 1st, before grades come out)

2- if i keep and fail, (D or F), will they automatically withdraw my acceptance (if i'm accepted), even if i tell them i'm retaking in spring and will pass? i currently have no W's and no F's on my transcript at all.

the reason i'm messing up is because i've missed like 2 classes because of interviewes and my TA is a major B**** and is not working with me. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

omar

Members don't see this ad.

C or D would suck.... drop and think up a good excuse if they ask!!!!

BTW ...which class is this?

thanks for quick reply, the class is biochemistry lab... sux
c or d would suck?? i would die for a C at this point. i thought that as long as i passed, i'm good?

omar

Members don't see this ad :)
if you feel really confident that you will be accepted on december 1st, what i would do is try to pull at least a D, and just call it a semester. that way you don't have to worry about going school in the spring semester. that lab is not even a prereqs, so you be just fine. they will not withdraw your acceptance for having a D in that class.

demonicr said:
if you feel really confident that you will be accepted on december 1st, what i would do is try to pull at least a D, and just call it a semester. that way you don't have to worry about going school in the spring semester. that lab is not even a prereqs, so you be just fine. they will not withdraw your acceptance for having a D in that class.

talk to your advisor i doubt that that will help but try it, i know for a fact that taking the lecture is more important than the lab. you dont have to take it since it is separate from the lecture part...i'd say drop it i had a similar problem but i ended up not droping lab i got a B- in it but the C in lecture was what screwed me up... :eek:

hey guys, thanks for the responses. i've already taken the lecture over the summer and got a B, and i think university of florida requires the lecture and the lab. and i dont think a D is passing for dental schools, so i'd need at least a C. ekhh still debating, probably gonna end up dropping tho. thanks

omar

I think you can try talking to the lab instructor to see if it is necessary to drop. If your are on semesters, I bet the majority of the points are yet to be earned. When doing assignments, go to office hours to have some feed back. You may be able to salvage at C plus may be a B. Anyways, I think only the lecture component of Biochem is a requirement at a few schools. Also, one D from a not required course will not give causation to pull you from acceptance list specially if overall semester GPA is high.

Omar-
4 credits of biochem is a prerquisite at UF
At UF biochem lecture alone is worth 4 credits and in some other schools also
At USF biochem lecture is worth 3 credits
In the past students from USF were accepted to UFCD without the lab. Only last year two students that I know were accepted to UF w/o biochem lab. One of them told Dr. Sposetti during the interview that he was not going to take it and still got accepted. I am graduating this semester and I have not taken the lab. I asked Dr Sposetti during my interview if that would affect my application. She did not give me a straightforward answer, but I'm figuring that it will not. The only way I will take that lab is if I'm accepted on a condition that I will complete that one credit. If I were you, I?d just drop the course and wait until December 1st. If you hear good news in December, which you probably will, just call them and I?m sure they?ll say that you are fine without the lab unless you need credits.

Thaxil said:
I think you can try talking to the lab instructor to see if it is necessary to drop. If your are on semesters, I bet the majority of the points are yet to be earned. When doing assignments, go to office hours to have some feed back. You may be able to salvage at C plus may be a B. Anyways, I think only the lecture component of Biochem is a requirement at a few schools. Also, one D from a not required course will not give causation to pull you from acceptance list specially if overall semester GPA is high.

Omar:
If you could pass it (not an "F") then you should keep it. You need it for graduating this semester (December). Later, if you failed then you write a letter to your dental school. The dental school would favor your decision on graduation (even if your decision was failed). Another, the Biochem Lab is not important (not serious). Just a few dental school require it; however, you still have another semester (Spring) to retake it. This lab values 1 credit hour; therefore, it won't hurt your GPA and your chance (reapply) next year. You need to tell you professor that you need it for graduation and later you would show him your offer letter from dental school (another encouragement). Therefore, you shouldn't drop it if you could pass it (not an "F"). You aslo should talk to your advisor or department chair to see if you could graduate with that "D" (not an "F").

hey guys, thanks everybody for ur advice,

i still dont know if i should drop ( i have until friday). even though UF might not require the lab, i still only have 118 credits including the credits from this semester. so i need two more credits. i know, i can take some BS class and satsify it, but i dont know. the way i see it, i dont want to risk an F, but i can live with a W, as long as i re-take it and pass it. and why would d-schools care if i graduate in dec??

omar