To email professors or not to email professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two advisors and unfortunately both are telling me different things. What do you think, is it better to email a professor and ask if they are accepting or are you better off just applying so then they can see all that you have to offer and decide? I can kind of see both ways but I also know they probably would know if they have an opening at this point. However, one of my professors said that it annoyed her so I am really worried about doing it.

Anyways, any advice is helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I have two advisors and unfortunately both are telling me different things. What do you think, is it better to email a professor and ask if they are accepting or are you better off just applying so then they can see all that you have to offer and decide? I can kind of see both ways but I also know they probably would know if they have an opening at this point. However, one of my professors said that it annoyed her so I am really worried about doing it.

Anyways, any advice is helpful!

I think it is a good idea because a) it saves you time if they aren't and b) they see your name before getting your application and theoretically, will pay more attention to it once it comes their way.

I toss my vote in for emailing as well. Who can afford to waste the application fee if the desired mentor isn't accepting students? I understand that it must be a hassle for the professors, but I think applicants deserve at least that much knowledge going into the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a common thing to do, and it's a really good idea for all the reasons mentioned. I don't know why it would annoy someone, and I wonder if the type of person who would get annoyed by a simple email wouldn't be the type of person you might want for an advisor. Just keep it short and to the point.

also, it's really important to get into contact with a professor because during committee meetings, they'll ask the professor mentioned in your application if you've talked to them.

Don't underestimate the ego factor, either. It sounds silly, but many professors are actually flattered/happy that their work appears interesting enough to possible incoming graduate students. So, to reiterate what's been posted, its a common practice, anyone who is annoyed by should be avoided anyway, and it will only save time/money if the prof isn't taking students.

I didn't and it worked out fine, but I wish I had. It would have prevented some foolish mistakes on my part. For instance, I applied to work with someone who had died!! She was still listed as an active advisor on the website but had died several years earlier. Needless to say, she was not accepting grad students, and I looked very uninformed.

Bottom line: E-mail them, no question about it. Be polite and they can't hold it against you. If they do, you don't want to work with them anyway.

I also agree that you should absolutely email them. Your professor is the first one I've heard of that was annoyed by this, usually it is only beneficial for you (unless you email them several times without getting any responses). Definitely email them, the worst that will happen is you won't get a response, but as long as you don't nag them you should be fine.

I would suggest you wait a few weeks though, until the semesters have gotten fully underway because it may be hard for a professor to know if they are taking a student now without actually starting this year and seeing where they are.

I definitely agree with the emailing the professors. If you're polite (as the above posters recommended) and they do respond back to you, then you will know if they have openings. It would be horrible to go through the whole process only to discover that the professor who you want to work with isn't accepting this year. Either way, letting them know that you're interested and showing that you've done your research will show your geniune desire and commitment.

I think you should e-mail. You don't lose anything and can gain out by not wasting an application ... of course people can say they will accept and then turn out not to, but at least it gives you a place to start.

I think I can guess who that professor is who said not to e-mail ... i disagree with her in this case.

I would email. I've emailed all the professors for the programs I'm interested in and have gotten quick responses from most of them (although a few I still haven't heard back from...). I think it can also help you see a program that wasn't your top choice become one of your top choices because you have a better match with an advisor than you orginally thought. At least that happened in my case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I will be writing letters in that case. Now the question is what to say. Do you just say that you are looking at grad schools, are interested in their research, and are wondering if they are accepting? I guess is it that simple, or does it need to be more than that?

It might also help to mention who you are currently working with if they are in a related field and what your interests are - as long as they align/fit very well with your potential mentor. You might even want to quote some recent article of theirs with a finding that interested you or a concept you want clarification on, this is where the ego stroking comes in.

I totally agree though everyone on this board that writing in advance helps out big time. I contacted professors at each school I applied to and kept up correspondance with the person who ultimately accepted me.

I think I am going to keep away from mentioning their research because I tried to do that for my first choice person and the email went over a page and I know they will not read that. However, I will at least get an email together for all of them. Thanks guys.

Don't be affraid to include information about yourself. I made the mistake not including enough. Ask them where they see their research going. It shows you are interested, and more importantly you should want to know the answer to that question. It may help you decide between two or more programs. Remember, as much as you are at their mercy come acceptance time, they are also at yours. They want to appear as attractive as possible to those students who they want to come. They will be doing a fair amount of recruiting. Don't be overly entitlted about it, but they should be doing their best to convince you that you want to go there. This is much like dating folks. You both want to attract the other, while feeling each other out. It may not seem like it at this point, but I think those who have had success would agree with me. Don't overthink it. Be genuine about your interest, polite, and follow simple rules of social interaction and you should be fine. Rarely are advisors total pricks, but they do exist.

Rarely are advisors total pricks, but they do exist.

They certainly do exist. I had the pleasure of hearing back from said prof, and I promptly took it off my list...well...I took it off my list after they rejected me, BUT still, in retrospect, I shouldn't have applied given the attitude I got.

There is one school that is far and away my top choice and because of that, and a few other factors that I won't go into, I will probably apply there regardless. I know, not smart, but I want to at least give that school a shot. In a case like that, is there any reason to email the professor ahead of time, or can there really not be any advantage gained so I should just apply?

There is one school that is far and away my top choice and because of that, and a few other factors that I won't go into, I will probably apply there regardless. I know, not smart, but I want to at least give that school a shot. In a case like that, is there any reason to email the professor ahead of time, or can there really not be any advantage gained so I should just apply?

I don't quite understand. Why wouldn't you give the school a shot? Regardless of what? Whatever the reasoning, it's probably not something that should prevent you from emailing the professor (unless it says something like "applicants should not attempt to contact me" on his or her website).

Incidentally, too, I can understand why you wouldn't want your emails to be too long, but at the same time, I think it's important to establish that you have common research interests. I wouldn't assume the professor wouldn't read an email that was over a page. My emails this summer have all been at least three or four paragraphs, and I've gotten responses from almost everyone.

What I was trying to say is for reasons I won't go into, I think I would apply to this program regardless of if the professor said he was accepting or not. I just really like the program and a professor I work with has some connections with the program. Because of that, I was wondering if I shouldn't email askinng because it may seem a bit odd if I email, he says he isn't accepting, and then I apply anyways. Also, yes, I realize if this is the case I am probably throwing my money away, but it may be worth a shot.

As for length, I think I am going to try to keep it very short and sweet and get it down to about a paragraph. In a business class I am taking now it was recently said that you should give just enough information but not too much because if they are interested they can inquire about what they want to know, but then you aren't the one bragging about it. I think I am going to go with that philosophy.

Ah, I see now. Well, in this case I would still email because, if nothing else, if he is taking students you've established contact and your name may look familiar when he sees your application. If you find out he is not taking students, you can then cater your Personal Statment to mention all the reasons why you still want to apply and why you believe the program is a good fit for you. In short, knowing can't hurt. I don't think it would look weird to still apply if he answers in the negative, as long as you back up your decision.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I did just finish emailing the professors I am interested in working with so now I will wait with my fingers crossed! Thanks again!

If I'm applying to many professors in the same program, is it advisable for my email be directed to all of them simultaneously, or would it be more prudent to mail all of them separately and ask them?

Seperately! You want to send individual e-mails to each one.

Don't be affraid to include information about yourself. I made the mistake not including enough. Ask them where they see their research going. It shows you are interested, and more importantly you should want to know the answer to that question. It may help you decide between two or more programs. Remember, as much as you are at their mercy come acceptance time, they are also at yours. They want to appear as attractive as possible to those students who they want to come. They will be doing a fair amount of recruiting. Don't be overly entitlted about it, but they should be doing their best to convince you that you want to go there. This is much like dating folks. You both want to attract the other, while feeling each other out. It may not seem like it at this point, but I think those who have had success would agree with me. Don't overthink it. Be genuine about your interest, polite, and follow simple rules of social interaction and you should be fine. Rarely are advisors total pricks, but they do exist.

While I generally agree with this statement, I think that this is more true when it comes to interviews. If they are interested enough in your qualifications to invite you to visit, then they will be trying to really gauge your fit with the program and trying to recruit you to attend.

I actually know of several professors who do not like getting inundated with the pre-application emails, though they recognize them as necessary. As a result, I would recommend keeping it short and sweet. I would *not* ask them to respond to questions such as "where do you see your research going?" That is a question to ask at interviews.

Most profs I know will have time to notify an applicant if they are anticipating taking a student, and can provide a link to some relevant publications. But the reality of an academic position is that there is little time to individually reply to applicants via email with long descriptions of one's research program. A relevant lit search or NIH CRISP search should reveal enough at this stage of the game.

Also remember - the next NIH grant deadline is October 1 (November 1 for resubmits). So I would recommend *not* emailing right around those deadlines - if anything, you may not get a fast response.

Good luck! :D

I did keep mine pretty short and sweet, it was only about a paragraph. However, I did ask all of the professors if they were planning on doing suicide (my interest) research in the future just because I know that past research is just that and things change. I think it is good to double check and make sure that they are going in the direction you want, and while that can be done in the interview, it may be best done here just so you know if you want to apply or not. However, if they answer it or not is another story :)

I e-mailed last year and I am e-mailing this year as well. Not all the professors got back to me, but I did find out in the majority of cases who was and who wasn't accepting students. It's amazing how many websites are out of date, and the only way to get this information is to write the professors in the program. In several instances professors asked if I wanted to speak to them on the phone, an opportunity I took advantage of. You'll learn very specifically what professors are looking for in a student, including what type of research they would like to see in their applicants.

Then if you don't get in anywhere, which was my case, you do have some nice connections in the upcoming year. I talked to professors on the phone when I didn't get in, and got some positive feedback. I don't feel like professors will feel inclined to talk unless you have established some type of rapport.

I also agree with the points that if the doctors are rude, you'll quickly realize whether you want to work for them for 4+ years.

Email. Use a short concise message where you indicate your interest and briefly summarize your qualifications, research experience and people you've worked with. No magic necessary.

similar question: if you email a prof and s/he doesn't reply in a reasonable amt of time, is it ok to then email another prof in the department? or should you just take it that the first person saw your email and was just too busy to write back and would be annoyed to find out that you were contacting other profs?

If there are multiple people in a department whose interests closely match yours, then e-mail. If not, don't add another person just so you can keep that school ... might not be a fit anyway.

Do you really think profs have the time to compare their inbox content? When I applied to schools, on my personal statement I named two or three professors from each department that I was interested in. Once the applications were in, I often was contacted by one of the three profs in the department who was most interested in my application. Thus it is reasonable to email a maximum of three potential supervisors. However, once you begin a conversation with one then stick to that one and name him or her as your first choice on your application.
If you don't get a response to your email, it's reasonable to email ONE more time two weeks later.

Quick semi-related question. I have had several professors write me not just telling me about their research but offering me advice and telling me more about the program. Should I just write a quick email back thanking them? I have no problem doing so, but just wasn't sure if that would be a good move. Thanks.

Quick semi-related question. I have had several professors write me not just telling me about their research but offering me advice and telling me more about the program. Should I just write a quick email back thanking them? I have no problem doing so, but just wasn't sure if that would be a good move. Thanks.

Absolutely! It would be rude not to. In fact, send very brief thank you emails to all professors who respond to you.