• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am currently applying to anesthesia but I have done a lot of soul searching lately and I wish I had applied to Peds instead.

I'm wondering what my options are.

1. I could add some peds programs to my ERAS and hope it's not too late for this year. Am I too late?

2. If I do a transitional year next year and apply to peds is there any way to avoid wasting a year? (ie including TY or prelim medicine into the 3 yr peds residency)

Thanks for any help.

Slim

Os4prez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Hey Slim,

I dont think its too late. Just check the deadlines listed on FREIDA. worst case scenario - you missed the deadline - and just contact the PD and ask or explain your situation. I am sure if you were applying for anesthesia and you were competitive for that - then the peds people would love to have you is my guess.

also, there are some places that offer prelim peds. i cant remember for sure, but i think harvard is one of them, you might still be able to apply for that also.

thats all i can think of for now.

peace

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
You can still make it, but I'd apply NOW - or at least before December 1st as that's a potential deadline date. Even major centers like Cinci are still currently downloading (I can confirm since I just applied!) and while some programs may currently be fully booked, if you're a strong candidate you'll likely get offers in January when applicants tend to cancel.

About the Ads

Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks you guys. I called a few programs that I'm interested in and one had a deadline of nov 1, but most are nov 31 or dec 1. So I wrote a personal statement in about an hour and I'm sending my application to a few programs. I'll let you know what happens.

Slim

Unregistered Abuser
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
milwaukee also has prelim peds

and several programs have a december 1st deadline

do your research quickly and apply if you are sure...also, there are plenty of good places that typically do not fill their med-peds programs so you may be able to scramble into that if you want....

About the Ads