1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

To late to apply?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Slim Pickins, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am currently applying to anesthesia but I have done a lot of soul searching lately and I wish I had applied to Peds instead.

I'm wondering what my options are.

1. I could add some peds programs to my ERAS and hope it's not too late for this year. Am I too late?

2. If I do a transitional year next year and apply to peds is there any way to avoid wasting a year? (ie including TY or prelim medicine into the 3 yr peds residency)

Thanks for any help.

Slim

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Os4prez

Os4prez Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey Slim,

I dont think its too late. Just check the deadlines listed on FREIDA. worst case scenario - you missed the deadline - and just contact the PD and ask or explain your situation. I am sure if you were applying for anesthesia and you were competitive for that - then the peds people would love to have you is my guess.

also, there are some places that offer prelim peds. i cant remember for sure, but i think harvard is one of them, you might still be able to apply for that also.

thats all i can think of for now.

peace

4. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can still make it, but I'd apply NOW - or at least before December 1st as that's a potential deadline date. Even major centers like Cinci are still currently downloading (I can confirm since I just applied!) and while some programs may currently be fully booked, if you're a strong candidate you'll likely get offers in January when applicants tend to cancel.

5. SurfingDoctor

SurfingDoctor "Hooray, I'm useful"
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Whoops, I posted in the wrong thread.

But it doesn't hurt to try!

6. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks you guys. I called a few programs that I'm interested in and one had a deadline of nov 1, but most are nov 31 or dec 1. So I wrote a personal statement in about an hour and I'm sending my application to a few programs. I'll let you know what happens.

Slim

7. 14022

14022 Unregistered Abuser
    5+ Year Member

milwaukee also has prelim peds

and several programs have a december 1st deadline

do your research quickly and apply if you are sure...also, there are plenty of good places that typically do not fill their med-peds programs so you may be able to scramble into that if you want....