Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am currently applying to anesthesia but I have done a lot of soul searching lately and I wish I had applied to Peds instead.

I'm wondering what my options are.

1. I could add some peds programs to my ERAS and hope it's not too late for this year. Am I too late?

2. If I do a transitional year next year and apply to peds is there any way to avoid wasting a year? (ie including TY or prelim medicine into the 3 yr peds residency)

Thanks for any help.

Slim

Os4prez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Hey Slim,

I dont think its too late. Just check the deadlines listed on FREIDA. worst case scenario - you missed the deadline - and just contact the PD and ask or explain your situation. I am sure if you were applying for anesthesia and you were competitive for that - then the peds people would love to have you is my guess.

also, there are some places that offer prelim peds. i cant remember for sure, but i think harvard is one of them, you might still be able to apply for that also.

thats all i can think of for now.

peace

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
You can still make it, but I'd apply NOW - or at least before December 1st as that's a potential deadline date. Even major centers like Cinci are still currently downloading (I can confirm since I just applied!) and while some programs may currently be fully booked, if you're a strong candidate you'll likely get offers in January when applicants tend to cancel.

About the Ads

Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks you guys. I called a few programs that I'm interested in and one had a deadline of nov 1, but most are nov 31 or dec 1. So I wrote a personal statement in about an hour and I'm sending my application to a few programs. I'll let you know what happens.

Slim

Unregistered Abuser
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
milwaukee also has prelim peds

and several programs have a december 1st deadline

do your research quickly and apply if you are sure...also, there are plenty of good places that typically do not fill their med-peds programs so you may be able to scramble into that if you want....

About the Ads