applying to two fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurgerWithEggs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So some background: I'm very interested in PEM. It's where I felt happiest and most engaged in residency, so I figured that's what I want to do. I applied last cycle and didn't match. It was a brutal year as I'm sure you know, and an already very competitive PEM fellowship was even more competitive. I have spent the past academic year working all over the place, mostly doing per diem hospitalist work sprinkled in with some newborn nursery, urgent care, and outpatient clinic shifts, all at the program where I completed my residency. Starting in July, I am going to back to that program to be Chief Resident for the following academic year, and I plan on reapplying to PEM.

However, knowing how f'in competitive PEM is, I know there is a chance I won't match for the second time. If that happens, I was thinking that I would also really enjoy a career in pediatric hospitalist medicine, as I've been very much enjoying my per diem hospitalist shifts this past year.

All that is to ask you guys the question - does it make sense to apply for both PEM and pediatric hospitalist medicine fellowships at the same time, given that PEM is super competitive (and PHM is also fairly competitive from what I hear)? I would have LOVED to just get a peds hospitalist job (in case I don't match PEM), but given the Board's annoying recent decision, I'm afraid that if I don't pursue a fellowship in hospitalist medicine, I may be s*** out of luck sometime in the future if programs decide to make fellowship mandatory.

Edit: a few follow up questions - if I do apply to both, do I need to disclose to both programs that I'm applying to the other? Do I need to write one "general" personal statement for both specialties, or should I write two and assign the appropriate one to each specialty? This is all very new to me.

Would appreciate any and all advice, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would def apply to both especially since working in PHM may require the fellowship later on (which I personally don’t agree with and I think it’s BS that IM doesn’t need a “hospital medicine” fellowship but Peds does, so messed up); I wouldn’t disclose it unless you apply to both programs at the same institution - and even then, only if they ask. If they don’t ask, no need to tell them. Your application for each should also be tailored for each, so the PHM programs don’t suspect you’re using them as a back-up.
If you’re friendly with anyone that has matched PEM last year, I would also reach out to them as well, and see what advice they can offer. Good luck and no matter what just remember you can still work PEM and PHM in community hospitals, so don’t let the PHM crap belittle your ambitions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your plan is solid. I agree with Hobbes in that you should tailor your application to both. So have separate personal statements and letters of rec for both. Don't disclose that you are applying both unless directly asked, and be prepared to how you are going to answer the question.

I was a reaaplicant for PEM this past cycle. I'm finishing up my cheif year, I think the chief year will do you good, I got double digit interviews this year as a DO and foreign citizen who needs a visa, and the chief year was a big part in that. It was a brutal cycle and I actually didn't end up matching, but got very fortunate in finding a rare post match PEM spot to start this July.

Wish you the best of luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
I think your plan is solid. I agree with Hobbes in that you should tailor your application to both. So have separate personal statements and letters of rec for both. Don't disclose that you are applying both unless directly asked, and be prepared to how you are going to answer the question.

I was a reaaplicant for PEM this past cycle. I'm finishing up my cheif year, I think the chief year will do you good, I got double digit interviews this year as a DO and foreign citizen who needs a visa, and the chief year was a big part in that. It was a brutal cycle and I actually didn't end up matching, but got very fortunate in finding a rare post match PEM spot to start this July.

Wish you the best of luck this cycle!

Congrats!

Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I'm pretty sure I'll end up applying to both, and write two personal statements, one for each subspecialty. I shall keep y'all posted.

This isn't the residency application, the punishment for not matching is making more money for working fewer hours. If you really want to do PEM, then I would really consider just applying for PEM. If it doesn't work out, spend a year or two working, improving your CV, networking, and re-applying. I don't think I would change career plans just to avoid a year or two working in the community as a hospitalist or staffing a less established pediatric emergency department.

Would you consider dual applying to EM residency? It’s the same length as PEM fellowship and you could likely get a job working in a peds ED having done both residencies.

Would you consider dual applying to EM residency? It’s the same length as PEM fellowship and you could likely get a job working in a peds ED having done both residencies.

The EM/peds people I know have told me there's a general preference for PEM boarded people, at least at major peds academic centers without an EM/peds residency

Yes apply to both, do not disclose applying to two different fellowships.