To: Other Pharmacy Students/Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to gauge where my school is compared with others. Do your schools have mandatory/optional vaccination training?

Members don't see this ad.

It's mandatory but you can opt out, if that makes sense. It's built into the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just trying to gauge where my school is compared with others. Do your schools have mandatory/optional vaccination training?

Optional for my class - mandatory and done in the P2 year for all the classes after mine.

We were actually just talking about this last night. The law in Arizona just changed so pharmacists can now give immunizations w/o a prescription. Before now, from what I can tell, it hasn't been too common for pharmacists to give immunizations in Arizona. One of our professors wants to include it in one of our classes, but probably won't be included for our class.

What are the laws like for pharmacists giving immunizations in other states?

It's optional at Maryland, though it's one of the most popular electives. There was talk about rolling it into the curriculum, but has not progressed from when I last looked.

It's mandatory at UIC. You do it during clerkship/experential 5 orientation week.

I think all the New York schools have a mandatory component at this point, actually.

It was such a tough fight to get it passed through the legislation (took about 13 years), that everyone wants to make sure that there's some follow through. With the amount of restrictions on the legislation and the fact that there's a sunset clause built into it, the different pharmacy organizations have made sure that it's really being pushed in the schools.

I'm not sure if it is optional or mandatory, but I did hear it discussed during orientation.

Talked to our clinical skills professor as to why immunization training wasn't included (we did practically everything else), the gist was that PA law has yet to fully catch up with things. You have to be within range of being a licensed pharmacist (1yr I belive), so we won't be eligible until P-4 to get immunization training.

This was a while ago...if someone at Temple, USP, Duquesne, LECOM, Pitt, or Wilkes can verify, that'd be great.

Also, new direction for the thread, just curious if any of you had an OSCE in the following clinical skills (and, if so, what year):

1) diabetic foot/ulcer exam
2) MMSE
3) med history + adherence counseling
4) ABI for PAD

1, 2, and 4 seem to be oddball ones when talking to my fellow '12 students.

We did all 4 my 3rd year, but in the new curriculum I think it is spread out more.

Talked to our clinical skills professor as to why immunization training wasn't included (we did practically everything else), the gist was that PA law has yet to fully catch up with things. You have to be within range of being a licensed pharmacist (1yr I belive), so we won't be eligible until P-4 to get immunization training.

This was a while ago...if someone at Temple, USP, Duquesne, LECOM, Pitt, or Wilkes can verify, that'd be great.

Also, new direction for the thread, just curious if any of you had an OSCE in the following clinical skills (and, if so, what year):

1) diabetic foot/ulcer exam
2) MMSE
3) med history + adherence counseling
4) ABI for PAD

1, 2, and 4 seem to be oddball ones when talking to my fellow '12 students.

We did 2+3 already (MMSE is the mental status exam right?), not sure about ABI for PAD, can you tell me what that is?

We covered MMSE as part of our CNS module (psych, Parkinson's, etc)
Did Med adherence as part of 1st year pharmacy practice course.
No foot ulcer stuff though.
No ABI yet, but may get it in our cardio module next semester (3rd year).

Immunization training is 1st semester 1st year and we are required to do at least 2 in the general population (either through health fairs or volunteering at a local immunizing pharmacy) within the 1st semester.
I've done a few flu shots during flu season, but mostly Zostavax in the off-season.

We did 2+3 already (MMSE is the mental status exam right?), not sure about ABI for PAD, can you tell me what that is?

ABI (ankle brachial index) is just a calculation involving the BP taken on the arm and around the ankle. you plug in #'s and get a ratio defining someone's status of PAD. you additionally take the DP (dorsalis pedis) pulse and note whether it's 1+, 2+, 3+ or 4+. sounds complicated but it's pretty simple.

We had to interview the SP and differentiate between PAD or something else (possibly DVT) then take the BP's, calculate PAD, and turn in the assessment form.

and yeah MMSE is the mental exam, apple table penny bitches.

It was optional where I went to school... but everyone ended up taking it anyway. May be mandatory by now, though.

still an elective course -although recommended.

Starting in one month, can't wait!