To recent grads..please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brightereyez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there are recent grads here, how hard was it to find a job (corporate or private)? I've really become more concerned with the job outlook due to the fact that there are 3 new schools opening next year; i mean is it possible to not find any kind of position as an O.D. ?

Members don't see this ad.

It completely depends - the area I at first wanted to live in (or thought I wanted to live in) was almost impossible to find a job in that wasn't just part-time. I tried not to stress about the situation and let it work itself out -and it did! I ended up getting a full time position with future buy-in potential in an area that I did want to live!!
My fellow classmates all seem to have foiund places to work - some just doing part time at different offices - but so far it seems to have worked out for everyone. It is tough but you'll make it.

Yeah, how easy it is depends entirely on how choosy you are as far as where you want to live. For me, it was harder (and I was ridiculed for it)...because I have the philosophy that you should work where you want to live rather than just live where you work. Sometimes you get lucky and these things overlap. But optometry is a tricky profession...it is a LOT easier if you're flexible and you can just go wherever the jobs are.

As for my experience, I stuck it out. I really wanted to return to my hometown, and I did.

I had just been offered a full-time employment position in a city about 3.5 hours away from home. It was a pretty good gig, but it would probably always be employment. There are pros and cons to this, but I wasn't totally sold on the location. And it wasn't SO perfect that I felt really good about living in my 2nd choice city.

Just as I was about to have to make a decision, things started falling into place here. I'll be honest...it is riskier (and therefore scarier). I'm working as an independent contractor: Part-time at a private practice, and I'm to start buying in in a year or two. I'm filling in the gaps for now in retail (but as retail goes, it's actually really good...very flexible, which is what I need right now as I'm trying to build up the private practice). Even though it is hard right now, I believe it will be for the best in the long run.

As for my class, something worked out for all of them, too. Even those who wanted to stay in St. Louis, which is pretty saturated since that's where the school is. It's pretty common to have to piece together a couple of part-time gigs, but it's not always the case.

One of my good friends opened a practice cold close to her hometown (pretty rural)...she was working FULL 9-12 hours days six days a week pretty much as soon as she opened the door (it's only been open for a month).

I know this is only anecdotal, but hopefully it gives you an idea. It is stressful, but you will find something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to get off topic, but what are the 3 new schools opening? Western University... and...?

I think the third one is somewhere in Texas.

Glendale, Az - Midwestern
Pomona, CA - Western
San Antonio, Tx - Incarnate Word
Aurora, CO? - Rocky Vista

Glendale, Az - Midwestern
Pomona, CA - Western
San Antonio, Tx - Incarnate Word
Aurora, CO? - Rocky Vista

from what i heard...

I think the colorado school is out.

Also the UIW/San Antonio is looking to expand its vision bachelor's program thereby making it a 4 year bs + 3 year OD type school; it's aiming for a slightly different crowd. It also has SCO's infamous former professor leading the program, so it will be interesting to see what happens. :)

It also has SCO's infamous former professor leading the program, so it will be interesting to see what happens. :)

LOL. I feel like I am really missing out on something since I never got to experience his classes!! :D