To research or not to research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgitms786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is 3.61, science GPA is 3.44. Am going heavy on the MCATing this summer, plan on getting a 30+. I think I have really good extracuriculars (EMT-B, using that lisence w/volunteer work, various leadership positions, etc).

Now: should I research for one semester during second semester sr. year? I will have a heavy course load and have to take labs I wouldn't have to otherwise, but will it be worth it?

Will I be able to put it on my applications for this cylce, or will it be a waste of time?

Also does the type of research matter...like doing research on stomach enzymes (the position I can get for second semester) or rating drugs and conducting surveys..(an option I have that won't cause me to take such a heavy course load).

Bottom line: is it worth doing research second semester of senior year when I am applying this cycle? Will it even count? But if I don't do great on MCAT, it will be good for next year...ahhh what should I do!

Members don't see this ad.

too late to do any meaningful research, you cant learn a lot from a few months of bench works.
but at least you can say in ur interview that you are interested in research, just didnt have the time/oportunity earlier, how you enjoy it now ect....its ur call really

Don't get caught up in doing things you think will look good. Do it because you want to do it. It will show when it comes time to interview.