To take MCAT before post bacc to help low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_professor_cox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Trying to figure out how beneficial a good MCAT score would be on my applications for post baccs. My undergraduate GPA is 2.63c/2.50s with an upward trend and a 3.2c/3.1s GPA during my senior year. I have now been out of school for a little over two years, working as an EMT in a busy 911 system.

I haven't completely decided which post baccs to apply to, so not asking for any specific advice. Just wondering if, in general, it would help my application in any significant way for me to take the MCAT and add it on my applications. My thoughts are that a good MCAT would help show that my GPA is not a good representation of myself. However, due to there not being any MCAT test dates October-December of this year, I would have to take the MCAT in January and not have my scores until many of my applications could/would have been submitted. Just wanted to get some advice and see what other people think.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I wouldn't be pressured to apply so early. I submitted all of my post-bacc/SMP applications in late May and early June of this year for Fall 2017 and have gotten accepted in 2/4 and waiting to hear back from other 2. Maybe I'm lucky but take your time to apply and really get that good MCAT score. My GPA is also bad and definitely a rushed MCAT score will not help boost your application long term when applying to Medical Schools. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users