To take or not to take Orgo I lab over the summer...!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tartheheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused. I have to take Organic I lab either this summer (5 days a week, 2.5 hours a day, for 4 weeks) OR in the fall (1 day a week, 3-4 hours a day, for 10-11 weeks), and will be required to write a total of 7-8 ridiculously long ~20 page lab reports. The class however is just worth 1 credit hour, and hence doesn't justify the extreme amount of work I will need to put in...but then again, it's ORGO!

Assuming I'll have the same time constraints, and an equal relative academic/volunteering work load this summer as well as during the fall..
My Question: when do you think I should take the lab?

Have any of you taken labs (of equal difficulty) over the summer, and found it to be harder/easier?

Some people have suggested that taking a lab over the summer is actually easier as you have more time to focus on writing lab reports, BUT the fact that I will be required to spend 6-7 hours EVERY day during the summer trying to write these lab reports just bores me...:eek: But it'd be good just to get it out of the way so that I'd more time to focus on other important courses in the fall...I'm sooo confused.

I'd really appreciate your advice! Thanks..:)

Members don't see this ad.

1) My Question: when do you think I should take the lab?

2) Have any of you taken labs (of equal difficulty) over the summer, and found it to be harder/easier?

1) You answered your own question with the advice I'd have given: " it'd be good just to get it out of the way so that I'd more time to focus on other important courses in the fall... "

2)Each school is probably different. I took summer orgo lab, and then TAed the same course in the fall. The number of labs and required lab reports was exactly the same. The only difference was that the summer class was smaller and one could get more assistance if things didn't go well. The work load was identical.

Definitely take the Orgo. series in the summer and take them as your only classes each session (if your school offers both courses in two separate summer sessions). I took Orgo with other courses that took a lot of time and was therefore unable to devote as much time to Orgo. and I got a 2.5 and 3.0 in Orgo I and II respectively. So take them now, and devote all your time to them ;). After all, the classes really weren't THAT hard. I just wish I had devoted more time to them.