To the PD's: Thank you letters and e-mails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leporello

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if any PD's surf this site (and if you do, you're probably amused by the ongoing catecholamine surge :eek:) but I was wondering if you could give us an honest take on thank you letters etc. Here are my questions.

1. I'd really like to just send a brief e-mail after my interviews expressing my genuine gratitude for having been invited (honest)...this should take 2-3 sentences (AT THE MOST). Do faculty really care about us elaborating further on why we liked the prorgam so much? Is it genuine enough JUST to say thanks, even if the program knocked our socks off and we're pretty sure we're going to rank in the top 3? Do we really need to repeat all the "Oh, I love the reseach going on in your hospital, you're in such a great location, I've always wanted to live in Alaska"

2. E-mail or hand written letter...does it matter?

3. If we really liked the program, can we send a follow-up e-mail to the PD in May to say that we're really enthusiastic about the program even if it's not our number one (i.e. your 2nd and 3rd choice)? I'm not suggesting you tell multiple places you're ranking it #1, just a brief note at the end of interview season saying, "you guys are awesome, I think we'd do well together, keep me on your radar"

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.