To those ACCEPTED to CA pharm schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davispharm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now and it has been a great resource for me.

I will be applying to pharmacy school for the fall of 2004. I've noticed that many on this board have gotten accepted into the CA pharm schools and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am particularly interested in those that got into UCSF, UCSD, and USC.

Here are my stats:

I'm currently a junior at UC Davis, majoring in NPB (Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior).
GPA: 3.52
Extracurriculars: ASUCD student government commission member
Assistant to ASUCD president
Article published
Member in NPB Club
Volunteer at the community library
Job working in a plant research lab on campus

I am going to try and get some volunteer or paid experience in a pharmacy this summer.

If you could please post up your information, it would help me see what it takes to be a successful applicant. Also, if you have any suggestions on how I can strengthen my profile, I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Davispharm,

You've already got a strong app as is. The only 'deficiencies' are the ones you are aware of: Gaining pharmacy experience. They like that a lot at UCSF. My strong advice is to work in a pharmacy. I've volunteered at UCSF, and although you'll gain some familiarity with pharmacy, you don't get enough hands on to speak really confidently about how pharmacies work.

Something off-the-wall is good too. I volunteered with the Hand-On San Francisco in a needle exchange to give iv drug users clean needles in the Tenderloin district. This leads to my next point:

Write good essays. It'll get you that extra attention at places like UCSF, UCSD, USC. To write a good essay you need good experiences or thoughts on pharmacy. Try to peruse LATimes.com or NYTimes.com or read the Wall Street Journal regarding issues facing health care or pharmacy and try to find something that interests you. There's also help writing your essays. I found this book called "Essays that will get you into Medical School" I used that for ideas on my personal statement to UCSF and UCSD.

I'm making this look a lot more intimidating that it really is. I was accepted to UCSF, and I don't even have close to your GPA But, that's what's cool: if you wrote a great essay, and gained some experience I could guarantee your acceptance to the program of your choice.

Other peoples' thoughts?

Oh yeah(especially with pharmcas this year)

APPLY EARLY

I read somewhere online that the single best way to improve your application is to apply early

Members don't see this ad :)
This site is extremely useful for information regarding California Pharmacy Schools.

http://www-chem.ucsd.edu/Academic/Ugrad/publications/pharm.school.reqts.pdf

(2000-2001 stats, I am sure the stats is significantly higher this year-----I hope this help)

There are four pharmacy schools currently operating in California,
and a fifth pharmacy school will open its doors in Fall 2002 at UC
San Diego. These four pharmacy schools have significantly
different requirements, but the following outlines should help you
prepare to apply at each of these schools.
Be aware that admissions requirements change regularly. Check
with the schools to which you are applying and confirm that you
have the most up-to-date listing of their admissions requirements.
General Notes
 None of the California pharmacy programs currently require
the PCAT examination.
 At least two of the five schools in California do not allow the
AP exam to satisfy their entrance requirement for general
chemistry. If you have scored a 4 on the AP Chemistry
examination, take Chem 6AH, BH and CH. If you have
scored a 5, talk to an adviser and discuss your options.
 Though pharmacy schools do not require a bachelor?s
degree, schools tend to prefer students with a B.A. or B.S.
or who have completed significant work beyond the courses
required for admission. You will be much more competitive if
you complete your bachelor?s degree.
 The average GPA of selected applicants at most institutions
is at least 3.0. Most are closer to 3.5. You should maintain a
GPA of 3.0 or higher (especially in your science classes) to
maximize your chances of admission.
 As of Fall 2002, there will only be five pharmacy schools in
California. California pharmacy programs have limited
spaces and are highly competitive. You will increase your
chances of admission into a pharmacy school if you look at
schools outside of California as well. You can find more
information on Pharmacy programs at the Career Service
Center or through the Academic Enrichment Program?s
Health Professions Program.

UCSD and UCSF
 Minimum GPA is 2.0 for California residents with a
bachelor?s degree, 2.4 for California residents who have not
completed a bachelor?s degree and 2.8 for non-residents.
 Approximately 80% of accepted students have a GPA of 3.5
or higher and have completed their bachelor?s degree,
usually in Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry.
 Admitted students will be expected to be computer literate,
and a computer will be required on entry into the program.
 UCSF admits very few students who have not completed
their bachelor?s degree. In the Fall 2000 class, only one
Pharm.D. student did not have a bachelor?s degree before
being admitted into the program.
 UCSD will admit only 25 students in its first incoming class
of 2002. By Spring of 2001, the UCSD School of Pharmacy
had received over 700 requests for applications. In order to
be competitive, you will need to surpass the minimum
requirements, and should complete your B.S. program.

USC
 USC does not grant equivalency for Advanced placement
exams.
 Minimum GPA of students interviewed: 3.0
 Average GPA of students interviewed: 3.41
 Average overall GPA of students admitted: 3.47
 Average science GPA of students admitted: 3.42
 Percentage of applicants admitted: 36%
 Percentage of applicants with BA/BS: 72%
 Percentage of students admitted with BA/BS: 83%

UOP
Students who have completed a BA or BS are exempt from
the General Education requirement.
 Minimum GPA required: none
 Average GPA of accepted students: 3.1 ? 3.4

Western
Minimum GPA required: 2.50
 Average GPA accepted students: 3.13 overall
3.0 science
 Percentage of applicants admitted: approx. 25%
 Western University does not grant equivalency for
Advanced placement exams. Students must complete the
general chemistry sequence.
 While a bachelor?s degree is not required, preference is
given to students who have completed the bachelor?s
degree or completed more courses than the minimal
admissions requirement.

Hey...all cali pharm schools suck(sorry cali students)....they are as expensive as HELL...like they expect every student to be some rich kid...

Go for ucsf...it is cheap.

hey bmbiology

since you posted the link to loma linda, do you know or have you heard anything about their school? good/bad? what if a school isn't accredited yet... what impact does that have on you? ok, sorry for all the questions!!

thanks!

ok nm about the accreditation... i guess they'll be granted it once the first class graduates.. or could they NOT be granted? do you think they are very competitive?

sorry, I dont know anything about Loma Linda.

Officially, SC won't give you credit for APs, but you can kinda play with that (I did.)

Loma Linda integrates christian principles into the curriculum, so you've gotta be comfortable with that style of education (not for me thank you.)

Pre-pharmacy course requirements typically include, but are not limited to:
Calculus 1 to 2 quarters
General chemistry 1 year with up to two labs
Organic chemistry 2 to 3 quarters with up to two labs
Physics 0 to 2 quarters
Biology 3 quarters plus a lab
Economics 1 quarter (macro or microeconomics)
Psychology 1 quarter general psychology
Speech/Public Speaking 1 quarter
Writing/Composition 2 to 3 quarters

Some schools also require a course in:
*Microbiology
*Human Anatomy
*Mammalian Physiology
*Statistics
*Biochemistry

Check with pharmacy schools, or Pharmacy School Admission Requirements, for exact number of labs required (e.g., USC
requires two organic chemistry laboratory courses).
Applicants must take additional electives in the humanities and social sciences to satisfy general admission
requirements for schools of pharmacy.

Standardized Tests
Some pharmacy programs require applicants to take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). (None of the pharmacy
schools in California require it.) The five content sections of the PCAT are designed to measure verbal ability, quantitative ability,
reading comprehension, knowledge of basic principles and concepts of biology, and general and elementary organic chemistry.

The PCAT is typically offered once each fall, winter and spring. PCAT registration/information booklets are available in Career
Services, or by calling The Psychological Corporation (800-622-3231) or at www.psychcorp.com A few schools require scores
from either the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program.

Non-Academic Requirements
Admissions committees are interested in each applicant?s personal characteristics such as their demonstrated ability to
communicate effectively both orally and in writing, motivation to be a pharmacist, maturity, and interest in serving others. These
qualities are assessed through the information the applicant provides in the application essay, letters of reference and the
personal interview. Pharmacy schools encourage applicants to seek out experiences (paid or unpaid) that will help them confirm
pharmacy as their career choice. Although not required, most successful applicants do have some record of service, experience
that might also have helped them develop skills like interviewing, listening, advising or teaching.

A personal statement or some other form of written narrative is part of each application. This essay provides the candidate an
opportunity to describe the process and experience by which he/she decided to become a pharmacist, and other academic and
life experiences which helped them develop as a person. Career Services offers a handout, ?Professional School Application
Personal Statement?. Advisors critique essays on request.
Letters of reference (two or three) from some combination of professors, employers, supervisors, extracurricular advisors or
pharmacy professionals are typically required to provide more information on each candidate. ?A Student Guide to Obtaining
Letters of Reference? is available in Career Services, which also offers a reference letter file service as a convenient mechanism
for the collection and distribution of reference letters.
Interviews are required of applicants by most pharmacy colleges when the admissions committee determines that the applicant is
competitive for admission. The interview facilitates assessment of the applicant and affords the applicant a chance to tour the
campus, meet with faculty and currently enrolled students, and learn about financial aid and housing.

THE APPLICATION PROCESS
There is currently no centralized application service for pharmacy; students must solicit applications from and apply to schools
directly. (The Pharmacy Centralized Application Service (PharmCAS) is scheduled for launch in July 2003 for students
applying for Fall 2004 enrollment in pharmacy school.) Application deadlines typically range from November 1 to March 1 for
entry in the following fall. Applicants are advised to apply early, particularly if the school uses a rolling admissions process.
Consult Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements for information on curriculum, GPA, test scores, admission requirements, tuition, location, housing and other factors as you choose schools to which you will apply.

THE PHARMACY PROFESSION
Although pharmacists are known as professionals whose primary function is to compound and dispense medicines prescribed by
physicians, dentists, or other authorized health care providers, the responsibilities of pharmacists are substantially broader,
primarily in the areas of direct patient care and patient education. Pharmacists must have strong communication skills and the
ability to relate well to patients and other health care providers. As pharmacists have become more involved in educating patients
about the medications they are taking, including drug interactions and side effects, communication skills have become
increasingly important. Pharmacists who work in community pharmacies must also develop effective management and
interpersonal skills.

The majority of pharmacists work in community pharmacies, from independent prescription only, such as those found in medical
offices, to retail chain pharmacies which also sell other items. Other pharmacists work in hospitals and other health care facilities, are employed in research and development efforts in research or manufacturing companies, or are engaged in teaching or research in universities. Opportunities are also becoming available for pharmacists with advanced training (Pharm.D + fellowship or residency) to work as clinical pharmacists in practitioner specialties such as ambulatory care, clinical pharmacokinetics, geriatrics, oncology, psychopharmacy, drug information and nutrition support. Pharmacists have also been instrumental in establishing many of the poison information and control centers across the country. There is currently a nationwide shortage of pharmacists, and the job outlook for the profession is excellent.

For additional career information, literature like The Pfizer Guide: Pharmacy Career Opportunities is available. The Virtual Library on Pharmacy can be visited on the Web at http://www.pharmacy.org

You guys rock!! Thanks for all the feedback and esp. to BMBiology for posting up all the info and links!!!! :clap: :clap:

:idea:

Oh yeah Davispharm. You should consider attending one of UCSF's application seminars. You can schedule them on their website. It's well worth the hour-and-a-half drive from Davis. You'll get a great feel for the school, and the process. The admissions office director James Betzbeze actually presented the seminar, so it can't hurt to get acquainted with him. Although, he never really helped me out much. The only flaw is they don't have you meet with students, but still very much worth the time.

It is the end of March, I think all of the California pharmacy schools have stopped interviewing.

Originally posted by BMBiology
It is the end of March, I think all of the California pharmacy schools have stopped interviewing.

huh?

UCSD and UCSF's last interview date:
January 31

USC's last interview date:
March 22

Western's last interview date:
Late March

UOP's last interview date:
Late March I believe