During third year surgery weeks we had groups of 3 each assigned to a dog. The surgery dogs needed: an intake PE, bloodwork, and fecal test done during lunch on Monday, a PE, SOAP, and treatments every morning before class, and a PE and treatments after class. We usually checked them at lunch, we were there until 10-11PM recovering them from surgery on the surgery day, and we took the extra time to find homes for almost every dog that found its way into our program. It was super stressful at the time but I will never forget those three dogs my group had, we made sure they all had happy endings and they all taught me something that will help every single animal I ever do surgery on in the future. Try and focus on that for your beagle... get a clicker and teach it something and you will learn something too. Presumably the people that have dogs at home now, will still have those dogs during clinics and I would say <5% of days on clinics would be conducive to going home at "lunch."