TOEFL Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone who graduated college from a US institution had to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) because English was not their native/first language?

I'm currently looking Regis University and their website states "If English is not your native/first language, you must meet the following language proficiency requirement:" I find it weird because I attended 2nd grade through college in the US and I'm even a US citizen. I can't even speak my native language anymore. I'll be contact Regis on this matter but just wondering if anyone who is in the same situation had to take the TOEFL.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am in the same situation and I am re-applicant. I have not had this problem. I think as long as you did your undergrad in here, you will be fine. But I would still make sure. I have never thought about this question. Thanks for bringing that up...:)

I contacted about 8 schools regarding TOEFL in CA. All of them except of one say that TOEFL is for international students (those who have student visa in the US). One school says that as I am not a native speaker, I MAY still have to take TOEFL but it MAY be waived after the interview. I assume that if schools see that we already took prerequisites here in the US, we can understand English:).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a message from Regis. Here is what they said:

"We can waive the TOEFL requirement if a candidate has graduated both high school and college from an US institution."

Most of the programs say its for international students but I found it weird that Regis said "If English is not your native/first language"

easb - Thanks for the input. What schools did you contact and which school said they may waive it after the interview?

jasonc , Loma Linda says it may waive TOEFL. The following schools say that TOEFL is for international students only: Long Beach, CSUN, USC, Western University of Health Science, Chapman, Azusa. :)