Toledo aka MCO aka MUO decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, after debating all morning I called and quickly asked if they had met on my file yet. The secretary (I think it might have been Ms. Burgin, but I'm not sure) was really nice. It seems every candidate has a particular date they are up for review (e.g. a particular date they've been scheduled into the adcomm's agenda.) For what it's worth, she gave me my exact date. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing in terms of minimizing worrying....so decide on your own if you want to call. =)

Hmm...now that you posted that comment about the secretary being busy I sorta regret calling. I hate it when I'm doing my work and then I get interrupted by something trivial, totally derails my train of thought. So I can only imagine what it must be like for a secretary to get like two or three of those every hour...

Members don't see this ad.

Oops sorry double posted...

If anyone hears from Toledo about the early Februrary interviews, please post something. It will be anyday now and it is driving me nuts.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey smpco02, i should have specified.. i was an early feb interviewee and she told me march 6 is the date. hope that helps. =) don't stress--we're all rooting for ya!!

i'll start getting anxious again around march 4.. for now though i'm going to go enjoy the last few ski days of the season and hopefully force-wean myself off this SDN addiction.

Thanks Shpamme, now I can relax. At the interview, they say your position on the waitlist is based on the a score you are given. Do you think a LOI will effect this in anyway?

Haha, I'm glad it helps!! Oy ve..you know, that's a loaded question, only because I keep hearing mixed reviews. But BuckeyeforBass earlier in the thread told me to send one, and I can't see what the harm would be. Well, except that it will give the staff one more thing to file.. and if we all were hesitating calling because we didn't want to bother them, then sending a letter seems worthy of even more hesitation..

I too wondered if a LOI could affect the score much. As I recall, the scoring is done by each adcom giving you a score from 1-5 via secret ballot, then those scores are averaged to give your final position. Unless each member of the adcomm gets to see it (e.g. if they make copies of your file for each adcomm who is sitting at the round table.), I can't see it affecting the score that much. But if they have a chance to review your files in depth beforehand, instead of just announcing your stats and your EC's at the table as I recall Dr. Burns describing, then they may get a chance to actually read the letter in its entirety and it might make a good impression on them--that would ultimately result in a higher score?

Hehe.. I'ma take a couple day to think about it--I promise I'll let you know what I decide. =) Take care!

Thanks Shpamme, now I can relax. At the interview, they say your position on the waitlist is based on the a score you are given. Do you think a LOI will effect this in anyway?

An LOI can't hurt.

bumping thread.

I also interviewed three weeks ago in toledo. I actually got an e-mail from my interviewer the day after the interview wishing me good luck and giving me a heads up on a job opportunity! What does that mean?! it has made me more anxious then ever! They told us that they were 2-3 weeks behind on the admin comm process.

:eek: the people at MCO were unbelievably nice, clearly a major + to the school, ill be withdrawing my acceptance next week, good luck you guys,

Monster and smpco02, I interviewed on February 1st and as far as I know my file has already gone to the admission committee on Tuesday and they should already have the results. So i am giving it a couple more days before the mail should arrive. Good luck to every1.

Interview on Feburary 5, Acceptance letter came in the mail today. Good luck Y'all!

BuckeyeForBass, You are the best!!!!! Thank you for reminding me of the in state logistics.

Okay, I promise to be a glass-half full person until March 1. But if March 1 rolls around and the mailman still hasn't brought round the love, all bets are off and I'm going back to being a glass half-empty person. Possibly forever. :p

perfect example... i interviewed there in november, was accepted, and then interviewed at cincinnati and was accepted there. i withdrew from toledo immediately because of UC's rank. i am sure there are many more like me.

Congrats BuckeyeforBass!! SO SO SO SO SO happy for you!!!! =)
Go out and celebrate.. get some good sushi or seafood!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a spot at Toledo. So excited!!! :D

Do any of you guys know if there was a cafetria? student lounge? 24 hr studying room?
It seems I can't remember anything from the tour. Are you guys planning to go back and have a 2nd look?

Also, can any current TOL students tell us the schedule of first 2 years? mostly when breaks start/end. especially the summer between 2nd and 3rd year, board timing and everything.

Thanks and g'luck to those who are still waiting! :luck:

Have a spot at Toledo. So excited!!! :D

Do any of you guys know if there was a cafetria? student lounge? 24 hr studying room?

Thanks and g'luck to those who are still waiting! :luck:

Congrats on the acceptance and thanks for the goodluck wishes Honey Mustard! Could I ask when you interviewed?

I don't remember being taken to te cafeteria, but there was this neon sign for a basement restaurant in the Mulford Lobby. We didn't see any student lounges on our tour, but I know the library has extended hours during finals. And the student who conducted our tour talked about how the big conference rooms were kept open and people sometimes studied there all night.

If I get in I don't think I'll go for a second look--I was really happy the first time I went. Do they have a formal second look day, or do you just do it on your own? I know on SDN there are a couple people thinking of heading out in July to explore again.

Interviewed on January. Thanks for the information, Shpamme. :)

For those who got accepted, did you guys receive a financial aid packet? It says sometime in February. Emailed them, no response. :confused:

Honey, i think there is a student lounge in the basement of Mulford library. The basement restaurant in Mulford is no longer open to my knowledge.

There are actually two student lounges. One is next to the lecture halls and the other is in the basement of mulford library building. The one in mulford is adjacent to the call rooms used by the residents and students on call. Both lounges have a television, computers, microwaves, and refrigerators. The lounges in the basement of mulford also have a ping-pong table and a pool table. The cafeteria in mulford was closed a couple years ago b/c no one used it and is now used for studying or meetings. There is a cafeteria in the hospital....pretty decent for a cafeteria I guess but I hardly ever eat there.

Second year ends May 1 or 2 this year with our last test and we have until July 2 off. In that time you schedule for step I. Most people schedule for June 10-20. Christmas break is ~2 weeks. You'll start on or about August 20 with classes, and orientation will be a few days earlier.

Thanks Hallm_7!!!

You are the BEST!!! :D

I wonder how Toledo organizes their agenda. I interviewed on Feb. 1st, and I don't get reviewed till March 6th. On the other hand, some people that interviewed on the 1st or later have already gone before the panel for review. I wonder if the admissions committee purposely wants to torture me. I had a surprise interview from NEOUCOM on Monday. I sent in my apps in September and they give me an interview out of the blue with only a few days to prepare (thanks for giving me some time to totally mess up my work schedule ;) ). Anyways, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go because the school doesn't get much love on the interview feedback forum, the class is made up of 75% 6-year BS/MD who were described as immature (due to taking 25 credits/semester all year round to finish BS in 2 years), and the interview was for an alternate spot in case the BS/MD students don't qualify for their spot or choose to go to another med school. I decided to go because it was an hour drive, so no big loss financially to me. From what I saw, I kinda liked it. Everything was newer (school has been around since 1972), the students were cool, facilities (except gym) where nice, and the cost of living is cheap. So I have to be skeptical because the school is only going to show you the best parts. Does anyone have any input on this school? I'm really rooting for Toledo, I've only heard back from 1 school (OU) but I'm trying to stay close to Cleveland. Since Case showed me no love (sorry I didn't have a 35 MCAT or minority status), Toledo and NEOUCOM are my next options.

The date your file gets reviewed depends on when the interviewers submit their evaluations of you. So it appears that one or both of yoru interviewers were late. BTW, I also interviewed on the 1st. I was the only asian guy there. Who were you?

I was the only one wearing a green shirt, from Cleveland, talked about how I've been flipping houses. I think I was right next to you on your left. Did you hear anything yet? When I went to one of my interviews, some lady told me they were on vacation. Talk about an awkward moment. Another anesthesiologist standing by overheard the dilemma, and volunteered to do the interview. A really nice guy, first interview I had where they had no information about me.

Good ol' waitlist. I think I am a pro at getting them. I really liked the school too.

Haha, Toledo has the most interesting applicants. The day I applied I interviewed with a pro-baseball player. And Smpco07 flips houses! That's so unbelievably cool that they consider people with diverse experiences...it's not just lip service. Metatemujin, I know you're bummed but the waitlist can still be a good thing! Remember Dr. Burns said quite a few people get in off the waitlist. Hang in there.. Thanks for the info about the interviewers evals. That clears a lot up for me. Assuming it works the same way at other schools I interviewed at, it clears the process up there as well. Take care guys.

I wouldn't mind being waitlisted in the top third tier, but I can't wait till July or August to find out. I have one acceptence at a school that starts August 1st, so I will be signing a lease in July. It would suck to have moved just to play it safe then get in at one of your top choices. How about Toledo does both of us a favor and accepts me so I don't have to worry, and they don't have to hear me call them everyday to see if the waitlist moved.

I hope both of you guys get in!

Are you guys OH residents? I think waitlist movement is pretty decent for Toledo, both in-state and oos.

It's a great school but often times its not ppl's first choice, due to location mostly (although I think toledo is not bad at all), so you guys will have no problem getting in!

Good luck!!! :luck:

Oh.. and no financial aid packet yet? anybody? :confused:

so i just got an interview invite in the mail yesterday... does anyone know if they even have any spots left?

If I'm lucky, they will have one less ;) . I'm really not sure about an exact number, but I'm sure they have some. They are getting down to the end of the interviewing season, so I would assume not many. They should be building up their waitlist, and if you get in the top third, you have an excellent chance of getting in.

Hey Honey, Nope..OOS. =) If I get accpeted and get a financial aid packet I promise to post.
Best of luck Kateycat! It's a fun interview.. don't be stressed, just go have fun and enjoy the beautiful campus!

It's already march and I didn't get a financial package yet. Has everyone sent in their fafsas yet?

Yeah I sent my fafsa about 3 weeks ago and havent gotten the fin aid packet yet either. The letter says they are going to send the packet in feb, so its weird we havent gotten it..hmmm

Everyone keeps talking about fafsa's, I haven't even thought about taxes yet. I guess I should get on it.

Tomorrow is the big day for some of us:scared: , good luck for those going before the admissions committee tomorrow.

Thanks Smpco02!! I echo the sentiment.. good luck to everyone!! So nervous I can't sleep... :confused:
Do you guys know if they call at all? Or do they only mail letters postal mail? I have a new phone number, but not sure whether I really need to update it.

I know, at least if you're accepted, you should expect a letter. I wouldnt get all wound up about getting a letter this week, as I live about 2 hrs from Toledo and didnt recieve my letter until the monday after I was reviewed. I dunno if you can call to check or not ... but it might be worth a shot if you're losing sleep :)

Heres wishing all of you the best. Just remember that a waitlist here is not the end of the world, as the WL has a decent turnover rate.

Let us know :thumbup:

It's already march and I didn't get a financial package yet. Has everyone sent in their fafsas yet?

I got my package from them late last week. Fafsa done the Saturday Before. Weird though ... they said in their finaid packet that we wouldnt know about awards until June .... Financial Aid will be a major player in my decision on where to go ... hummmmmmm

Thanks Buckeye =) For the info AND the encouragement. I'll put off worrying until mid-next week then.

I have a quick question for you guys. I'm gonna post it in the FinAid forum too, but you guys respond quicker and you've already had experience filling out your FAFSAs. =)

If parents didn't file a 2006 tax return yet (they plan to file an extension), then do you fill out the FAFSA with a 2005 tax return? Does that work? The FAFSA worksheet specifically asks what their gross income e.t.c. is from their 2006 return.

I hate to make you worry again Shpamme, but the admissions office said that they get the decisions tomorrow afternoon. They also said you can call and get the news over the phone :scared:

Oh gosh.. Thanks Smpco02!!

Oy .. another sleepless night. You know, I think I might actually wait for the letter. I got two (preinterview) rejections today already when I called for status, and I think I'd be completely bummed out if I were to hear the tomorrow via phone that I've been waitlisted. Plus I had prepared myself to hear mid next week after Buckeye's post. But thank you so much for letting me know!!

Haha.. I gave in and called. I got waitlisted. I am so unbelievably sad... this totally feels hopeless. Two waitlists now.. =(

Don't be too depressed Shpamme, I got the big W also. This late in the game our odds were dwindling. Now it will come down to my position on the wait list, which we won't know till March 15th. What I'm worried about is that I got accepted to one school but classes start on Aug 2nd. So if Toledo doesn't give me hope by July 15th, I'm not going to take a chance and turn down my other spot. But if all goes well, I'll see you in Toledo. Cheer up, you put in a good fight to even get this far. Toledo's waitlist moves fairly well, you'll get in. I'm sure I'll see you again in the "Is Toledo's waitlist moving yet" threads that will pop up soon.

Hey Shpamme. Good luck with everything and keep your head up, Ill keep my fingers crossed that something will work out for you.

OH MY GOSH the two of you are so sweet. Thank you so much, it totally cheered me up to open this thread and see your posts!! I was so down, I drove around for two hours straight by myself just moping.. but then I came home and saw your posts and I'm starting to feel better already.

Smpco02, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.. I know you have your heart set on Toledo. And Braluk, you too man.. thanks again. You guys are seriously the best.

I'll post again in a couple days.. I'm going to take two days and go to the mountains to think for a bit.. and hopefully strategize how to get off these waitlists.

Hey Guys!

I interviewed at Toledo on Jan 22nd. I received my waitlist letter a few weeks later. Does anyone know when the waitlist will be ranked? I was truly impressed with Toledo when I was there.

Good Luck To Everyone!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Toledo (interviewed a few weeks ago, waiting on a decision), but to those of you on the waitlist I'm pretty sure there's hope.

From what I recall (my notes are at home):

-once they calculate your score after the adcom votes, you are put directly on the alt list
-only those top people on the list are let in after each meeting, sometimes it's the people that just interviewed, sometimes it's the people that were waiting to be bumped up or have people ahead of them pulled, but the whole alt list is fluid. You can be pulled after any adcom meeting if you've worked your way to the top.
-In may, after the last round of interviews, they will review all files and then formalize the list into tiers.

Top Tier- Good Shot (they almost always go through this)
Middle Tier- Depends on where you stand, there's hope though
Lower Tier- Probably should make other plans

They also stressed that it is good to show interest and provide updates when you find out your tier.

Good luck all. :luck: