Toledo MSBS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checked my portal and got accepted!! Very excited and wasn't expecting to hear back so soon. Submitted 3/13.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Sophil15 @Miracle_Max Do you guys know how it works for people who are concurrently applying to other med schools during the MSBS? Does Toledo send progress reports or do students just send schools their grades after the Fall semester is done?
Also are there any good gyms/fitness facilities in the area?
Thanks so much for answering all of our questions.

You apply as you normally would and for most schools you can just send an update letter detailing your grades/attach an unofficial transcript for good measure. Once your actual transcript comes in you can send that in for verification.

Plenty of gyms around as well! Most apartment complexes have one, and there's a rec center on both the main undergraduate campus and one attached to the hospital which you can walk to from class. I've never had a problem finding places to workout (barring any pandemics), and there are tons of pretty nice metroparks if you prefer running outdoors or going on walks. There's even an outdoor calisthenics gym at a park near main campus for any of the more gymnastic/calisthenics inclined like myself.

Do you guys know how it works for people who are concurrently applying to other med schools during the MSBS? Does Toledo send progress reports or do students just send schools their grades after the Fall semester is done?
So there are essentially 2 ways to do your primary AMCAS application. You can list that you are enrolled in the MSBS program (but say you don't need a transcript cause you won't have one till december), or just not list it as a program in your AMCAS app. I didn't list it in mine because I didn't know where I was going yet for my SMP but it worked out, however in hindsight I probably would have preferred to have listed it. If you choose to not list it in our AMCAS app (like me) make SURE to talk it up in your secondaries. If you interview before December, you don't really have anything to show med schools that want to interview you, unless you want to get a certified note from the school confirming program enrollment. As soon as I received my transcript in December, I did fire off MSBS Fall transcripts to the schools I sent my application to. Potentially you can also roll the dice and send out update letters at the end of December to schools you have apps at (but some schools don't like update letters). MSBS doesn't send update letters to other schools other than the certified enrollment form if you want it (I didn't get it as I was sure schools didn't care). I still managed to interview and get acceptances at 4 MD and 1 DO school, and many of my classmates also got multiple outside acceptances during the MSBS cycle so it can be done. Just is tricky.

Also are there any good gyms/fitness facilities in the area?
You got 4 options
1. The Moorse center. Our beloved on-campus gym right there where classes are at. It has what you need, a basketball court, handball courts, a track, equipment, etc, but is a bit dated. This is my go-to. Many med students and faculty use it.
2. The main campus gym. Updated and nice. Full of too many horney undergrads staring at my toned ass for my taste.
3. The gym at your apartment complex if it has one. Quality varies by location obvi.
4. Other gyms. Many people use Planet Fitness, YMCA CrossFit, LA-fitness, Orange theory, etc etc other big brand gyms, but there are also some cool smaller gyms like Ironworks, LBs, Revitalize, etc. Just depends on what kind of gym environment you want.

Do either of you two know if there is a facebook group for this upcoming years MSBS students.

I dont know. I'd be a little surprised if there was one yet as the current MSBS class hasn't received their admission decisions from ADCOMS. Last year I think we waited until June until we heard from ADCOMS before making the incoming classes facebook page.

After reading old threads, I am a little concerned at the low number of students that are accepted to UTCOM out of the MSBS program. In 2015, only 10 were accepted. In 2017, less than half were accepted. Is anyone else concerned about this? For current/former MSBS students, do you think this can be attributed to primarily poor student performance or is it indicative of a not as strong linkage (65-80%) as advertised?

After reading old threads, I am a little concerned at the low number of students that are accepted to UTCOM out of the MSBS program. In 2015, only 10 were accepted. In 2017, less than half were accepted. Is anyone else concerned about this? For current/former MSBS students, do you think this can be attributed to primarily poor student performance or is it indicative of a not as strong linkage (65-80%) as advertised?

Definitely also super worried about this, would love to hear input from anyone who knows anything about this :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After reading old threads, I am a little concerned at the low number of students that are accepted to UTCOM out of the MSBS program. In 2015, only 10 were accepted. In 2017, less than half were accepted. Is anyone else concerned about this?
Yeah this is something that was concerning to me as well prior to moving thousands of miles to do this SMP. Was also something I was super stressed about while in the MSBS program until acceptances started coming in. For others that didn't get their UTCOM acceptance until June (or others that didn't get in anywhere), that is like 10 months of crazy stress worrying about that very thing. SMPs in general are an expensive crapshoot. Historically from what I have been told by ADCOMs, UTCOM has accepted from the MSBS class as few as 2 students, and as many as everyone-except-2, but the overall average sits somewhere between 65-80% (they won't tell me the exact number for whatever reason) when they run the numbers for every year since the MSBS program started. ADCOMs has been pretty clear though: if they like you, they will take you. If they don't like you, they wont, and if your MCAT is too low, they also very likely won't take you.

My year, 60% of us moved on to UTCOM. However another 20% of us are somewhere else wearing a white coat (or pajamas more likely right now). One of the advantages of this program is that it is in a state with multiple medical schools, and borders states with multiple medical schools (Mich and Penn). Many students who do not got to UTCOM after MSBS either go to some other school in the state, or one of the bordering states either by choice (as much as it pains me, UTCOM is not the most prestigious school, though it is a very good school), or because they didn't get accepted at UTCOM. In my case I was also accepted to schools back in my home state (but screw them for not letting me in my first 4 times applying), as well as here in Ohio.

Had I been admitted to an SMP that offered guaranteed admission if I maintain a certain GPA or whatever, yeah i would have done that instead of Toledo. However, the next best thing to me was a program that offered basically a guaranteed interview, and reasonable matriculation rates (i would take a 60% chance of matriculation while simultaneously addressing my application shortcomings any day since I can also have a higher chance of getting in elsewhere) with the added benefit of being in Ohio next to Michigan and Penn. Somewhere else in this long thread I have listed all my other intangibles for why I chose Toledo over the other programs I was accepted to, but the guaranteed interview and location are pretty key.

For current/former MSBS students, do you think this can be attributed to primarily poor student performance or is it indicative of a not as strong linkage (65-80%) as advertised?
For a lot of people that I have talked to that didn't matriculate somewhere after MSBS (UTCOM or elsewhere), a big problem was that the program did not fit their application weakness. Maybe they had mediocre (or even good) undergrad grades, but their MCAT was trash, or they had zero clinical exposure... or let's face it, they were just plain weird and interviewed poorly. The MSBS program does not address these sort of shortcomings. It is really designed to help you if your GPA is trash and/or your research experience is minimal. Volunteering and clinical exposure are things you can do simultaneously while in MSBS through various options, but they aren't built into the program. If you think you are going to sneak in the back door at UTCOM with your 498 MCAT by crushing the MSBS program, it's probably not going to happen. People that have success right out of MSBS are those that are able to use the MSBS program to address their weaknesses. If Toledo isn't really going to do that, please don't go! Instead figure out a better option for addressing weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah this is something that was concerning to me as well prior to moving thousands of miles to do this SMP. Was also something I was super stressed about while in the MSBS program until acceptances started coming in. For others that didn't get their UTCOM acceptance until June (or others that didn't get in anywhere), that is like 10 months of crazy stress worrying about that very thing. SMPs in general are an expensive crapshoot. Historically from what I have been told by ADCOMs, UTCOM has accepted from the MSBS class as few as 2 students, and as many as everyone-except-2, but the overall average sits somewhere between 65-80% (they won't tell me the exact number for whatever reason) when they run the numbers for every year since the MSBS program started. ADCOMs has been pretty clear though: if they like you, they will take you. If they don't like you, they wont, and if your MCAT is too low, they also very likely won't take you.

My year, 60% of us moved on to UTCOM. However another 20% of us are somewhere else wearing a white coat (or pajamas more likely right now). One of the advantages of this program is that it is in a state with multiple medical schools, and borders states with multiple medical schools (Mich and Penn). Many students who do not got to UTCOM after MSBS either go to some other school in the state, or one of the bordering states either by choice (as much as it pains me, UTCOM is not the most prestigious school, though it is a very good school), or because they didn't get accepted at UTCOM. In my case I was also accepted to schools back in my home state (but screw them for not letting me in my first 4 times applying), as well as here in Ohio.

Had I been admitted to an SMP that offered guaranteed admission if I maintain a certain GPA or whatever, yeah i would have done that instead of Toledo. However, the next best thing to me was a program that offered basically a guaranteed interview, and reasonable matriculation rates (i would take a 60% chance of matriculation while simultaneously addressing my application shortcomings any day since I can also have a higher chance of getting in elsewhere) with the added benefit of being in Ohio next to Michigan and Penn. Somewhere else in this long thread I have listed all my other intangibles for why I chose Toledo over the other programs I was accepted to, but the guaranteed interview and location are pretty key.

For a lot of people that I have talked to that didn't matriculate somewhere after MSBS (UTCOM or elsewhere), a big problem was that the program did not fit their application weakness. Maybe they had mediocre (or even good) undergrad grades, but their MCAT was trash, or they had zero clinical exposure... or let's face it, they were just plain weird and interviewed poorly. The MSBS program does not address these sort of shortcomings. It is really designed to help you if your GPA is trash and/or your research experience is minimal. Volunteering and clinical exposure are things you can do simultaneously while in MSBS through various options, but they aren't built into the program. If you think you are going to sneak in the back door at UTCOM with your 498 MCAT by crushing the MSBS program, it's probably not going to happen. People that have success right out of MSBS are those that are able to use the MSBS program to address their weaknesses. If Toledo isn't really going to do that, please don't go! Instead figure out a better option for addressing weaknesses.

Hey just wanted to say, I appreciate the long write up; I feel like this concern might have been brought up before my other posters and you may have addressed it then. Nonetheless, you totally assuaged my fears lol I fee much better about MSBS now :)

Just wanted to add this here for future applicants searching the thread: my application was marked complete during quarantine (4/18) and I was accepted 4/21 with a 3.2 cGPA, sub-3.0 sGPA and 514 MCAT :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you send me money, I will sit in your seat and keep it warm for you and prevent anyone from taking it.

Miracle_Max is obviously lying, as they are an M1 and can obviously not save MSBS seats.

I, however, being a current MSBS student am in a significantly more able position to access MSBS seats having sat in several this past year, and will be more than happy to accept any and all patronage if you wish your seat to be an ideal temperature prior to your arrival in scenic Toledo. I'll even throw in a crisp high five.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have recommendations on where to live?
Not sure I'm allowed to share this, but should have tons of helpful information: including blurbs about area apartment and housing options.
TLDR: If youre an alcoholic party-monster, live at Edge. If you enjoy sobriety once in awhile: Fox Chase, Chealse place, Quail Hollow, Heather Village are a few other popular options.

Not sure I'm allowed to share this, but should have tons of helpful information: including blurbs about area apartment and housing options.
TLDR: If youre an alcoholic party-monster, live at Edge. If you enjoy sobriety once in awhile: Fox Chase, Chealse place, Quail Hollow, Heather Village are a few other popular options.

I agree with my senior up above, about a quarter of us live at Edge and its been pretty much party central whenever we have the time for it. However, my philosophy degree is kicking in, and I feel the moral imperative to add that pretty much all of us are not renewing our leases next year even if we get in. There have been a host of problems from poor resident service, faulty appliances, and other general nonsense that doesn't make it worth the price in my humble opinion. I don't mean to unnecessarily badmouth any one company, but truth be told, if I had known all the issues I would end up having before I moved to Edge, I probably wouldn't have, and a lot of my classmates agree. I have heard excellent things about Chelsea Place and Fox Chase, and I myself will be moving to sunny Perrysburg in a few months for a change of scenery.

Hi all, I was also just accepted into the program and am planning on enrolling! I'm so excited!!! If anyone needs a roommate, I'm looking! Does anyone know if there is a facebook group up and running?

Also, I have a friend who's going to a post-bacc program at Johns Hopkins who was just told that their entire first semester will be online. Does anyone know the likelihood that this will happen with the MSBS program? I think I'm going to email Dr. Easterly as well, but wanted to see what everyone was thinking.

Hi all, I was also just accepted into the program and am planning on enrolling! I'm so excited!!! If anyone needs a roommate, I'm looking! Does anyone know if there is a facebook group up and running?

Also, I have a friend who's going to a post-bacc program at Johns Hopkins who was just told that their entire first semester will be online. Does anyone know the likelihood that this will happen with the MSBS program? I think I'm going to email Dr. Easterly as well, but wanted to see what everyone was thinking.

Congrats!! Also I would totally hit you up for roomating but my parent won’t let me commit without hearing back from a program in my state :( Please let us know what Anita says!

Last edited:

Also just wanted to say, I talked to someone who did the MSBS last year and they said that they don’t think it’ll go online, but that if we’re OOS for Ohio, that we should consider at least leasing an apt even if it does go online, just so we can get the IS tuition. Just something to keep in mind!

Also just wanted to say, I talked to someone who did the MSBS last year and they said that they don’t think it’ll go online, but that if we’re OOS for Ohio, that we should consider at least leasing an apt even if it does go online, just so we can get the IS tuition. Just something to keep in mind!

Thank you for letting me know! I am from southern California, so it would be quite a move for me so if I was able to know sooner than when I would have to move that would be ideal. I will let you know what Anita says as well!

Also, if any current MSBSers are around- could you tell us a little bit about how the program has been going since it has gone online (or at least I assume it has) given the current crisis? Also, another random question- would you recommend getting an iPad pro for the program?

Also, if any current MSBSers are around- could you tell us a little bit about how the program has been going since it has gone online (or at least I assume it has) given the current crisis?
~You have summoned me and here I am~

Online classes have been quite the mixed bag. Some things are easier and some things are harder (super specific I know) and to be honest I think a lot of that boils down to people's learning style. I'm a very up front interaction-oriented learner, so it was a pretty big struggle for me being relegated to my apartment for classes day in and day out, but I managed. Things in life are rarely ideal forever, if at all, so in all honesty it was a good exercise in overcoming adversity (and a juicy story for potential future interview questions).

Other than the obvious differences, logistically there's little difference. Some professors give lectures live over things like Webex or Blackboard and screen share to follow along, and some professors just supplied last year's lecture recordings and updated us if anything has changed recently. Exams were given certain restrictions (randomized question order, limited time per question, can't go back to a question you already answered) to make it more difficult/to discourage cheating as all exams were a do-at-home thing. Like I said it really didn't fit my style, but some of my friends definitely flourished during this time, so could go either way.

Going into the summer, our only real commitment is research. I'm lucky enough to be in a lab where I can do all my research work from home on my laptop (I research A.I. and how to utilize diagnostic algorithms in a clinical setting) so quarantine doesn't affect me much there, but for some people who require laboratory facilities, it's a different story. A lot of this is pretty touch and go, but it hasn't been undoable. I can't annoy my friends in class anymore with my terrible jokes, but other than that it's really not worldbreakingly different.

Also, another random question- would you recommend getting an iPad pro for the program?

And funnily enough, I might be the best person to talk to about this particular thing in this year's cohort. Beginning the year I was RELIGIOUSLY pen and paper. It was a bit of a punchline for a lot of my friends, and I quickly accumulated a literal mountain of paper due to the sheer volume of material we went through. I even have my own mini hand drawn anatomy atlas from drawing out a bunch of structures during anatomy, and didn't even use electronic flashcards I was that stubborn about technology. However, the printers aren't always the most reliable things in the world, and after a few too many frustrating run ins with malfunctioning printers preventing me from having slides to take notes on during lecture about a quarter of the way into the second semester when pathophysiology hit, I relented and got an iPad with one of those apple pencil things so I could download the slides and draw my notes directly on them with OneNote.

Let me tell you, it was game changing, and I am 100% a convert.

So, TL;DR: coming from someone who was borderline fanatic about pen and paper notes, having some kind of electronic surface for me to take notes helped immensely. If you prefer to type out notes and have a laptop there's really no huge need. From my experience, if you prefer to write your notes by hand and have the financial means to do so, go with the iPad. It's possible to stick with pen and paper notes if you REALLY stay on top of your organization and the printers don't crap out on you too often, but I'm an iPad convert 100%. Doesn't need to be fancy, mine certainly isn't. But being able to access and organize your notes electronically and easily helps big time (especially if professors make last minute changes to the slides).

Also, another random question- would you recommend getting an iPad pro for the program?
Going off of what @Sophil15 said above, I was purely old-school laptop-only during msbs. I would download the slides, then free-text type on them. It was slow and kinda loud, but it worked. To start my M1 year I added a tablet to my computer arsenal and I have to say I have no idea how I managed to effectively study and take notes in MSBS without my tablet. It has completely changed how I interact with lectures and how I study (for the better). I use it as a wireless second monitor to study (connected to my main lappy), hand-write notes on top of lecture slides, and even share my tablet screen over the internet with current MSBS students during tutoring so I can hand-draw out difficult concepts just like if we were at a white-board. Probably around half my MSBS class last year had a tablet, but the large majority of my med school class use a tablet, and most of those who don't have a laptop with a functional touch-screen.
Do you need a tablet? No. But you want one. I definitely recommend.

Special note: iPads sadly do not run the school's testing software, so you will either need another laptop that can run it (macbook or windows running lappy), or borrow a laptop from the school for exam days.

So, TL;DR: coming from someone who was borderline fanatic about pen and paper notes, having some kind of electronic surface for me to take notes helped immensely. If you prefer to type out notes and have a laptop there's really no huge need. From my experience, if you prefer to write your notes by hand and have the financial means to do so, go with the iPad. It's possible to stick with pen and paper notes if you REALLY stay on top of your organization and the printers don't crap out on you too often, but I'm an iPad convert 100%. Doesn't need to be fancy, mine certainly isn't. But being able to access and organize your notes electronically and easily helps big time (especially if professors make last minute changes to the slides).

Thank you for tackling this question! I too have been a firm believer in paper notes in the past and am a visual learner, but have found that it's not practical and that I learn better using digital platforms, but I still yearn for being able to write and to have more freedom than I do with a laptop.

Do you need a tablet? No. But you want one. I definitely recommend.

Special note: iPads sadly do not run the school's testing software, so you will either need another laptop that can run it (macbook or windows running lappy), or borrow a laptop from the school for exam days.

Okay, I'm really sold then! I figured most med students use tablets anyways, and I do have a great laptop but I feel like a laptop is preferable for certain tasks (writing papers, emails, etc) while a tablet is better for digital learning and has more versatility. I also just want one.

Do you feel that there's much of a difference between taking an exam on a tablet vs a laptop?

Do you feel that there's much of a difference between taking an exam on a tablet vs a laptop?
Not really much difference. I use a wireless mouse when I take tests and so basically there is no difference for me between taking tests on my lappy versus tablet. My tablet also has a cover that doubles as a keyboard with a trackpad, so if I forgot my mouse it would just be like using a laptop (I use a surface pro6 tablet). Mostly I take tests with my main laptop though for the bigger screen.

OMG!!! So this confirms it, I'm totally in. Also, coming from an undergrad where I was the only person from CA amongst a sea of native northeasterners, having some fellow Californians will be a welcomed change!
As a fellow west coaster, you will definitely find plenty of us to bond with. #westcoastisbestcoast

OMG!!! So this confirms it, I'm totally in. Also, coming from an undergrad where I was the only person from CA amongst a sea of native northeasterners, having some fellow Californians will be a welcomed change!

Can confirm, we also have a few Californians in my year, and I myself am from Idaho (but did my undergrad in Indiana) so I can kind of sympathize with your situation (although there are a few differences between Idaho and Cali). If you haven't heard yet, invest in warm clothes now or be at the mercy of Ohio winters. We also have a few texans and they were not prepared for the big chill.

Hi guys! I just got into the program and I'm super excited to attend! I'm also a fellow californian lol super excited to see all of you there!

Hi guys! I just got into the program and I'm super excited to attend! I'm also a fellow californian lol super excited to see all of you there!

Congrats!! I vaguely you posting about choosing between here and EVMS and I was (am) in the same boat! Excited for us all :)

Congrats!! I vaguely you posting about choosing between here and EVMS and I was (am) in the same boat! Excited for us all :)

Thank you!!! LOL yeah that was me. I haven't heard back from EVMS yet, but regardless I think I am still leaning towards Toledo!

Last edited:

Congrats, so excited to meet you and survive the low temps with you! I'm from San Diego, what about you?

Also these may be random/dumb, but I have some questions for previous MSBS students:
1) For the research seminar, can someone explain the paper we would have to write on our research
2) On the website, its says that there is a class called Scholarly Project, what is that?
3) Is it hard to juggle the coursework and research at the same time
4) And just to confirm this program is from august to june right

Last edited:
No worries; these are not dumb questions!
1) For the research seminar, can someone explain the paper we would have to write on our research
This can go 2 ways. Ideally, you write up your project in manuscript form just as if you were gonna submit it to a journal. If however your project went to crap and you have no data, you kinda do the same thing, but in the discussion/conclusion section you cry about things that you should have done better or about how you wish you had more time etc. Overall, not a terribly big deal.

2) On the website, its says that there is a class called Scholarly Project, what is that?
To be honest, I don't even really know. I never really paid all that much attention to what credits and classes were what. I just showed up for class whenever they told me to and did whatever they told me to do. It's either the research component of the ciriculum, or credits dedicated to writing up the final paper? idk. Basically you just sign up for whatever classes they tell you to, then buckle up and do whatever they tell you to do and it ends up being fine. Maybe @Sophil15 knows.

This probably depends on the person. Some people have an easier time with this than others. In general with coursework, research, and all the other extracurriculars MSBS students got going on, it is a good approximation of how crazy med school life can be. Personally I didn't have a problem with it, but my lab was chill. Some of my classmates were overwhelmed at times though. Some people in my class ran side businesses, or had families with kids, or were traveling all over the country interviewing, and they turned out ok.

I think "technically" the summer semester runs through a few weeks in July? But I didn't have any class (or research) in July. I think the last day I had class was in the second week of June? Some students got into med schools that started super early (like June!) and the program worked with them to get them out of there early with their degree.

Hope that helps!

I'll throw my two cents in for some of these

@Miracle_Max pretty much covered it so not much to add here

It's basically your research project! It's a 1 credit course for Fall/Spring semester and I believe 6 credits in the summer. There's a bunch of info about PI selection and how that works earlier in this thread I believe, but if you've done undergrad research you pretty much know what's going on.

Depends! The program in general is going to be challenging, but the degree of challenge depends a lot on your time management skills/work ethic/how well you set yourself up for success. The MSBS program is meant to cover any iffy bases you might have from undergrad, so keep in mind how important research is as a component to your application. Obviously you want to do well regardless in your lab, but, let's say hypothetically, your app is significantly lacking in research. Then you might want to pick a lab and set yourself up to put a little extra oomph into your research to get an extra-nice LOR from your PI. That means making sure you don't slack off ~too~ much on your classwork so that those extra hours you're clocking in at lab don't tank your GPA.

My main problem going into MSBS was my GPA, so I picked a lab that I knew I could do well in without breaking my back so I could pour in some extra hours to get my GPA where it needed to be. So all in all, balancing research and classwork isn't difficult as long as you set yourself up in a structure that can be balanced. Some people in my class who would've preferred to spend more time on their academics ended up picking really demanding labs, and both ended up suffering because of it. So set yourself up for success within your means and it wont be any more challenging than it needs to be.

*Technically* it's from august to august. The last day of the program is August 7 for my year. Few, if any, of us are actually going to go that long, but August 7 is the last day that our PIs have the authority to actually tell us to do work for them. Your science classes (Anatomy, Pathophys, Immuno, etc.) go from August to April, and after that the summer session is research and a seminar about being a scientist. Having not finished the summer session yet I can't really say how long my class will go, but I suspect that the majority will end around when @Miracle_Max 's class did (fingers crossed).

@Miracle_Max @Sophil15 thank you guys so much this all really helpful information! so basically you guys leased your apartments for the entire year? and the research project is the research we are doing with the PIs right or is it a research project that we come up with on our own?

@Sophil15 are those of you that get into the MD this year going to update the guide for us Or is it not worth updating because the information should be the same

@Miracle_Max @Sophil15 thank you guys so much this all really helpful information! so basically you guys leased your apartments for the entire year? and the research project is the research we are doing with the PIs right or is it a research project that we come up with on our own?
I did a 1 year lease that started Aug 1st for MSBS. In hindsight I probably should have looked at the other Ohio State Med School start dates. One of the med schools I got into during MSBS was Wright State and they start super early July and I would have been ineligible for in-state tuition for the first semester if I went there, costing me like 20k extra on my student loans. Had I known that I may have started a lease July 1st instead, but it ended up working out for me since I got the A at UTCOM.

Yes to both points! Regarding the apartment lease, look up on the registrars for the schools you're interested in to know when the start date for the terms are. It'll save you some headaches down the road if you manage to get your lease signed for a year before all the start dates. Regarding the research project, it's the one you do with your PI.

@Sophil15 are those of you that get into the MD this year going to update the guide for us Or is it not worth updating because the information should be the same

I'm one of those annoying go-getter type-A personalities, so if I do manage to get in to UTMC I'll definitely be tweaking it at least a little bit to bring anything up to date (mostly minor stuff like our own admission statistics, updated contact infos, any new developments, maybe some spicy memes) if given the chance. However, I think what's on the guide right now should be more than enough to give you a pretty accurate idea of what's coming up (although nothing in the world can prepare you for cholesterol synthesis... I certainly wasn't and it haunts me to this very day..)

Personal trauma aside, once admission results start rolling in (in about a month hopefully) my class will start being a little more active in helping you guys out with establishing FB groups and all sorts of jolly cooperative nonsense.

nothing in the world can prepare you for cholesterol synthesis... I certainly wasn't and it haunts me to this very day
I literally missed a qbank question today about Farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase. F cholesterol synthesis. It never goes away.

• Sad
Just so you all are aware, the UT Provost Office just sent out a long email that said "bla bla bla: we are planning and have every expectation of resuming in-person education at The University of Toledo this fall. bla bla bla" Clearly this is subject to change if conditions warrant, but at least the official stance of the school is that class will be in-person this fall semester.

Reactions: 4 users
Just so you all are aware, the UT Provost Office just sent out a long email that said "bla bla bla: we are planning and have every expectation of resuming in-person education at The University of Toledo this fall. bla bla bla" Clearly this is subject to change if conditions warrant, but at least the official stance of the school is that class will be in-person this fall semester.

I'll take this moment to highlight one of the reasons this is extra good for you future MSBS folks (and perhaps give a good reason for people on the fence to consider it), and that's that you guys get to have your anatomy lab! It's probably the one class you absolutely cannot do online and get close to the quality of doing it in person, and that's because of the honestly pretty baller anatomy lab MSBS gets to do. My year had about 8 people per cadaver team, and each team was split into 2 pods of 4 each who worked on different things at different times, so it was basically 4 people per cadaver (2 for each side) which gave everybody plenty of dissection exposure. By the end of the class we had pretty much done a full body dissection, including a cranial bisection, definitely my favorite class of the course.

Something to look forward to during these trying times!

Reactions: 3 users

I also e-mailed Anita last week and she said that there are currently to no plans for the program to be online for the first semester!

Hey guys, I was accepted to the program and plan on attending. I’m excited to meet you all :) And now that we’re accepted... uhh what do we do? Lol. I made my Rocket account and am looking at housing but wondering what else we should be doing rn.

Also looking forward to seeing some Californians! I lived in SoCal for a while.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was accepted to the program and plan on attending. I’m excited to meet you all :) And now that we’re accepted... uhh what do we do? Lol. I made my Rocket account and am looking at housing but wondering what else we should be doing rn.

Also looking forward to seeing some Californians! I lived in SoCal for a while.

Congratulations! Honestly there isn't too much to do in the mean time. If your rocket account is in order and you're on track for housing that's pretty much all the necessary stuff out of the way. Make sure you have your financial aid stuff in order if you're going that route.

Other than that it's a waiting game! The closer to August you get Anita will send out info on vaccination requirements, class registration, that sort of exciting stuff. And once the next M1 class gets sorted out, we'll be making a facebook page and opening some more official lines of communication for you folks (and of course, feel free to reach out to your local over-eager current MSBSers for any other questions you might have).