too bad for USF students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The end of pharmacy school expansions has to begin somewhere. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel bad for those students, but sorta glad as well. Wish it had happened before they enrolled a class though for sure.

4.3 MILLION dollars in payroll?! WHAT?

I can only imagine what those 50 students are going through right now...must be hell for them :(

I can only imagine what those 50 students are going through right now...must be hell for them :(

3 years later, 2/3 of them probably will not be able to get jobs... If they read this forum, they would be glad they were out of the pharmacy doom and gloom sooner than later >:D

3 years later, 2/3 of them probably will not be able to get jobs... If they read this forum, they would be glad they were out of the pharmacy doom and gloom sooner than later >:D

I was just gonna say, might be a blessing in disguise :smuggrin:

I think that article is out of date?
Dated Feb 29. Yours was posted a week later.

4.3 MILLION dollars in payroll?! WHAT?
Figure you'll have at least 10-20 faculty, say 20 faculty x $150k, that's $3M. They probably pay their preceptors and count that, no idea how much they get, but still say that's almost another mil across multiple sites. Then the dean(s) no doubt earn a hefty chunk, easily accounting for that $0.3M and beyond.

Dated Feb 29. Yours was posted a week later.

Figure you'll have at least 10-20 faculty, say 20 faculty x $150k, that's $3M. They probably pay their preceptors and count that, no idea how much they get, but still say that's almost another mil across multiple sites. Then the dean(s) no doubt earn a hefty chunk, easily accounting for that $0.3M and beyond.
Those are ridiculous numbers for one class :laugh:

Plus how could their preceptor bill be very high considering they're all first years lol.

The end of pharmacy school expansions has to begin somewhere. :smuggrin:

I'm glad that it is starting to happen but sucks for the students that are in that program right now. They can get their loans forgiven but can't make up for the year of hell lost.

There's a bit more in payroll.

Employer has to match employee social security & medicare taxes and state and federal unemployment taxes. Also, benefit can cost anywhere from 15-30% + of the salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
150k salary for each faculty member is too high

Faculty salaries alone cost $4.2 million right now, with just one class, Sneed said.

Nice! Hey Z and WVU lets open up a pharmacy school.....

OK but I have to be the dean...and y'all must kiss my ass.

150k salary for each faculty member is too high
Salary, but not entire payroll. Health insurance, social security, 401k matching etc. also are going into that 150k. I know the article did say "salary" but it probably was including the entire payout.

Some schools do have rotations their first year, or at least the summer after P1 year. Granted that it's mid april, it's not hard to imagine their rotations starting in about a month. Obviously would want to have preceptors lined up and ready to go before the rotations actually start. Class of 50 probably needs ~25 preceptors, maybe less if some are faculty too.

http://health.usf.edu/pharmacy/Faculty_and_Staff.htm#apply
Oh, and they have a chitload of faculty already. 1:1 student:teacher ratio?:laugh: There's 40+ names on that list, 4.2m/40 = 105k. If some of the names on that list are office workers or administrative roles, they round out the fact that the deans are included on the list. Real question is why the heck do they have so many faculty already?

Salary, but not entire payroll. Health insurance, social security, 401k matching etc. also are going into that 150k. I know the article did say "salary" but it probably was including the entire payout.

Some schools do have rotations their first year, or at least the summer after P1 year. Granted that it's mid april, it's not hard to imagine their rotations starting in about a month. Obviously would want to have preceptors lined up and ready to go before the rotations actually start. Class of 50 probably needs ~25 preceptors, maybe less if some are faculty too.

http://health.usf.edu/pharmacy/Faculty_and_Staff.htm#apply
Oh, and they have a chitload of faculty already. 1:1 student:teacher ratio?:laugh:

You have to pretty much assemble your entire faculty in order to progress through accreditation status. When my current institution was founded, it was a 15 to 20 million dollar initial investment, considering all upfront costs.

You have to pretty much assemble your entire faculty in order to progress through accreditation status. When my current institution was founded, it was a 15 to 20 million dollar initial investment, considering all upfront costs.
We have a picture in our hallway of the "founding faculty" and it's only like 10 members. We add a few more every year as more and more are needed.

We have a picture in our hallway of the "founding faculty" and it's only like 10 members. We add a few more every year as more and more are needed.

No idea on minimums. I know you just can't start out with two people and an overhead projector in a rented space above a tattoo parlor, a la HICP.

No idea on minimums. I know you just can't start out with two people and an overhead projector in a rented space above a tattoo parlor, a la HICP.

Im sure if that was even possible the place would still generate 5,000 applicants :laugh:

Good riddance. Florida is a huge state but seriously, how many pharm schools does FL have already? The good ol boys at UF, FAMU, Nova, palm beach atlantic, and LECOM right? did i miss any more diploma mills? and how many grads/locations does UF have nowadays?

Good riddance. Florida is a huge state but seriously, how many pharm schools does FL have already? The good ol boys at UF, FAMU, Nova, palm beach atlantic, and LECOM right? did i miss any more diploma mills? and how many grads/locations does UF have nowadays?
Plus low demand for pharmacists in Florida. At first, I thought it was not a bad idea for USF to have a pharmacy school since they have access to tons of health and research facilities...it's a legit university.

This is OLD news... As a current USF COP student, this is behind us. Here is an article where our budget is restored.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/usfs-pharmacy-school-6m-budget-spared

Our 2016 Class is already full and awaiting their start in the August.

This was a huge play by the media and thanks to the hard work from everyone at USF and legislature all funding is restored and classes will continue as normal.

We also just had our ACPE meeting and everything is flowing smoothly.

Edit - If anyone has questions, I can address them via message or this forum. I am in no way fearful of my position here at this school and am very satisfied with my education.

Last edited:
When I am retiring and withdrawing my retirement account, I am heading to Florida for sure! Screw CA with their 9.3% tax rate... I think that's the only good thing about Florida that I can think of >_>;

This is OLD news... As a current USF COP student, this is behind us. Here is an article where our budget is restored.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/usfs-pharmacy-school-6m-budget-spared

This was a huge play by the media and thanks to the hard work from everyone at USF and legislature all funding is restored and classes will continue as normal.

Edit - If anyone has questions, I can address them via message or this forum. I am in no way fearful of my position here at this school and am very satisfied with my education.

Glad to hear it's all good now, what a potential nightmare it could have turned into otherwise.

When I am retiring and withdrawing my retirement account, I am heading to Florida for sure! Screw CA with their 9.3% tax rate... I think that's the only good thing about Florida that I can think of >_>;

Just move to Nevada next door, a lot closer, haha

You are an absolute buzzkill. We were all so happy that the USF program would go under. Not enough fiscal conservatives in the Florida legislature I guess. Hopefully next year they will eliminate the unnecessary program! :smuggrin:

There's a lot of pharmacy schools in Florida already... they can try applying to FAMU or UF or PBA or NSU

I think Marshall University is the last school to apply for accreditation. Hopefully, we don't get another school opening this year or the next.