Too early to start studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent257

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I am planning to take the exam May/July of 2017. I am also on winter break and have begun going through the first EK sections for chemistry. I was told 4-5 months was about right to study, review, practice for the MCAT. But that's obvious subject to your own study methods, background, etc.

Best luck!

Ideally you should start studying 3-4 months before you plan on taking the exam. Personally I think it would be a horrible idea to rush the MCAT while applying because you'll have to wait a month for your scores, and if you don't get a great score and have to retake, that's gonna set back your whole schedule. Keep in mind, you'll have to keep up with school while studying for the mcat after winter break, and that can be pretty stressful.

Your EC's look a bit weak imo-- it doesn't look like you have too much clinical experience (unless you've been doing clinical research, in which case I'd recommend adding some other community service volunteer activities you're passionate about).

Typical application timeline: https://career.berkeley.edu/Medical/AppTime