Too early to start studying for Step 1??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDSurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start studying for Step 1 during your summer between M1 and M2? Or would I just be wasting my time? Should I focus instead on brushing up on what I learned during M1??

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your curriculum, from what I hear. People on traditional curriculums have most of the high yield stuff during second year, so it doesn't do much good to study over the summer.

For those on a systems based curriculum, it probably wouldn't hurt to get those systems down flat while you still have time too.

Also depends on when your school lets you out for boards study. If it's April, the summer after M1 will probably be too far away to do much good. If it's December, then you'll probably get something out of it.

But, like studying for med school the summer before you enter, the advice you'll probably get most often is: enjoy your time off.

Depends on your curriculum, from what I hear. People on traditional curriculums have most of the high yield stuff during second year, so it doesn't do much good to study over the summer.

For those on a systems based curriculum, it probably wouldn't hurt to get those systems down flat while you still have time too.

Also depends on when your school lets you out for boards study. If it's April, the summer after M1 will probably be too far away to do much good. If it's December, then you'll probably get something out of it.

But, like studying for med school the summer before you enter, the advice you'll probably get most often is: enjoy your time off.

Thanks for replying. We have a traditional curriculum here. The reason I ask is cause I know a couple of guys in my class who are planning on starting to study this summer....these are the guys who are planning on getting 260+ on Step 1, so it made me kinda insecure.....:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying. We have a traditional curriculum here. The reason I ask is cause I know a couple of guys in my class who are planning on starting to study this summer....these are the guys who are planning on getting 260+ on Step 1, so it made me kinda insecure.....:idea:

:laugh:

If I've learned anything in my two years in school, it's that you don't plan on much of anything; you do what you can and take what you get.

It's too early to "study" for step 1 as in 12hr marathons every day with a question bank. BUT, it's never too early to familiarize yourself with high yield review materials. I really wish the first time I looked at First Aid and Q bank wasn't a month before the test. Buy the book, get an idea of the format, and plan to use it throughout your second year. If you wanted to do a year-long subscription to USMLE world that wouldn't be a terrible idea either IMO.

The Q bank and First Aid are both divided in sections so it should be pretty easy to follow along all year.

Enjoy this summer though, it's your last.

Reactions: 1 user
:laugh:

If I've learned anything in my two years in school, it's that you don't plan on much of anything; you do what you can and take what you get.

Amen brotha. Ahhh, the plans I made. Needless to say, they differed from the sequence of events that followed. Substantially.

To the OP, with a screenname like FutureMDSurgeon, I'd say it's never to early to start. Just know that if you don't snap out of what I presume to be your hyper-type-A-prestige-whoring-narcissism-ness, your life is going to suck even more than it normally would. Do your future wife and children a favor and smoke a joint, throw some jazz on your iphone, go for a walk, and think about something other than medicine, while you still can.

Reactions: 1 users
It's too early to "study" for step 1 as in 12hr marathons every day with a question bank. BUT, it's never too early to familiarize yourself with high yield review materials. I really wish the first time I looked at First Aid and Q bank wasn't a month before the test. Buy the book, get an idea of the format, and plan to use it throughout your second year. If you wanted to do a year-long subscription to USMLE world that wouldn't be a terrible idea either IMO.

The Q bank and First Aid are both divided in sections so it should be pretty easy to follow along all year.

Enjoy this summer though, it's your last.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll just buy First Aid and familiarize myself with the general format.

Amen brotha. Ahhh, the plans I made. Needless to say, they differed from the sequence of events that followed. Substantially.

To the OP, with a screenname like FutureMDSurgeon, I'd say it's never to early to start. Just know that if you don't snap out of what I presume to be your hyper-type-A-prestige-whoring-narcissism-ness, your life is going to suck even more than it normally would. Do your future wife and children a favor and smoke a joint, throw some jazz on your iphone, go for a walk, and think about something other than medicine, while you still can.

Damn you bitter!

these are the guys who are planning on getting 260+ on Step 1, so it made me kinda insecure.....:idea:

Damn you bitter!

Nah, he's got a point. Many of your posts have been pretty toolish.

But at least you do have a good idea about First Aid. I used it in M1 to go along with what we did in class, but studying over the summer... hey, do as you please. A quick search will bring up lots of threads about that.

Your progress are likely to be pretty slow if you're going to study ahead in the summer and odds are you'll forget most of the minutia you memorized.

It's probably more high yield to just review the stuff you did in M1, but in a traditional curriculum they'll be less than 10% of the Step 1.

I would do research, travel, maybe do some volunteer work (build a house or something), than try to memorize First Aid or read Robbins. It's your last summer ever, use it wisely.

Don't listen to people who tell you about first AID. First AID don't know anything about the test (Actual Goljan quote)

You want to go straight into Cecil's or Harrison's if you are shooting for 260.

is it too early to start studying for step 1 during your summer between m1 and m2? Or would i just be wasting my time? Should i focus instead on brushing up on what i learned during m1??

FOCUS on having fun and relaxing dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Read Big Robbins cover to cover 5 times! You'll be guaranteed a 273!

God I hate gunners, especially gunners who need to take advice on the Internet on how to spend their last summer. It has nothing to do with bitterness. Gunners are like real estate speculators who create a housing bubble and force everyone else to work 3x harder or overextend themselves for the same piece of crap 1 bedroom shack. Everyone is poorer for it. Two years after Step 1, everyone forgets most of the material, all that effort could have been spent somewhere else.

With all those time you have, I suggest you go directly to the source and start reading Harrison's or Robbin and coltran's principle of pathology. You can read around 20 pages a day and become an expert at the end of summer.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=bce1d2c2cef6738f

Don't listen to people who tell you about first AID. First AID don't know anything about the test (Actual Goljan quote)

You want to go straight into Cecil's or Harrison's if you are shooting for 260.

i c wat u did thar

I can't tell whose serious and whose not anymore lol

For a guy whose name is futureMDsurgeon, some time spent to read harrisons is well worth the price.

Think about it, would you rather be left in the cold, matched to primary care at Rainbow hospital, OH while your buddy ride to the empire state to start his ortho residency at HSS?

I am all serious about harrison and Cecil. Big robbins would do too if you don't want to think about step II, just step I at the moment.

For a guy whose name is futureMDsurgeon, some time spent to read harrisons is well worth the price.

Think about it, would you rather be left in the cold, matched to primary care at Rainbow hospital, OH while your buddy ride to the empire state to start his ortho residency at HSS?

I am all serious about harrison and Cecil. Big robbins would do too if you don't want to think about step II, just step I at the moment.

I've almost finished first year...and we used a few chapters of robbins in some classes here (immuno etc). I have to say, reading that thing requires a good background in histo, physiology, etc. Taking it on before you have the background would be a mistake...and the big version is kind of ridiculous. We used a "Basic Path" chapter here and it was still really detailed.

By all means- I respect people working hard and doing what they want. Just saying I personally wouldn't hit big robbins...seems low yield IMO.

I would also suggest OP solidify high yield material from MS1 first though...

And most of all, make time for some fun this summer. If you really want, I guess ya could study a few hours in the mornings...and then have time to hit the gym and do something with friends at night. Just don't spend all summer in the library....what if you burn out during MS2?

Good luck!!!

I don't see a problem with doing what feels right for you. I am planning to study a bit in the summer after MS1. Within boundaries of course. It's important to take some time to relax. Considerably very important to RELAX in view of what's coming up the following year. Just do what's right for you and try to make your time as productive as possible. You might forget what you memorized but it doesn't hurt to get organized and become familiar. I'm planning to review/purchase some step 1 books and maybe study some of the upcoming course materials that I have access to. Whatever can make the year less stressful/more enjoyable, it's worth it. Even for just the peace of mind that you did a little work ahead of time.

Hi,

I think you should use every opportunity possible to prepare! I started looking at First Aid during the summer between M1 and M2. Did I do a really comprehensive review? No...mainly because I had that attitude of "oh, I have plenty of time"

But now that I'm taking the exam in 1.5 months, I wish I had been a little more serious about it earlier on. I'm fine...I mean, I'm probably going to get a good score with the amount of studying I've done thus far, but if I had just taken it a little more serious back then, I think I would be a super star by now!

Anyway, sometimes, I also think it is good for your psyche to feel like you're doing at least *something* during that time...so you should do it if you're that kinda person...Good luck!!!!

Stop talking about studying for Step 1, it makes you sound like a gunner. You are studying to be a doctor, you need to know the material, so who cares when you learn it? If you go into August having read all the textbooks, you will probably do quite well second year, and on Step 1 as well. If you want to read, feel free!

That said, it would be a really lame summer, and is completely unnecessary to do well, since if you are this motivated you would probably do it during the year anyway.

Agreed. I really don't think it would help or hurt to do it. But I personally could care less if I look like a "gunner" :) I'm not taking issue with you, but I will take it as my opportunity to vent about the ridiculous use of this word. I feel like it is thrown around so much nowadays...

Regarding "gunner": There are so many people in my class who worry about being called "gunners" -- so in an effort to hide their gunnerishness they put on the kick-back who-gives-a-crap attitude, which is really just a front, in an effort to convince others they are NOT "gunners". This happened last year when the debate came up of whether to start studying for Step 1 between MS1 and MS2. In reality, these people are the same ones I see at the library at 6am and leaving at midnight, or running on the treadmill at 7.0 with their syllabus under their nose. I think we should retire the word gunner. Its a pretty unfortunate term and basically perpetuates a lie. Well, I'm not gonna lie. I'm not gonna pretend I came to med school and now I don't seize every opportunity to be the BEST I can be.

K, thanks for bearing through my ranting...but before I go, I will share this...There's a guy (who everyone calls a "gunner") in my class who started studying FA on practically day one of med school -- and he wasn't ashamed to admit it. He studied all throughout the summer and everyone whispered, "what a gunner!" He did three Qbanks over the course of MS2 and I'm sure many many more things to prepare for step 1.

Well, he just got his score back ====> 269. The end.

Agreed. I really don't think it would help or hurt to do it. But I personally could care less if I look like a "gunner" :) I'm not taking issue with you, but I will take it as my opportunity to vent about the ridiculous use of this word. I feel like it is thrown around so much nowadays...

Regarding "gunner": There are so many people in my class who worry about being called "gunners" -- so in an effort to hide their gunnerishness they put on the kick-back who-gives-a-crap attitude, which is really just a front, in an effort to convince others they are NOT "gunners". This happened last year when the debate came up of whether to start studying for Step 1 between MS1 and MS2. In reality, these people are the same ones I see at the library at 6am and leaving at midnight, or running on the treadmill at 7.0 with their syllabus under their nose. I think we should retire the word gunner. Its a pretty unfortunate term and basically perpetuates a lie. Well, I'm not gonna lie. I'm not gonna pretend I came to med school and now I don't seize every opportunity to be the BEST I can be.

K, thanks for bearing through my ranting...but before I go, I will share this...There's a guy (who everyone calls a "gunner") in my class who started studying FA on practically day one of med school -- and he wasn't ashamed to admit it. He studied all throughout the summer and everyone whispered, "what a gunner!" He did three Qbanks over the course of MS2 and I'm sure many many more things to prepare for step 1.

The thing with SDN is a lot of the people are gunners and top of their class...but they're also the kids who go around saying they never study, even though they're studying at 2am on a Saturday night lmao. Like it or not, some kids try to psych people out and make them think they never study. Tons of people I know do this and its both annoying and immature. Maybe their logic is "oh people will think I'm a genius" or "Oh if I say I never study, they won't either and I'll get a higher rank"...don't know, don't care- its weird and psycho regardless lol.

I love the kids who say "Yeah man I studied 0 and got 100% on that exam", then I catch them in the library frantically studying. Don't understand why they lie.

Hey at least the guy was open and honest about what he was doing. That doesn't sound very gunnerish to me. He sounds like a really really hard worker, and I can respect that.:thumbup:

Wow. Impressive

Nice anecdote; too bad the plural of anecdote is not "data."

I'm not saying that this didn't happen, but just because you know of a guy who did this doesn't mean his/her method is designed for everybody.

Oh no! I was not advertising this as the be-all and end-all method and I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was trying to say.

...I was just trying to make a point about the use of the word "gunner". I bet you and I would both agree that when it comes to this kind of thing, you gotta do what is right for yourself...and not worry about whether you look like a "gunner" or not. Cuz I think it perpetuates a myth. And it's basically silly. We all got into med school -- and not by being lazy-a**es who don't study. :)

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the OP. At least he didn't ask if it was too late to start studying. My point was about the larger issue of "studying" for Step 1. When you speak of studying for a test, especially so early in the game, it gives the impression that you are learning the material for the test, rather than to augment your future clinical knowledge. This is my personal meaning of gunner, one who strives to score high only for the sake of personal performance. People pick up on that small semantic difference. Not that the OP necessarily meant it that way.

In any case, one prepares for Step 1, by reviewing high yield information and doing bagillions of practice questions. It is merely a test of information you theoretically learned during the preclinical years. If you are only halfway done with basic science, you are less than halfway through the information you will need for the exam. If, at the end of second year you haven't actually learned the material, you "study".

Yes, and I have found myself in that exact predicament. Needing to study stuff I've never seen before! And I totally agree that in your preclinical years should be more focused on learning material that will help you become a good doctor -- not studying for the sole purpose of doing well on an exam.

haha, and I'm not gonna lie...I've called people "gunners" before. But then I started to realize what a "gunner" I WAS :)

Somehow the term Gunner has blended in to include anyone who is a hard worker, highly motivated or focused.

Balance is important always but the individual who studied hard from day 1 and worked an extra summer, that is to be celebrated not criticized.

Its funny because this forum will berate medical students who think 30 hour shifts in residency are excessive, yet a guy who studies a summer is considered a workaholic and has spent too much time on becoming better.

Isn't that odd.

Last edited:
Why not?

If you want to sharpen and solidify what you learned first year, then more to you. Don't get burnt out, but if you are looking to do really well on the Step 1 which is a very important test in your life, then you may be doing the right thing. The guy who achieved a 269 is a perfect example.

Everyone who is saying do not and that it won't help at all are slightly wrong. I don't get why studying what you did first year won't help. You are in medical school to learn and if you'd rather spend some free time studying here and there during summer instead of sitting on the couch/watching TV, then good for you.

Of course you should try and relax and perhaps take a vacation. You don't want to waste the whole summer fixated on Step 1 studying.

Its funny because this forum will berate medical students who think 30 hour shifts in residency are excessive, yet a guy who studies a summer is considered a workaholic and has spent too much time on becoming better.

Apples, meet oranges. And that's ignoring the fact that there are good-sized camps on either side of residency hour restrictions here.

Apples, meet oranges. And that's ignoring the fact that there are good-sized camps on either side of residency hour restrictions here.

Apples and Oranges? Kind of. But you would expect some consistency in philosophy.

George meets M1:

M1: I want to do really well on Step 1 and am considering preparing during my M1/M2 summer.

George: What are you crazy? Live a little. You need balance, don't be "all medicine all the time." Go out and do other things.

2 years later George talks to M3:

M3: Wow, I was looking at some of the demands of residency hours and thought 30 hour shifts were a bit excessive. I want to have balance, live a little and not be "all medicine all the time."

George: What are you crazy? You need to be working 30 hour shifts. It's a part of what it takes to be good. Just stop complaining and do it.

Apples meet oranges or crazy meets novice?

Apples and Oranges? Kind of. But you would expect some consistency in philosophy.

George meets M1:

M1: I want to do really well on Step 1 and am considering preparing during my M1/M2 summer.

George: What are you crazy? Live a little. You need balance, don't be "all medicine all the time." Go out and do other things.

2 years later George talks to M3:

M3: Wow, I was looking at some of the demands of residency hours and thought 30 hour shifts were a bit excessive. I want to have balance, live a little and not be "all medicine all the time."

George: What are you crazy? You need to be working 30 hour shifts. It's a part of what it takes to be good. Just stop complaining and do it.

Apples meet oranges or crazy meets novice?

People post when they get indignant. The ones telling you to live a little are probably still in favor of life balance later on, so they don't feel it necessary to respond. But man, all those "future surgeons" who were quietly working their asses off 24/7 get all upset when people start insinuating that there is more to life than being a doctor.

Re: surgeons. Yes, they are a serious bunch! And I should hope they'd want to work their butts off! Wouldn't want anyone operating on any of my family members who didn't :)

I don't see a problem with doing what feels right for you. I am planning to study a bit in the summer after MS1. Within boundaries of course. It's important to take some time to relax. Considerably very important to RELAX in view of what's coming up the following year. Just do what's right for you and try to make your time as productive as possible. You might forget what you memorized but it doesn't hurt to get organized and become familiar. I'm planning to review/purchase some step 1 books and maybe study some of the upcoming course materials that I have access to. Whatever can make the year less stressful/more enjoyable, it's worth it. Even for just the peace of mind that you did a little work ahead of time.

I completely agree. The mental aspect of studying earlier is just as important as the material itself.

Somehow the term Gunner has blended in to include anyone who is a hard worker, highly motivated or focused.

Balance is important always but the individual who studied hard from day 1 and worked an extra summer, that is to be celebrated not criticized.

Isn't that odd.

There ought be a rule that anyone talking about gunners or the proper use of the term should actually have attended a day of medical school first.

You ain't one of them.

Isn't that odd.

Very good and interesting point.

Methinks people subconsciously try to discourage behavior that would give their fellows a leg-up (supplemental Step1 study that they themselves do not intend to do) ...

Similar to opposition to steroids in sports (providing an "unnatural" advantage).

There ought be a rule that anyone talking about gunners or the proper use of the term should actually have attended a day of medical school first.

You ain't one of them.

Ad hominem.

Maybe with a handful of years under my belt, I can learn to be pretentious and condescending too.:xf:

Ad hominem.

Maybe with a handful of years under my belt, I can learn to be pretentious and condescending too.:xf:

haha :thumbup: nice!

Don't knock big Robbins guys- that textbook has been my saving grace in more than a few topics (along with the Robbins Review Questions, I swear some of our faculty take those questions and change one or two words before they submit them). It's also very readable for what it is. BUT there is NO way in hades I will be opening it during the summer months... Just felt the need to defend one of my favorite resources.

Now over the summer I just might listen to the audio of a certain famous lecturer covering a couple of topics that I feel I didn't learn as well as I should have. But that's mostly because he's a riot and I have a 30 minute commute to my school that I might as well take to review what I felt shakey on during M1. That'll probably happen all of five times this whole summer though.

Now over the summer I just might listen to the audio of a certain famous lecturer covering a couple of topics that I feel I didn't learn as well as I should have. But that's mostly because he's a riot and I have a 30 minute commute to my school that I might as well take to review what I felt shakey on during M1. That'll probably happen all of five times this whole summer though.

I just got a copy of those. I anticipate loading them onto my iPod and listening to them while I'm traveling this summer :)

Wait 'til 3rd year. I've been called a gunner for doing what an attending told me to do. Seriously.

People post when they get indignant. The ones telling you to live a little are probably still in favor of life balance later on, so they don't feel it necessary to respond. But man, all those "future surgeons" who were quietly working their asses off 24/7 get all upset when people start insinuating that there is more to life than being a doctor.

You know what the worst part about Q2 call is?

You miss half the good cases. :laugh:

Nice anecdote; too bad the plural of anecdote is not "data."

I'm not saying that this didn't happen, but just because you know of a guy who did this doesn't mean his/her method is designed for everybody.

It's pretty clear that there's a relationship between hours studied and performance on a test, though. It's not a perfect correlation, because different people have different capacities for learning.

As I understand it, the guy who studied 5 weeks and scored a 260 is the exception rather than the guy who studied for 2 years and got a 269.

I just got a copy of those. I anticipate loading them onto my iPod and listening to them while I'm traveling this summer :)

He's entertaining to listen to, but the material he's covering better be stuff you've already seen or I doubt you'll get any benefit from the pace he covers things at. If you're school is organ based, you should have covered enough stuff to make listening to his lectures worthwhile.

It's pretty clear that there's a relationship between hours studied and performance on a test, though. It's not a perfect correlation, because different people have different capacities for learning.

As I understand it, the guy who studied 5 weeks and scored a 260 is the exception rather than the guy who studied for 2 years and got a 269.

:thumbup: Maybe I'm just weird, but for me the more times I review a subject the more I remember from it. Based on that, I would assume that the same would be true for step-I, so if I were to review everything from first year* once or twice this summer, how would that not give me an advantage next year when preparing for it? Even if only remember 20% more stuff than I otherwise would have, that's 20% less to re-learn/review for next year.

*my school is on an organ based curriculum, so I will have already seen physio, path, histo, anataomy, etc. for neuro, musculoskeltal, cardio, pulmonary, renal, & GI systems already.