Too late for MD/PhD?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iowahawk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my application on 6/27 to schools as only MD. Since then my PI suggest I think about the MD/PhD program. My question is is it possible to change some of my designations to schools to MD/PhD/MSTP? Also, what other requirements are there for this dual program? I know another essay? I'm not definite I'm going to do anything but am just curious. Any help would be super! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think its too late. You are still very early on in the application stage. Maybe contact the schools you would be interested in applying MD/pHD.

I didnt apply MD/pHd or really look into it at all so I really dont know much, but I'm pretty certain its not too late

good luck

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of schools let you enter the MSTP programs after you've started medical school. This is from the UMich website:

"Students may apply to the MSTP at the time they apply to the Medical School or during the fall terms of their first two years of medical education." <http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/mstp/about/faq.html>

Members don't see this ad :)
First, there is an MD/PHD forum with lots of helpfull people and advice. If you are considering the dual degree I would definitely stop by there.

I think the best thing for you to do is contact the AAMC and ask them if there is a way to add the MD/PHD extra requirements to your AMCAS. They might not be able to since some shools may have all ready downloaded your info, but it can't hurt to ask.

The MD/PHD extra's on AMCAS are an essay on why you want to pursue the dual degree and an essay on your significant research experiences. Some schools repeat these questions on their secondaries (I love you Columbia, I hope you don't get bored reading about the same thing written two different ways). Other schools have really bare bones secondaries because they focus on your AMCAS statements (I believe SUNY Upstate and Cornell are like this). In those cases if it is not possible to add the essays to your AMCAS I would advise contacting the school to see what can be done.

On another note. The MD/PHD process and application cycle is brutal. More essays, more interviews per school etc. And sticking out the program takes a lot of dedication. If you decide to go this route I salute you my fellow applicant :) If you are unsure I would say enter school as MD check out their research and then if you want to pursue the dual degree apply for admission during MS1 or MS2. Most schools do have such an option. I did this for schools where I feel strongly about the MD program but am unsure if I would like to spend 7+ years there getting two degrees.

Best of luck!

iowahawk said:
So I submitted my application on 6/27 to schools as only MD. Since then my PI suggest I think about the MD/PhD program. My question is is it possible to change some of my designations to schools to MD/PhD/MSTP? Also, what other requirements are there for this dual program? I know another essay? I'm not definite I'm going to do anything but am just curious. Any help would be super! :D[/QUOT

You might want to contact AMCAS as to redisgination of the schools you did apply to or adding new schools. I know you can add new schools and then you would be able to add the MD/PhD. However, you have to write TWO more essays. The first being Why you want to do the MD-PhD program (3000 char roughly) and the other detailing your research accomplishments todate (10,000 characters).

I am not sure how AMCAS will allow the addition of more essays once the application is submitted. As one person pointed out above, one can always apply to the md-phd program within the 1st two years of regular med studies since they are completely common with both programs.

Good Luck

Logistical questions aside, this is not a decision to be made lightly. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into; you will need to be quite certain about your choice for the dual degree if you expect to convince your interviewers. It's a big decision, one that takes a lot of us years of consideration; don't feel that you have to switch your apps b/c of pressure from an advisor or PI. Even if you can get accepted to an MSTP, is that what YOU really want? All of that being said, best of luck with your decision, and with your applications.