Too late for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EstesDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks! I'm 28, have a 2 year old daughter and have been working in the computer field for 4 years now as an Engineer. The only reason I have gotten myself into computers is because when I was in College I got real sick and had to leave in the middle of the year I was taking Chemistry. I failed it. I thought there was no hope for me to get into MED SCHOOL and everyone told me I should get a backup plan and quick!

I aced Biology with a 100 (yes I actually got a 100 for a grade in the class!) plus I graduated Cum Laude (3.4 gpa overall - 3.9 final semester gpa). Not only that but I am hearing impaired as well. Not many deaf doctors out there, eh? If anyone's interested read the book - "When the phone rings, my bed shakes" -- it's about a deaf doctor. (The only one I know!)

I really want to become an Osteopathic Physician. I am currently filling out applications for the Tufts 1 year Post Bac Program with hopes of getting into UNECOM. Other than that bad grade and bad year in college I have done really well although nothing has been easy.

Do I stand a chance at getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

You seem like you want it bad enough, so don't give up. I got in to UNECOM and what they're looking for is someone just like you....mature, has a family...basically non-traditional.
I would definitely apply. Your GPA is good and you have unique life experiences. Just concentrate on doing well on the MCAT and you should have a good fighting chance.