Too late for primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to submit the primary application now? I mean, the secondaries won't start coming in until August. Is there a disadvantage at all to applying now? Is it still considered early or is it late now? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't early but you're not late, either. We of SDN have a little bit of an obsession with doing everything ASAP. Plenty of non-SDNers I knew sent in their primary in August/Sept. and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my primary in September or something like that and secondaries in October and I got in....

Yeah, you are straight. There are alot of neurotic premeds here who submitted on the first possible day. Most non-SDN premeds don't submit even close to that early. So compared to them, yeah you are still early, but compared to neurotic SDNers, you are so so so so so so so so late, lol.

My primary was submitted July 16th and I did alright. I don't think you're late at all. Just don't waste anymore time. Submit ASAP!

If you already have your MCAT score you are far far ahead of those whos applications won't get looked at till October.

I have a friend who sent in his primary on Sept. 1 and he is currently at Duke Med. Its not to late...apply away

You're definitely fine, don't worry about the people who say you have no chance if you don't submit by June 5. Many people who submited before you won't be complete for a while anyway, several (myself included) are still working on getting all their LOR's in and writing up secondary essays. Shoot to submit as soon as you're ready, and start getting all the other stuff (like LOR's) in order so you can be complete as soon as possible. Remeber, the deadlines are in November, not August, so you're still really 3 months early.

Ridiculous. My advisor's most adament advice to me was not to let anyone convince you that July was late. She said that anytime before the end of July is still early. Just b/c you aren't the first application they see doesn't mean you should worry or take off another year of your life. That's just silly.

Yeah, I was told that if you submit your PRIMARY "In the J's" June, July that is considered early and is totally passable.

As your SDN friend, I would tell you to not waste any time though: if you go to the thread "April MCATers Submit AMCAS?", you'll see the list of people who have submitted and are verified, and who are waiting to be verified. The wait times only get longer.

That being said, double and triple check your application. Print out the PDF (first page "Print Application") and CHECK IT! On paper! Have someone else look at it. Submit is forever, baby. :luck:

I didn't submit mine until the very end of July last year - I start med school in two weeks. Trust me, you're fine.

If you consider yourself a "strong applicant" as far as numbers goes (MCAT 31+, GPA [science and non-science] 3.5+) then you're not late. However, if you happen to be a "weak applicant", like me (not applying this cycle but I know I am), such as a GPA in the low 3.0's and MCAT in the mid to high 20's, then this is very late in my opinion, because you're best bet as a "weak applicant" at this point would be punctuality. Best of luck to you! :p

MaKaye55 said:
If you consider yourself a "strong applicant" as far as numbers goes (MCAT 31+, GPA [science and non-science] 3.5+) then you're not late. However, if you happen to be a "weak applicant", like me (not applying this cycle but I know I am), such as a GPA in the low 3.0's and MCAT in the mid to high 20's, then this is very late in my opinion, because you're best bet as a "weak applicant" at this point would be punctuality. Best of luck to you! :p

In no way is applying in the middle-end of July late for any applicant.

ADeadLois said:
In no way is applying in the middle-end of July late for any applicant.

Absolutely right. :thumbup:

And we should just stop the madness about this whole late-application thing right now. If you've applied in June, July or August, you're not late. You're normal.

In my personal opinion the August MCAT'ers have it harder numbers-wise (because there are less spots, blah blah blah) but there are plenty of people who take the Aug MCAT that are complete in October that get in as well.

SERENITY NOW!! :laugh: