Too Late to Apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoya2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm just wondering if it's too late to start applying to D.O. schools. I know it's probably a longshot, but it would be awesome to not have a gap year after graduation.

I would have applied earlier but I couldn't sit for my MCAT in August, and so I'm registered for Jan 2011.

My stats are:
3.25c GPA and 3.1s GPA at a Top 20 private university (B.S. Chem)
3 yrs of research (2 publications, 1 first authored)
EMT-B Certified, Plenty of clinical volunteering
Range of practice MCAT scores so far: 31-35

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm just wondering if it's too late to start applying to D.O. schools. I know it's probably a longshot, but it would be awesome to not have a gap year after graduation.

I would have applied earlier but I couldn't sit for my MCAT in August, and so I'm registered for Jan 2011.

My stats are:
3.25c GPA and 3.1s GPA at a Top 20 private university (B.S. Chem)
3 yrs of research (2 publications, 1 first authored)
EMT-B Certified, Plenty of clinical volunteering
Range of practice MCAT scores so far: 31-35

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!:)

You're taking the MCAT in January, which means you wouldn't have an MCAT score until February. I would say that's too late for this application cycle.

When I applied for 2009 admission, I wasn't complete until early December and managed to get 2 interviews. I was placed on the waitlist and ended up not getting in.

I certainly understand not wanting a gap year. Heck, my gap "year" has turned in to a gap three years...but I've been making the most of it. In your case, I think it would be best to spend these next few weeks focusing on your MCAT, then start prepping your application and be ready to submit to AACOMAS on the first day it opens.

I wish you the best with whatever path you choose!

Yea unfortunately I think its too late for you. Even if your MCAT goes great and you get lucky enough to get one of those last interviews of the season, you would essentially be interviewing for waitlist spots. AND if you get off the waitlist you probably won't be at one of your top choice schools.

Last year around this time I was considering the same choice. I took the year off and applied June 1. Now I have an acceptance at a place I might actually want to live.

Just my opinion, I also didn't want to explain in interviews why I was a reapplicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with swimchick and you when you say that it's probably a longshot. In fact, it's definitely a longshot that, if not successful, would be a complete waste of time and money. Might as well give yourself the best chance you can and apply early for the next cycle. The GPAs you have currently, while should be okay to get secondaries, isn't going to do you in any favors this late in the cycle toward getting an interview/acceptance pretty much anywhere. Nothing wrong with a gap year, build up your application. If you can, retake any classes you did poorly in or you could maybe boost your GPAs up a little bit more?

Plus, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you take the MCAT in Jan, you don't get a score back until March sometime, right?

Good luck on the MCAT, though. Try to get something within that range.

I'm not entirely sure how competitive D.O. admissions are right now (Wish there was an MSAR type of resource for this)...

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I just want to thank you guys for the advice.

Do you think I may have a shot getting into a Texas D.O. school (in-state resident) with my (currently) ~3.2 GPA and (expected) ~32 MCAT for Fall 2012?

I'm not entirely sure how competitive D.O. admissions are right now (Wish there was an MSAR type of resource for this)...

Well there's only one DO school in TX - TCOM - and your MCAT is definitely good enough for that. As far as the GPA, I'm not sure. I applied last cycle with a 3.57 and 29 MCAT but didn't get an interview. Maybe if your ECs and personal statement are good enough, you just might get it.

But considering you'll probably have a year off, why don't you try the UNTHSC medical science program? You'll be studying at the same campus as TCOM, and you'll have better chances of getting in there for the Fall 2012 cycle. The program is perfect if your GPA isn't competitive enough. When I didn't get in last year, I applied in Feb to the program and I'm doing that currently. You will have to work your butt off though and get a good GPA. The perk is that when you apply for Fall 2012, you will not be competing with every other applicant for TCOM. The only people you're competing with are the people in the program. We have about 150 in our class now and about 20 slots reserved at TCOM for us. If you do well, then you'll graduate May 2012 with a masters in medical science and hopefully an acceptance for med school for Fall 2012. A lot of my peers were accepted to other schools as well (many in A&M). Let me know if you have questions about it.

To answer your first question, you'd be past the deadlines at a lot of places, but 10 DO schools will allow you to submit a primary by March 1st or later. If you have the funds, and get a very good score, have good ECs, shadowing, etc, maybe you could try. Just know that it is a long shot.

As for DO school stats, doapplicants.com is a great resource imo (under the school table) and has average GPA and MCAT scores, though I believe they are from the previous year. TCOM has an avg of 3.57/28 so you have a good shot.

don't make this decision in terms of weighing one measly year so heavily. think of it this way: you can never change your med school once you graduate. as a result, it behoves you to apply at the start of the app season, maximize your chance at more competitive schools, and see where the chips fall. I would try and get some life experience between now and may - work in a 3rd world country teaching english, volunteer in your hometown with underserved populations, whatever. the point is, carve out a niche where you will truly stand out amongst everyone.

my $0.02.

I agree with SFO that your "best" approach (imo) would be to apply next year. It's best to avoid the label of a re-applicant if possible and though a year of time may seem like alot, you have to weigh what is realistic and what isn't. Your GPA is nothing special and even with a great MCAT score, like the others have said above, you'd have your score in Feb and by the time schools review your application, you'd be looking at an interview spot sometime in April, arguably for spots on the waiting list.

Take time off and make the most of it by improving your CV with more clinical activities such as an accelerated EMT-B course, working at a homeless youth shelter or whatnot and have as stellar of an application as you can send out in June. That seems like a far more practical option imo.

Thanks again, everyone!

Panasonic52-- Definitely interested in the TCOM Masters. However, are you saying that only 20 people out of the 150 end up at TCOM? That doesn't suggest a very strong linkage (?).

I think the # may be higher but UNTH's GSBS program is well respected all over Texas so students go to some of the allo institutions as well.

Anyway, there are many other DO SMPs as well (I attend a different one than Panasonic) that are a great preparation/transition between pre-med and medical school so I also agree with this option.

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I just want to thank you guys for the advice.

Do you think I may have a shot getting into a Texas D.O. school (in-state resident) with my (currently) ~3.2 GPA and (expected) ~32 MCAT for Fall 2012?

it's called the CIB.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

helps to come out in the open, doesn't it ? :p

Thanks again, everyone!

Panasonic52-- Definitely interested in the TCOM Masters. However, are you saying that only 20 people out of the 150 end up at TCOM? That doesn't suggest a very strong linkage (?).

They might have increased it slightly, but it is still in the 20s. The linkage might not be as great as some of the other SMP programs, but like jslo85 said, the reputation is great with all the schools in Texas. It's even well-liked at other out-of-state DO schools. LECOM told us they'll reserve about 20 seats as well for us for Fall 2012. Even though only around 20-25 get into TCOM, about 80-85% of the class gets accepted into medical school. That's pretty high.

Yes you are very late, however if you apply you still have a chance of getting in but if you don't apply you have zero chance of acceptance.