Too late to apply for the HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mit Lu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to apply for the HPSP army scholarship starting in the 2010-2011 dental school year? If I were to apply early for the 3 year program next cycle, whate are the advatages/disadvantages of a 3 year verses 4 year scholarship? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to apply for the HPSP army scholarship starting in the 2010-2011 dental school year? If I were to apply early for the 3 year program next cycle, whate are the advatages/disadvantages of a 3 year verses 4 year scholarship? Thanks in advance

Yes. Way too late. It's actually almost a good time to start applications for the 3 year HPSP. Advantages of a 3 year?...you serve 1 year less. Disadvantages?...you lose 1 year of $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Way too late. It's actually almost a good time to start applications for the 3 year HPSP. Advantages of a 3 year?...you serve 1 year less. Disadvantages?...you lose 1 year of $$$

Actually I'm not 100% sure about that. Check the navy threads. They might be handing out 3.5 year HPSP out officially in the the fall. As I understand it, you pay for the first year and then are reimbursed after you have signed (since you have already started school). Thus you only actually miss out on the first semester or perhaps year of monthly stipends.

As I understand it, you pay for the first year and then are reimbursed after you have signed (since you have already started school). Thus you only actually miss out on the first semester or perhaps year of monthly stipends.
They already have waitlists for what you have mentioned.

The military only created 3 year scholarships because there were left over 4 years. If there aren't any 4 years left, then there will be no 3 years. There's no need to have a dentist serving for 3 years when there will be one serving for 4 during the same time period.

Actually I'm not 100% sure about that. Check the navy threads. They might be handing out 3.5 year HPSP out officially in the the fall. As I understand it, you pay for the first year and then are reimbursed after you have signed (since you have already started school). Thus you only actually miss out on the first semester or perhaps year of monthly stipends.

Army is not like Navy, and they will do things differently. Do not count on the 3.5 yr scholarships.

No, apply for the 4 yr scholarship. Although you will likely not get it, it will give you a better chance of getting the 3 yr HPSP scholarship offered next year. They will more than likely roll your application over to the 3 yr scholarships.

The military only created 3 year scholarships because there were left over 4 years. If there aren't any 4 years left, then there will be no 3 years. There's no need to have a dentist serving for 3 years when there will be one serving for 4 during the same time period.

Not correct. It is a business decision to offer 3-yr HPSP scholarships. They offer some 3 yr scholarships because it offers them a chance to bring in more officers. By converting some 4 yr scholarships into 3 yr - they can bring in more officers in total while still spending the same money. The more officers that are brought in, the higher the percentage of officers that may stay longer.