Quantcast

Too late to cancel interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, just wanted to get some feedback on when you feel is too late to cancel an interview. Or how far in advance is "polite?" I mean obviously ASAP is best but sometimes you just can't make up your mind...is one week enough? two weeks? i feel awful canceling during the holiday season b/c it will probably cost more for those that need to make last minute travel arrangements...any thoughts would be much appreciated.
(i know this is a stupid post but it would ease my mind.:oops: )

D

deleted109597

Cancel as early as you decide not to go. Even if it is 3 days before. They like more notice than less. I have heard people cancelling day before, but I wouldn't risk that.

sunnygyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's better to cancel even at the last minute that to show up if you have no interest in the program. This way, someone who is interested in the program and is on the waitlist can be given the opportunity to interview at that program. For one of the places I am waitlisted at, I told the coordinator to call me up until the day before the interview if a spot opens up because I will be in the area anyway, and could get there for no extra $$ even at the last second. Obviously the earlier you cancel an interview the better, but sometimes things change at the last minute, and I kind of think these coordinators are used to that! Just my 2 cents.

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I second the as soon as possible responses above. And whatever you do, don't not show up. The program coordinator at one of my interviews asked another applicant about a student at her program who didn't show up for the interview - she apparently no showed at the other interview day for another program the applicant was asked about. The program coordinator was ticked - said she's got people on the waiting list that could have had the spot had she just said something.