Too late to prepare for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbomb123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got an interview the 28th of this month and have done literally nothing to prepare :scared:. Is it too late to prepare for the interview?!? What do I need to do?

Members don't see this ad.

You have almost 3 weeks... You can prepare for an interview in a day or two.

Sdn interview feedbacks are rly helpful. Beside that, look over your essays and application and prepare to say why you did each of those things. Then, i would practice in front of mirror/another person to answer the "why medicine?" question because that is what they ask every time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have almost 3 weeks. That should be more than enough to prepare

the level of neuroticism in SDN is astonishing...even if u had a week, that'd be plenty of time...1 hour of int. practice per day for a week is MORE than enough...chill....

this is u = :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

this is me= :whistle:

I've got an interview the 28th of this month and have done literally nothing to prepare :scared:. Is it too late to prepare for the interview?!? What do I need to do?

I'm preparing tonight for like an hour for my interview tomorrow morning ... you'll be fine.

Write down these things:
1. The traits you have that you think will make you a better doctor.
2. Why you think you know you want to be a doctor
3. Why you think you can make it through medical.

Next write down a story from your premed or life experiences to substantiate each of the things you wrote down. Do a few mock interview and work on fitting these traits and stories into your interview answers. Doing this you will be able to have an interesting and fun interview while still selling yourself.

Also, you need to read up on healthcare policy.

Another thing, I always hear people say they spent their entire interview talking about random junk with their interviewer. They think they well did because it was a pleasant interesting conversation. THIS IS WRONG. You need to give the interviewer some material they can use to defend you against the admissions committee. You have to sell yourself and still have an interesting pleasant conversation. Just one these is not good enough.

Write down these things:
1. The traits you have that you think will make you a better doctor.
2. Why you think you know you want to be a doctor
3. Why you think you can make it through medical.

Next write down a story from your premed or life experiences to substantiate each of the things you wrote down. Do a few mock interview and work on fitting these traits and stories into your interview answers. Doing this you will be able to have an interesting and fun interview while still selling yourself.

Also, you need to read up on healthcare policy.

This is really good advice. :thumbup:

Another thing, I always hear people say they spent their entire interview talking about random junk with their interviewer. They think they well did because it was a pleasant interesting conversation. THIS IS WRONG. You need to give the interviewer some material they can use to defend you against the admissions committee. You have to sell yourself and still have an interesting pleasant conversation. Just one these is not good enough.

That's arguable imo ... I think interviewers want to get a picture of who you are and whether you would be someone that they want to be around for the next 4 years. If they direct the conversation and don't "grill you" on your app details it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

I know a lot of friends that have had the exact same thing happen to them and they ended up getting accepted at most of those places so I think that to make this type of statement is pretty wrong (Ex: I know of someone that did not even talk about a single thing regarding himself or his app at UPenn and ended up getting accepted ... and I have heard several other similar stories of people interviewing at other schools).

Usually, at most schools, getting an interview means that you are an academically qualified applicant and at this point, they are just trying to see whether they like you and if you fit in.

Read this, good tips and worth the $12. It can be read in less than 2 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Medical-S...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+medical+school+interview

51I7Zhs%2BXFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Sdn interview feedbacks are rly helpful. Beside that, look over your essays and application and prepare to say why you did each of those things. Then, i would practice in front of mirror/another person to answer the "why medicine?" question because that is what they ask every time.

Have yet to get "why medicine?" But yeah make sure you have an answer to that one.

You have plenty of time to prepare. Make sure all your logistical stuff is ready(plane, suit, host, etc). For the actual interview you should be ready for the most part, especially after writing secondaries. Read over your application, your secondary essays, the SDN interview feedback questions, and figure out why you want to go to that school(I have been asked "why this school" at every interview so far). You got this, don't stress yourself out.

Last edited:
That's arguable imo ... I think interviewers want to get a picture of who you are and whether you would be someone that they want to be around for the next 4 years. If they direct the conversation and don't "grill you" on your app details it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

I know a lot of friends that have had the exact same thing happen to them and they ended up getting accepted at most of those places so I think that to make this type of statement is pretty wrong (Ex: I know of someone that did not even talk about a single thing regarding himself or his app at UPenn and ended up getting accepted ... and I have heard several other similar stories of people interviewing at other schools).

Usually, at most schools, getting an interview means that you are an academically qualified applicant and at this point, they are just trying to see whether they like you and if you fit in.

I disagree. Go to an interview and talk to the people there. EVERYONE is likable. Everyone can carry a conversation. I don't know on SDN people think that there a ton of of applicants who weirdos and can't carry a conversation. The majority of your competition are perfectly normal and likable human beings. Simply being likable isn't enough. You need to give your interviewer some material to use when they present you to the addmissions comittee. Theis doesnt mean recite stuff that is already on your application. That is also wrong. Communicate who YOU are and why that makes you a good candidate to be a doctor and a good fit for their school. The best way to do this is with stories from your life and activities. You only get ~30 min in an interview, don't spend it talking about dodgeball or w/e, sell yourself.

This is just my opinion of course, but atleast to me it makes alot of sense.

OP, you should probably just cancel the interview.

Jk, you'll be fine, good luck!

I got my interviewer to start talking about existentialism. As I was leaving, I asked him what it meant. We both laughed.