Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just found the sdn and found it to be very helpful. Thanks to all the members and all those who share opinions. I plan to take the DAT in November. Is it too late, considering I'm applying for fall 2005. I am very nervous as this is my first time to take the DAT and I'm a full time student, biochemistry major and graduate in May. I have a 3.5 GPA and do not know if it is competitive enough. I'm applying to Meharry, Marquette, University of Kentucky and U of Louisville in Kentucky. (I live in Kentucky)Would my scores be out in time for the schools? Can I send my scores to the school when I have them or is it mailed directly to the school? Please, I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks
Bess

Members don't see this ad.

Bess

Application deadlines for the schools that you mentioned follow:

Meharry - March 1, 2005
Marquette - March 1, 2005
UK - Feb 1, 2005
UL - Feb 1, 2005

So technically it isn't too late, but you are at a disadvantage to applicants who get their applications in earlier (as we all know). It's always worth a shot although it depends on you numbers, background, etc as well. I would recommend that you get your application in as soon as you can to include lining up your letters of recommendation so that schools are just waiting on your DAT scores. In addition to that, give them a call and let them know your situation.

Just my $0.02 -- TX Hopeful

I'm in a similar situation. Just took the dat early this week. I'm working on my essay and plan to send it in no later than next week. I know it's advantageous to submit in early. However, except early interviews, whatelse does it get you? How often schools grant admitance before their deadline? Of course, an exceptionally high gpa and dat score is not included.

I've talked to Case Western about this issue because I too was going to take the DAT way later than the rest (December to be exact). They said that I would most definitely be on their alternate list. So, it is not too late but you will probably be at a disadvantage. The bright side is that, at least at Case, the alternate or "wait" list isn't dependent on when you applyed or took the DAT. They rank you on the alternate list based on your stats: GPA, DAT, etc. So, if you did really well on DAT, you probably will be on top of the list.

One point to remember... some Dental schools distinguish between application deadline and DAT deadline. For instance, Ohio State and University of Washington both want you to have DAT scores in no later than OCT 31, but their application deadline is in DEC. If you miss the DAT deadline, you will automatically be considered for the next cycle. (In our case, Fall 2006). So i'm afraid, unless you take the DAT by the end of this month, some schools will not consider you until 2006 cycle. Again, check with the schools you are trying to get in and find out. ;) Hope this helps! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice everyone. I really appreciate that. I am very nervous about the PAT. It seems all strange to me and I do not do well on the practice test on this section. What is the best way to study for it?

bess said:
Thanks for your advice everyone. I really appreciate that. I am very nervous about the PAT. It seems all strange to me and I do not do well on the practice test on this section. What is the best way to study for it?
If you never had experience with 3-D geometry, you should get the Kaplan's CD (from the class). This one has solution with 3-D objects that allow you to turn to view under different angles. After you get used to looking at these things, just like most of other things, PrAcTice is the way. I wish you luck.

It might not seem like a big deal as long as you send in apps before deadlines but here's something to think about... the turn around time for AADSAS to process and send your applications to the school(s) is now 4-8weeks... from what they say they are anticipating hitting over the 10K mark this year in apps... and also... considering the fact that most schools are on rolling admissions... doesn't seem like they will have much trouble filling in seats this year... with that being said... it might be very advantageous to be prompt with the apps... I sent in my early sept... it still hasn't been processed yet.

So to answer some questions... the DAT scores are sent by ADA after you take the test... AADSAS sends the other part of your apps... but use me as a learning lesson.... I sent in all my transcripts to AADSAS... but they are having trouble receiving one of them... or they're not getting their mail properly but my undergraduate institution rush delivered it twice in the past two months... i don't know... maybe three times the charm.... but expect some sort of problems... its not a smooth process...