Too many courses at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One Fly Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time I transfer to a university my schedule will look like this. Am I taking too many required courses here for med school? I figure this schedule would be the best way for me to transfer to a Biology program, if I do good.

SEMESTER 1

Intro Chemistry
Psychology
Humanities/Art Course
English 1

SUMMER SEMESTER 1/2
Pre-Calculus Trig

SUMMER SEMESTER 2/2
Statistics

SEMESTER 2
English 2
Biology 1
Chemistry 1
Calculus 1

Members don't see this ad.

you may get locked out of the few schools that flat out don't accept CC credits for prereqs, but as long a you transfer after that "Semester 2" leaving a bunch of biology (assuming a bio major), bio 2, chem 2, organic series and physics series. Essentially you are taken very few prereqs at a CC.

you may get locked out of the few schools that flat out don't accept CC credits for prereqs, but as long a you transfer after that "Semester 2" leaving a bunch of biology (assuming a bio major), bio 2, chem 2, organic series and physics series. Essentially you are taken very few prereqs at a CC.

What schools lock you out?

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools lock you out?

Too early to worry about that. After you have your GPA, MCAT, ECs and LOR altogether you can put together a list of schools that fit in you stats. THEN you can call the schools, if they don't say so already in the MSAR, about the policy on CC credit.

I think the best way to go about this is to save as many prereq classes as possible for 4 year school. Just take the minimum of courses that would allow you to transfer into your major.

I and 5 other friends, all these guys are in medical school already, took all our prereq at CC. If I had known ahead of time about CC credit, I would have saved some for 4 yr school. Anyway, I also got 1 acceptance this cycle so I can tell you CC credit will not hurt you as long as you have good grades throughout your undergrad career. Good luck.

It seems fine. And there aren't that many schools which don't accept CC credits. The main thing is to take courses such as Organic chemistry, physics, cell bio, etc., at a 4-year school, intro bio and chem are alright.

x

Last edited:
There seem to be rumors going around that schools lock you out because of CC but I've yet to see proof of one that exists. I've heard a lot of schools named as such that I ended up getting interviews at (I've spent a *lot* of time at CC) so take everything you hear on here with a grain of salt and call schools yourself to find out if they take CC credits. Some schools do discourage CC classes but that's not the same as flat out not accepting them.

OP, i think you're fine with that course load at CC. You're really only taking Bio 1 and Chem 1 there for pre-reqs. If you do the rest at the university and do well, I'd be surprised if any admissions committee will care.

I'd be doing the two math classes (Calculated and statistics) , that is usually required as well. Also doing the two English courses.

There seem to be rumors going around that schools lock you out because of CC but I've yet to see proof of one that exists. I've heard a lot of schools named as such that I ended up getting interviews at (I've spent a *lot* of time at CC) so take everything you hear on here with a grain of salt and call schools yourself to find out if they take CC credits. Some schools do discourage CC classes but that's not the same as flat out not accepting them.

OP, i think you're fine with that course load at CC. You're really only taking Bio 1 and Chem 1 there for pre-reqs. If you do the rest at the university and do well, I'd be surprised if any admissions committee will care.

True; I'd say there are maybe 5-8 schools that flat out say they don't take CC credits, and then some others who discourage them. I think the bottom line is, make sure you have a really good GPA at a CC, and make sure you maintain that really good GPA at a 4-year institute. There's no reason for an adcom to have a doubt of your academic abilities (minus the MCAT) if you've done well at both a CC and a 4-year.

I think as long as your trend continues upwards once you reach a university, most wouldn't consider you vastly different than someone who spent all 4 years at a university. Just keep doing good in every class you take in the next 4 years and it really won't matter. CC's for the most do as much harm as you do to yourself in your last 2 years.