Too many credit hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahalopele

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 24 credit hours too much, if it only includes
- General Chemistry II (medium-easy)-4
- Calculus II-4
- Intro to cell and molecular bio/L-4
- Elementary Statistics (gen ed requirement, supposedly really easy)-3
- Acting I for the stage-3
- Honors Colloquium (don't know how bad this will be)-3
- Medical terminology (someone once completed this class online in two weeks, just so that they wouldn't have to buy the access code for the online website). -3

Opinions?
Crazy/suicidal? Possible? Not too awful? Are you f****** crazy?

Is it possible, or is it asking for trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

Asking for trouble and doable. Gen chem 2 is probably harder than you think it will be. Honors colloquium and medical terminology are easy. My stats class was surprisingly difficult but YMMV

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking double overtime right now; don't do unnecessary things. Its possible if you have wonderful time management skills, which most of us don't truly develop until Med-school. Gen chem II was the hardest class i've ever taken, but only because of difficult/unfamiliar exam questions given by the professor.

If you have to ask this question its too much.
I've seen students take this much and excel but, most the time they do poorly or drop some of those classes.

Why the rush? I took a few heavy 20+ semesters because I came in with AP credits and just wanted to knock them out since I wasn't using my credits. I literally had to spend less than an hour before each exam because I knew it inside out. I can't imagine being productive outside the classroom with such a course load if you don't have previous mastery of the courses.

I wouldn't do this. Drop the credits to a normal amount and round out your app. If you want to get ahead take summer courses.

You didn't tell us why you are doing this but I wouldn't do it. Sure you might be able to do okay but you should do great in all of your classes. And what about working on your ECs and volunteering and life in general.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Is 24 credit hours too much, if it only includes
- General Chemistry II (medium-easy)-4
- Calculus II-4
- Intro to cell and molecular bio/L-4
- Elementary Statistics (gen ed requirement, supposedly really easy)-3
- Acting I for the stage-3
- Honors Colloquium (don't know how bad this will be)-3
- Medical terminology (someone once completed this class online in two weeks, just so that they wouldn't have to buy the access code for the online website). -3

Opinions?
Crazy/suicidal? Possible? Not too awful? Are you f****** crazy?

Is it possible, or is it asking for trouble?

currently taking 20 hours (orgo2, a&p2, a fine arts, child psych, sociolôgy, and a graduate nutrition), doing psych research not for credit, and a starter on a spring sport team (30 hours a week)
not easy but doable.

I've done multiple semesters like this and they really weren't that bad in hindsight. you'll obviously be far busier than most of your peers, but if you need to do it, then it's doable. I emphasize need, because if you don't NEED to, then don't waste your energy doing it. it'd be unnecessary and could potentially harm your grades if you end up not being up to the challenge.

also, with all that said, I also worked a ton during those semesters, and they were still a cakewalk compared to med school, but you will still have to plan your social life accordingly to make it work. good luck

Do not go over 20 credit hours. Do not get Ws. Do no harm. To self, others, or GPA.

(Do not have a life outside of school.)

Burn out is very real but YMMV depending on the caliber of your education.

The force is strong in this one!