Too Many Interviews: HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure other people are dealing with this as well but I haven't found the thread about it.

I applied to 12 DO schools and so far I received 8 official invites (probably 9 if I submit my Touro-NY secondary but $200 is a little steep so I'm not sure yet).
I've gone to 2 interviews AZCOM (and was accepted) and just recently I interviewed at KCUMB.
Coming up, I have already scheduled Touro-CA, Western, and NYCOM. I definitely want to go to these 3.
I have yet to schedule CCOM, DMU, and KCOM.
Everyone tells me to go to every interview because even though I think I might not like it I could be pleasantly surprized.
Well I'm in school right now (with a heavy courseload and doing research) so that's easier said than done. Plus $$$ is a factor because I'm hoping to hear from some of the >30 MD schools I applied to.

Anyway my question: I'm from CA and I went to MO. It wasn't right for me. Actually my entire trip: leaving San Diego to Kansas City and back was a complete nightmare (with layovers, delayed flights, my hotel was actually motel, my husband got lost somewhere in MO, turbulence = people vomiting on a old cramped airplane, my plane almost crash landed due to the marine layer in SD, we were diverted to orange county, then I had school the next morning after getting home at 3am). Let's just say I'll probably NEVER go back. :(
This made me want to decline my interview at KCOM. Should I? My husband and I do not want to live in MO. I hate to say it but we are spoiled beach people people.
Now those of you who have interviewed at KCUMB and DMU, should I go to DMU? I'm afraid Iowa is similar to MO. Also like MO, it's really expensive to fly there. If any californians have any input that will be helpful.
I think I'm going to schedule my CCOM interview but I'm sooooo busy.

Anyway, my whole point is, should I go to all my interviews? It seems like many people are canceling interviews after being accepted to places they like. I haven't yet, but I'd rather go to AZCOM than KCUMB which makes me think I won't like KCOM or DMU...

Members don't see this ad.

If you like AZCOM better than those other schools. Don't go to them if you are tight for money, and time... Your husband doesn't want to live in K'ville so I wouldn't go to that one.

Other people will say, "You might fall in love with the school so go to all of them." This is a good point too, so factor in that.

But it is up to you!

You probably can't go wrong with AZCOM. I feel your pain. I've only been to 3 interviews, and I'm worn out. I should hear from a couple places this week, and if I get in somewhere, I will probably just close up shop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote for withdrawing from DMU, KCOM and CCOM but that's just because it might give me a better chance at getting an interview at those schools. :smuggrin:

haha, watch out for EEL. She has tried to steal my Erie acceptance! jk.

I vote for withdrawing from DMU, KCOM and CCOM but that's just because it might give me a better chance at getting an interview at those schools. :smuggrin:

Ok, that sounds a little selfish for a future doc. :mad: Thx for your support, lol.

I don't really want to go to AZCOM. I just didn't LOVE it. I thought I would got to med schools and be mesmerized. I obviously didn't love KCUMB either.

I'm wondering if I'll love any school though. It seems like I read other people's post and after their interview they're ecstatic about some school.
I'm wondering what I'll do if I keep going on these interviews and I can't picture myself anywhere.
Did other people interview at places and think, the school was just alright ie: "I'll go here if I have to..."

Keep in mind that you're not interviewing to find a beach paradise. You are looking for a med school. Fundamentally, they are all the same. None of these places are places you will be living permanently either. Its 2 years, then you're off on rotations.

And EEL08 was kidding. Relax.

Keep in mind that you're not interviewing to find a beach paradise. You are looking for a med school. Fundamentally, they are all the same. None of these places are places you will be living permanently either. Its 2 years, then you're off on rotations.

And EEL08 was kidding. Relax.

Duh, I know I was kidding too :laugh:

And I know that med schools aren't beach paradises but I'm just not wowed like I had anticipated. When people talk about schools on here they sound so amazing.

The location of the school is important, not for my own happiness but for my husband because I'll be studying all the time so it makes no difference to me.
I am hoping to find a school that feels right with: a good reputation for rotations/residency matches, effective curriculum ~ good average board scores, up-to-date facilities, decent tuition/cost of living, somewhere my husband will like/can find work, and most importantly: somewhere I can picture myself going (a beach may or may not be include :laugh:).

Don't worry about residency matches. You will create your own opportunities for that. Not the school.

Don't worry about residency matches. You will create your own opportunities for that. Not the school.

But (of course who knows what sources are used on here) the reputation of the school could (it may or may not in some cases) be a factor for matching into some residency programs. Plus I guess it's just comforting seeing previous students get accepted into programs I'd like to apply too.

Duh, I know I was kidding too :laugh:

And I know that med schools aren't beach paradises but I'm just not wowed like I had anticipated. When people talk about schools on here they sound so amazing.

The location of the school is important, not for my own happiness but for my husband because I'll be studying all the time so it makes no difference to me.
I am hoping to find a school that feels right with: a good reputation for rotations/residency matches, effective curriculum ~ good average board scores, up-to-date facilities, decent tuition/cost of living, somewhere my husband will like/can find work, and most importantly: somewhere I can picture myself going (a beach may or may not be include :laugh:).

Sorry I was just joking! I think a lot of people can attest to the fact that I'm really rooting for all of us to get in. I've never been a gunner nor do I plan on it. That being said, those really are great schools and maybe one of those is the school you will get that "this is it" feeling. I haven't even been on my one interview yet so I can only imagine what it would be like to go on that many. This is an extremely important decision though so in spite of the hassle and cost of traveling, etc. maybe you should keep going to your interviews until you feel good about the choice you make. :luck:

I think Touro is an automatic interview if they send you a secondary (if that helps). Schools that are close to the ocean are Touro-Ca (i'm sure you know this), NSU, UNE(cold i know), and i think that may be it. I heard arizona is fun-maybe you should check it out. Good luck

I just wanted to say that from my experiences, the things that you said are definately all important variables. But to me, the things that got me excited and jumping for joy and screaming hoo-ray for a school had to do with the people and not these others factors. I understand that you hated KCUMB but from the moment I walked in, I felt like I was at home. The people were so nice I can't describe it in words and they were mature and helpful. The school just had a moral compass to it and the people who interviewed me really wanted to know me and not get canned responses. I was able to say things during my interview about my beliefs and morals and they understood and did not judge me. There are several groups on campus for people of different religions and beliefs and a bioethics program. I am not religious but I have very strong moral beliefs and I guess I would consider myself spiritual. Anyway, I left saying I want to spend the next four years of my life with these people; not a builiding or a dummy that breathes and pees. Don't get me wrong, those other aspects are important, but not what gets me jumping up and down.

On the other hand, I LOVE the midwest. I'm about as pure bred Nebraskan as you can be for a white girl and I hate it when people cut down the midwest just bc they haven't experienced it before. The people are nice, the cost of living is good, and people have strong beliefs and stick to their guns (literally and figuratively). I would fight for this area of the country if I had to so it bothers me when some of these schools advertize how quickly you can get out of here after your two years. I wish they would be a little more focused on providing our rural areas with competent physicians so my advice is to go to AZCOM if you don't like it out here. One way or another, good luck. :luck::luck: These are just my opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I was just joking! I think a lot of people can attest to the fact that I'm really rooting for all of us to get in. I've never been a gunner nor do I plan on it. That being said, those really are great schools and maybe one of those is the school you will get that "this is it" feeling. I haven't even been on my one interview yet so I can only imagine what it would be like to go on that many. This is an extremely important decision though so in spite of the hassle and cost of traveling, etc. maybe you should keep going to your interviews until you feel good about the choice you make. :luck:

I didn't mean to sound mean, I was joking too. ;) I knew you were kidding. I've read lots of your posts.
I guess its hard to be sarcastic on here. :idea: I'll try to avoid it for now on.

I reallllly want the "this is it feeling." I think my experience in the midwest is sabotaging me from liking KCOM and DMU. I'd hate to wonder about these schools if I decline the interview though.

On the other hand I think I'll LOOOVE UNECOM. I hope they invite me.:luck:

KCOM is great. It is in my top three behind CCOM and MSU.

I didn't mean to sound mean, I was joking too. ;) I knew you were kidding. I've read lots of your posts.
I guess its hard to be sarcastic on here. :idea: I'll try to avoid it for now on.

I reallllly want the "this is it feeling." I think my experience in the midwest is sabotaging me from liking KCOM and DMU. I'd hate to wonder about these schools if I decline the interview though.

On the other hand I think I'll LOOOVE UNECOM. I hope they invite me.:luck:

Yeah sometimes it's hard to get the right tone across on here. I agree with t-funk though. I think the midwest is a great area to live. Of course I would like to try out other areas of the country as well. Do your best not to let other experiences affect your opinion of the schools you haven't visited yet. It's too bad this process can't be like "Sliding Doors"( I think that's it) where you could see how things would work out for making different decisions.

I just wanted to say that from my experiences, the things that you said are definately all important variables. But to me, the things that got me excited and jumping for joy and screaming hoo-ray for a school had to do with the people and not these others factors. I understand that you hated KCUMB but from the moment I walked in, I felt like I was at home. The people were so nice I can't describe it in words and they were mature and helpful. The school just had a moral compass to it and the people who interviewed me really wanted to know me and not get canned responses. I was able to say things during my interview about my beliefs and morals and they understood and did not judge me. There are several groups on campus for people of different religions and beliefs and a bioethics program. I am not religious but I have very strong moral beliefs and I guess I would consider myself spiritual. Anyway, I left saying I want to spend the next four years of my life with these people; not a builiding or a dummy that breathes and pees. Don't get me wrong, those other aspects are important, but not what gets me jumping up and down.

On the other hand, I LOVE the midwest. I'm about as pure bred Nebraskan as you can be for a white girl and I hate it when people cut down the midwest just bc they haven't experienced it before. The people are nice, the cost of living is good, and people have strong beliefs and stick to their guns. I would fight for this area of the country if I had to so it bothers me when some of these schools advertize how quickly you can get out of here after your two years. I wish they would be a little more focused on providing our rural areas with competent physicians so my advice is to go to AZCOM if you don't like it out here. One way or another, good luck. :luck::luck: These are just my opinions.

I totally agree with you. The people at the University were so welcoming and so incredibly NICE. I fell in love with the ambassadors. My interviewers weren't that nice to me though, nor were other people in the area, like the restuarant we ate at and a lot of people at the airport were down right rude. There are rude people everywhere though so I just disregarded them. But I could definitely tell people have strong beliefs that they stand up for. I don't mean to offend anyone from the midwest but I was just saying I didn't feel like I belonged. When I went to AZ I didn't get this feeling. I could easily relate to people there. It's just not for me. Its hard to describe but different people like different things. One funny story was my husband stopped to use the restroom at a Chick Fil A and everyone was sooooo nice to him, he decided to order food even though he wasn't hungry.

I wasn't offended at all. I had a really bad interview somewhere so I know how that feels, it kind of turns you off of the school completely. If you have the monetary resources, I would go to every interview until you found the school of your dreams. DMU or KCOM might very well be it and you might fall in love with the midwest and practice in one of our counties with a 2,000 population. :laugh:

I have no desire to live in the midwest, but I'd go to school there. And maybe I'd decide I like it after a while.

I wasn't offended at all. I had a really bad interview somewhere so I know how that feels, it kind of turns you off of the school completely. If you have the monetary resources, I would go to every interview until you found the school of your dreams. DMU or KCOM might very well be it and you might fall in love with the midwest and practice in one of our counties with a 2,000 population. :laugh:

Yah, my interview was not very good. I was all over the place because I was exhausted: leading up to the interview I was studying for exams so I was getting no sleep, then my flight was delayed getting there so I may have gotten 4 hours at most the night before. After doing the panel, all the tours, and lunch I was about to crash.
But now that I think about it my interview at AZCOM was pretty bad too. I really need to work on organizing my thought before I start babbling all over the place.
I wish money wasn't a factor but it is. That's part of the reason I'm hesitant. Time is also a constraint.

Don't rule out the mid-west based on not liking one school or a bad experience. Also, you'll be studying so much that you will have very little beach time. I have friends at Nova who are second years and they have been to the beach 3 times in the 1.5 years they have been there.

You just need to make sure that you will not reject anything in the future. And like it has been mentioned, you will only have 2 years at KCOM (I don't know about the rest of the schools you mentioned, I didn't interview at any of them) if you love the school you can survive 2 years without an ocean.

Another thing; you can save costs by staying with a student at both KCOM and DMU. I stayed with a student at KCUMB at the CT and it was one of the best decisions I made. I don't know much about flying or renting a car so I can't help you there. Another suggestion I have is not to bring your husband if you can't afford to, I'm sure he'll trust your opinion. I guess I'm just trying to suggest to get to your interviews if you can at all.

I wish money wasn't a factor but it is. That's part of the reason I'm hesitant. Time is also a constraint.

I suggest you first check the bank or estimate how much money you can allocate for interviews. Then , if you come up short of the money, make a chart about the schools based on residency options, rotation sites etc. Then, Eliminate the least liked choices. It is as simple as that.

Another thing; you can save costs by staying with a student at both KCOM and DMU. I stayed with a student at KCUMB at the CT and it was one of the best decisions I made. I don't know much about flying or renting a car so I can't help you there. Another suggestion I have is not to bring your husband if you can't afford to, I'm sure he'll trust your opinion. I guess I'm just trying to suggest to get to your interviews if you can at all.

I brought him because he was really reluctant about moving to MO. If I ended up liking the school I wouldn't feel right about dragging him kicking and screaming to a place he's never been. I sort of feel the same way if I deceide to interview at KCOM or DMU. I think he should come since we had a rough trip last time.
I don't know what to do. :confused: Maybe I'll schedule the interviews after the holidays. Its so expensive right now.

I suggest you first check the bank or estimate how much money you can allocate for interviews. Then , if you come up short of the money, make a chart about the schools based on residency options, rotation sites etc. Then, Eliminate the least liked choices. It is as simple as that.

Hmmm. I'm really liking your advice too.
I'm also hoping to interview at MD schools I haven't even heard back from so it would be sad if I spend all my money and I hear from one of my state schools:rolleyes:.

I understand that, my SO does not like KC bc it is such a large urban city and I'm in the process of making him comfortable with KC right now. We may end up moving to a small town and I will have to commute. Don't know yet.

Another thing is that there are a lot of people on this forum who would kill for an interview at DMU as it is quite arguably one of the most competitive private DO schools out there. You should feel very lucky.

Another thing is that there are a lot of people on this forum who would kill for an interview at DMU as it is quite arguably one of the most competitive private DO schools out there. You should feel very lucky.

That would be me.

Psych, I ended up getting several interview invites in a row but once I was in to CCOM, I canceled them because CCOM was my number one.

If you are still unsure about a school you have been accepted to, then go to ones that you're interested in. MO is not that bad of a state - don't hold it against KCUMB and KCOM for the travel problems ;)

I had interviews at DMU and CCOM, and had scheduled ones at WVSOM, Nova, KCOM, and SIU. I declined WVSOM, Nova, and KCOM once I heard from CCOM and am still going to attend my SIU interview because I'm interested in that school still.

Don't worry - you'll be fine :)

I would not recommend AZCOM. They increased their class size to 250 students from 150, without giving people concrete answers as to how they are going to accomodate students at clinical rotation sites. So before you accept any offers from them, at least try and see if you can get a reliable, solid answer.

You do not want to throw away forty grand a year so that you get stuck with crap rotation sites.

I'm sure other people are dealing with this as well but I haven't found the thread about it.

I applied to 12 DO schools and so far I received 8 official invites

You remind me of my parents. They have a ton of money, in addition to the money my mother just inherited. They're always talking how how much they pay in taxes and how expensive the estate lawyers and CPAs. How hard they have it, the "burden" of money.

Seriously, I know it must be a difficult choice to make but I'd try to borrow and attend as many as possible. It is a big choice and a ton of money.

If you are still unsure about a school you have been accepted to, then go to ones that you're interested in.

Megster,

This is the most profound statement I've ever encountered on SDN. It speaks of years of wisdom and knowledge. So complex, so logical, so amazing. I've never been able to put it into words like that. Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost.....you're joining the greats.

Megster,

This is the most profound statement I've ever encountered on SDN. It speaks of years of wisdom and knowledge. So complex, so logical, so amazing. I've never been able to put it into words like that. Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost.....you're joining the greats.

Yomomma,

I've never had a sarcastic retort as witty as that one.

Well played, sir. Well played.

:D

Yomomma,

I've never had a sarcastic retort as witty as that one.

Well played, sir. Well played.

:D

I didn't mean any harm, I couldn't resist!!!!
You know I love 'ya Meg :love::love::love::love: