Too many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm all done getting my LORs but I feel like I have too many. I list them out so it paints a clearer picture.

1) Committee Letter/packet

• Letter from committee themselves
  • " " orgo professor (very close relationship, also did amazing in both semesters)
  • " " PI (not sure of the quality but I at least know it says good stuff)
  • " " program director from a non-profit which I've done long term volunteering for (in my committee interview the executive director told me its one of the best LORs shes read (I want to know what it says badly :) )

2) DO letter

3) Another Science professor (After taking 4 upper level bio classes from this man with only 4 students in the class this man knows me on a very personal level. I believe he knows my character and work ethic the best.)

4) Former supervisor (I'm a non-trad so most of my adult life has been in the workforce. He was my supervisor for 10+ years. I feel like its important to have some sort of LOR from this span of my life.)

I'm torn because IMO all of these letters have their purpose. #3 might sound pointless but this man is an academic role-model for me. Besides publishing an obscene amount of research at Stanford (he teaches at a small rural college) he is just a great man so I'd be honored to have a LOR from him. With that said though all my LORs come to a total of 7! I do feel that being a non-trad I have more years under my belt and with those years I need representation to show my worth. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm all done getting my LORs but I feel like I have too many. I list them out so it paints a clearer picture.

1) Committee Letter/packet

• Letter from committee themselves
  • " " orgo professor (very close relationship, also did amazing in both semesters)
  • " " PI (not sure of the quality but I at least know it says good stuff)
  • " " program director from a non-profit which I've done long term volunteering for (in my committee interview the executive director told me its one of the best LORs shes read (I want to know what it says badly :) )

2) DO letter

3) Another Science professor (After taking 4 upper level bio classes from this man with only 4 students in the class this man knows me on a very personal level. I believe he knows my character and work ethic the best.)

4) Former supervisor (I'm a non-trad so most of my adult life has been in the workforce. He was my supervisor for 10+ years. I feel like its important to have some sort of LOR from this span of my life.)

I'm torn because IMO all of these letters have their purpose. #3 might sound pointless but this man is an academic role-model for me. Besides publishing an obscene amount of research at Stanford (he teaches at a small rural college) he is just a great man so I'd be honored to have a LOR from him. With that said though all my LORs come to a total of 7! I do feel that being a non-trad I have more years under my belt and with those years I need representation to show my worth. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
7 is a good number, don't shed any of them.

I have 5, 2-sci professors, 1-DO, 1-MD, 1-CEO from my healthcare employer; there's no better way for your character to be praised than multiple letters all consistently demonstrating your integrity, just sayin' too many is a good thing, unless the school(s) you apply to limits submissions.