Too Many ODs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1. So...is there a conclusive report that confirms, "Yes, there are too many OD's".

No there is not a conclusive report. I would argue that there are too many ODs but that is solely my opinion. You can become successful in a saturated market but it is much more difficult than in an area with no existing ODs and a high demand.

2. What is the problem with working in places like Sears, Lenscrafters, Costco etc (those are the places that I know have an Eye Center...and I am not including Wal-Mart for my own reasons against it)? Basically, what are the pros (if any) and the cons on any level?

There is no problem working in a commercial practice. The negatives are predominatley related to people (managers/corporate types) having control over the type of care you can give and how much you can charge for your services. There are a lot of threads related to this. Do a search and enjoy reading the same thing over and over. :sleep:

3. Since I do not have any previous experience in Optometry (I’ve been working in the Radiology Department for the past 2 years) to what extent can OD's treat a patient? I know it's not just eye exams. Can they prescribe medication to their patients or it depends from state to state? (I’m in California) What about Lasik Surgeries. I know they cannot perform it, but what about to assist?

I'll leave this question for you to research out. Suffice it to say that we are not medical doctors. We can prescribe topical medications and some oral medications.

4. After you finish Opt. School, how fast can you get your license? How about continuing your education? Can you become an ophthalmologist afterwards or you have to go to Med School anyways?.

I'm glad you're asking these questions but it shows that you have a lot of research to do. You can usually get your license in a few months after graduation. It depends upon the state. To be an ophthalmologist you would need to go to med school.

5. Is it possible for an Optometrist to be on call or how often are the Emergency calls?

Some ODs are on call but are not called often.

xmattODx: Thank you for you quick reply. I am asking somebody that is in the profession so this is part of my reasearch. It is somewhat harder to go knock on Dr's doors to ask all these questions. Sometimes you could be dissapointed by the answers you get from them like i did last year when i went to my yearly eye exam at a new private office. The doctor (in his late sixties) was pretty rude to me and after asking him what he thinks about me pursuing Opometry he gave a short answer saying he's done with this profession and doesn't care what others do. Wow...that really encouraged me!
Thank you again for taking from your time to respond to my posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think ODs should always be overtrained. Being a on the lower rung on the ladder, ODs are a legislative profession and we must seek to expand our mode of practice by showing the public that we are trained in what we do. when we start cutting back on training, our profession will be stagnant with very little room to expand and people will start to try to take away our scope.

I signed up for OD school because i am content with the mode of practice i see now, but do i want to "future proof" my education in a sense? of course i want to be able to adapting changes in healthcare and that is why i feel that ODs should be overtrained

Read between the lines. This poster has no interest in optometry. Only to belittle the profession. I come from a family with a dental background, to say a dental hygienist earns close to 100K a year shows your insincerity and a tendency to boast.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post here is because I am puzzled after reading some of the posts in here saying that after school an optometrist gets paid $300-400/day!!!! I hope that was a mistake. Not that I am the "material girl" in here, but that's how much my sister is getting paid as a dental hygienist right after school.