too nice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pixychick2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of the doctors i was shadowing told me i was too nice to be a physician. at this point, what would you have said . . .

Members don't see this ad.

the entire time i was there i got the feeling he was a jerk, so i should have seen it coming, any suggestions for how not to be nice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe he thinks you're a nice kid, and he thinks that being a physician is not the same admirable job it used to be. So he was actually saying it to be nice. Kind of like "You're too nice to be involved in the crap that I am."

I'd reply with: "Yeah, well **** you," followed by flipping him off, telling him "how's that for flare," and quitting.

I'd tell him he's an idiot for telling you that.

one of the doctors i was shadowing told me i was too nice to be a physician. at this point, what would you have said . . .

Just say, "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" and keep on smiling. I have heard that comment too and it is meaningless.

"Well, I've got about a decade of schooling and residency ahead of me to stomp it out of me"

One of the doctors I was shadowing told me he ate mashed potatos for dinner the night before. How would you all have responded to that?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the doctors I shadowed told me "Don't smile so much." I have no idea what that meant, but I suppose it was said with the same attitude as your comment. It's probably something that just crossed his/her mind that was said without much thought. He/she definitely didn't think you'd put this much thought into it afterward.

thanks for your replies, guys. i was honestly kinda worried about it.

Next time someone tells you that you are too nice to do something just go into the pose like the kid in the red shirt did at 17 second mark in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjjOkqFBD28 (nothing sick or bizzare or anything like that)

Creamy or lumpy? Garlic or plain? Skins or no skins?

Hey, I'm from northeastern-PA, what can I say?
Oh man. Creamy garlic mash with skin.

God... what I would do for some right this second.

Terrible, unspeakable things...

I would've posted on SDN asking for witty comments, then set him up again by doing something nice and . . . BAM!

Maybe, just maybe, as a practicing physician he knows more about what it takes to be a doctor than we do. Impossible.

Creamy or lumpy? Garlic or plain? Skins or no skins?

Hey, I'm from northeastern-PA, what can I say?

'lumpy' is such a gross word.

Maybe, just maybe, as a practicing physician he knows more about what it takes to be a doctor than we do. Impossible.
Uh, sorry but this makes no sense. How would a practicing physician know more about being a doctor than the college student shadowing him? Please think before making posts in the future, thanks.

"Too nice? One of us has drowned our baby sister's hamsters in ice water, and a C-note says it isn't you."

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Is it even possible for a human being to make such a ridiculous comment

... "Now I'm going to go create a thread about this on SDN and have all the vastly experienced pre-meds tell me how much of a meanie you are"

I wouldnt even bother to reply. But if I had to say something, I would just say that I dont share the same opinion.

I would've posted on SDN asking for witty comments, then set him up again by doing something nice and . . . BAM!

uh . . . sorry to see you had to get your knickers in a twist thinking up the most sarcastic comment you could make. i was merely sharing a story, and obviously, i know the guy is smarter than me, but thanks for the clarification

Uh, sorry but this makes no sense. How would a practicing physician know more about being a doctor than the college student shadowing him? Please think before making posts in the future, thanks.

it takes more than sarcasm to be like dr. house, maybe you should spend more time studying and less time making stupid comments

it takes more than sarcasm to be like dr. house, maybe you should spend more time studying and less time making stupid comments

It sounds like you just need to be more like your usual self when you're around this physician.

Maybe he thinks you're a nice kid, and he thinks that being a physician is not the same admirable job it used to be. So he was actually saying it to be nice. Kind of like "You're too nice to be involved in the crap that I am."
This is what I would guess. Do you know him well? Is he a family friend? If not he probably should not have said it but I would guess he was saying it to be nice, especially if he is an older doctor. Medicine has changed alot.

:cry::cry::cry:

Actually, I take breaks from studying by making stupid/sarcastic comments.

It sounds like you just need to be more like your usual self when you're around this physician.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbup:

"You are too nice to be a physician."

"Not too worry, I plan to have my soul sucked out of me in the next 5 years, along with several hundred grand."

I'd just smile and say something to the effect of, "Well, you're entitled to your own opinion; everyone has a right to be wrong."

As far as continuing to be nice - do it. Nice doctors rule. Although, if you are interested in some specialties (surgery, for example), you do need to be fairly tough/controlling, but that doesn't mean you can't be nice, too. I know nice surgeons, but they are NOT laid-back people.

I'd just smile and say something to the effect of, "Well, you're entitled to your own opinion; everyone has a right to be wrong."

As far as continuing to be nice - do it. Nice doctors rule. Although, if you are interested in some specialties (surgery, for example), you do need to be fairly tough/controlling, but that doesn't mean you can't be nice, too. I know nice surgeons, but they are NOT laid-back people.

Actually even in surgery its a trend, not a rule. I know a couple surgeons who are just all around great people and incredibly nice, and about as laid back as most docs I know in other areas. They get their way in the OR by simply demanding respect by the way they carry themselves, instead of being a complete jackass.

I had a resident tell me that I was way too nice for emergency medicine and she could see me as a pediatrician. While I don't agree with her (I am a mean, mean person ;) ), I took what she said as a compliment and a critique of a field of medicine. If I were you, I would do the same. The doc was basically criticizing the healthcare profession and complimenting you. Besides, the only way to make healthcare more humane is to have nice people working in the field!

...alternatively, the doc might have been saying that you need to get a little tougher, but that will come with time and experience!

Actually even in surgery its a trend, not a rule. I know a couple surgeons who are just all around great people and incredibly nice, and about as laid back as most docs I know in other areas. They get their way in the OR by simply demanding respect by the way they carry themselves, instead of being a complete jackass.

Note, I said they could be nice, which implies they would not be complete Jack-A's. But I have never met a surgeon who just let things ride in their OR. They can demand respect by the way they carry themselves or by scaring the living daylights out of everyone else, but either way, they are always in control.

If you know surgeons who aren't control freaks, I wouldn't want them operating on me. I want anyone with their hands in my body cavity to be very much in control of the situation.

I also think most people predisposed to surgery (like myself) tend to be a little OCD, or rather to want to be in control and like a challenge. There are plenty of nice people like that, but I don't know any laid-back (Type B) people who like working in that kind of atmosphere, with those demands. it's simply counter-intuitive.

But perhaps you know the anomalies.

I've worked in the retail business for a very long time, and as a salesperson I always strive to be nice. But every now and again there is going to be a person that is going to try and SCREW you. Without fail there is a jackass waiting to take advantage of the system. Thats when being nice fails, and where having thick skin and the right mindset prevails.