Too stupid for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I am way too stupid for med school! What do I mean? I read too slow, I don't memorize fast enough, I don't retain enough, and I feel like I forget things too easily. In undergrad I had a ton of time to work, and ALL I did was study. I barely came out with a 3.5 GPA (granted it was Duke and an engineering double major, but I'm good at math). I don't know how I got a 31 on the MCAT (13P, 9V, 9B)...since I felt like I failed it and thought the bio passages had NOTHING to do with the freaking questions. Now, I'm trying to study BIOCHEM and ANATOMY and it's taking forever to get the stupid crap in my head. I have no freaking idea how I'm going to survive when I get to the fire-hydrant of info. You know near infinite volume + limited time. My brain can only tick so fast.

I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm not looking for sympathy. I really want to be a doctor, but I get pissed off because I feel WAY TOO FREAKING STUPID, SLOW, AND DEFICIENT in memorizing-capacity.

I've been accepted to med school, but I wonder if I'm actually going to be able to pass with a limited amount of time...I always had tons of time to study. Med school won't be like that. I will constantly be pressed.

Recommendations, anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do it. If you can handle engineering at Duke, you can handle medical school.

You're not currently taking medical school classes, right?

Don't freak out yet! Remember that these guys (the adcomms) exist to pick the right people to be in medical school. That doesn't always happen, but they generally seem to get it right.

I went thru a bit of the same thing as you are, during my first year of medical school. Just work hard, and see how things shake out. The gift of the exam curve is a beautiful thing.

Look back. You got a 3.5 at DUKE in ENGINEERING. You're gonna be okay.

I'm done stroking your ego. Stop "studying" ahead of time, and relax.

And good luck.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I am way too stupid for med school! What do I mean? I read too slow, I don't memorize fast enough, I don't retain enough, and I feel like I forget things too easily. In undergrad I had a ton of time to work, and ALL I did was study. I barely came out with a 3.5 GPA (granted it was Duke and an engineering double major, but I'm good at math). I don't know how I got a 31 on the MCAT (13P, 9V, 9B)...since I felt like I failed it and thought the bio passages had NOTHING to do with the freaking questions. Now, I'm trying to study BIOCHEM and ANATOMY and it's taking forever to get the stupid crap in my head. I have no freaking idea how I'm going to survive when I get to the fire-hydrant of info. You know near infinite volume + limited time. My brain can only tick so fast.

I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm not looking for sympathy. I really want to be a doctor, but I get pissed off because I feel WAY TOO FREAKING STUPID, SLOW, AND DEFICIENT in memorizing-capacity.

I've been accepted to med school, but I wonder if I'm actually going to be able to pass with a limited amount of time...I always had tons of time to study. Med school won't be like that. I will constantly be pressed.

Recommendations, anyone?

You're kidding right? You will be fine. I'm an engineer too. You'll need to learn some new study habits, but you will adapt and your memorization skills will improve. I only had a 3.3 GPA in my engineering coursework, and I've made all honors grades so far in medical school. I've attached a prescription for you below (hopefully it works)...

Attachments

• chill pill.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 697
Have you thought about dentistry or PA school? Those might be more your speed.

Have you thought about dentistry or PA school? Those might be more your speed.

Not at our house, man! My PA school friends are much smarter than me.

--Wizard, PA school reject and MS 1

Thanks for the comments and advice, everyone. I guess I'm just used to using as much time as I'm given when studying. In undergrad, that was a lot of extra time. In med school, I definitely won't have as much. I am fretting with the realization of this inevitable change (i.e. a decrease in available time). There is a certain amount of risk in everything though...so I will just have to do my best. If one studies all the time, as smart as one can, and does everything as well as one can...and still fails, what can one do, eh? So, I guess we all just have to go for it.

Man, it would be fun making a 4.0 with a 40+ MCAT with just a tad of studying. Lol, wait those were some of my Duke classmates...no wonder I get frustrated.

Relax, med school is probably easier than undergrad at Duke. In med school, they're trying to make sure you don't fail.

You could spend the time between now and med school reading up on memory and study techniques. Joyce Brothers had a book on improving memory that's actually rather useful, even though it's kind of hokey. (It was her first book, written right after the big quiz show win that made her famous). Oklahoma Notes published a now out-of-print guide on study skills for med students that you should be able to find used on Amazon.

If you keep shopping among the different study skills, you should find something that may work for you for a given class in med school. If nothing else, having new study techniques to try will give you a change of pace when you think you'll lose your mind if you make one more flash card.

Good luck!

Recommendations, anyone?
Many engineers on this board have had the same thing happen to them (search for "idiot savant engineer"). The trick is not understanding, which we get better than anyone, it's memorizing the details, which the bio majors have us in spades. You have to read and re-read your notes again and again - not because you don't understand it, but because you can't recite it verbatim. I only know when I'm done studying when I can recite things by rote. I get sick of the material long before this happens, but that's how you get it into your head.

Recommendations, anyone?

Im IN med school and I feel the same way. :(

Lets see here: 3.5 duke GPA and 31 MCAT...I think you can "displace" that brainpower of yours to med school.. c'mon don't kid yourself here!

ps. Biostatistics FTW

Thanks for the comments and advice, everyone. I guess I'm just used to using as much time as I'm given when studying. In undergrad, that was a lot of extra time. In med school, I definitely won't have as much. I am fretting with the realization of this inevitable change (i.e. a decrease in available time). There is a certain amount of risk in everything though...so I will just have to do my best. If one studies all the time, as smart as one can, and does everything as well as one can...and still fails, what can one do, eh? So, I guess we all just have to go for it.

Man, it would be fun making a 4.0 with a 40+ MCAT with just a tad of studying. Lol, wait those were some of my Duke classmates...no wonder I get frustrated.

i've always had to study way more than everyone else. this is in high school and in college. (i'm terrible at memorization and mildly dyslexic). but now that i'm a MS2 in med school, i'm doing ok. I'm certainly not at the top of my class (or honoring anything) but i'm average or somewhat above average in all my courses this year. you just need to hit the ground running and figure out how you learn most efficiently. for me that means reading the textbook, the class handouts, the classnotes and making piles and piles of flashcards and visual diagrams and doing lots of practice questions. i study more than my friends, but i'm doing ok. if you got into med school you are capable of the work and you will figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: I can totally sympathize with you. All I'm bringing to medical school is the sheer force of will to be a doctor and sometimes I wonder if that'll be enough.

You're slightly better off though ;) At least you're an engr! I'm a liberal arts major! :scared:

OP: I can totally sympathize with you. All I'm bringing to medical school is the sheer force of will to be a doctor and sometimes I wonder if that'll be enough.

You're slightly better off though ;) At least you're an engr! I'm a liberal arts major! :scared:

Wait don't you have a 40+ MCAT? :confused:

I agree, sounds like you're too stupid.

barely came out with a 3.5 GPA (granted it was Duke and an engineering double major, but I'm good at math). I don't know how I got a 31 on the MCAT (13P, 9V, 9B)

:rolleyes: oye vey...and not even in med school yet, i see a lot of venlafaxine in your future...

Recommendations, anyone?

If this makes you feel any better.... you are taking anatomy and biochem now and when you take it in med school, it will be the second time around-- that is a huge advantage over your classmates who have not seen it before.

Memorization is a skill. Let me be the first to say that I suck at it esp when there is no context to put the information in. So first year was a bear for me. Second year, however, I love because there is a context.

For those of us actually accustomed to original thought and not mindless regurgitation, the preclinical years are something to survive. But you can do it. P=MD!!! If you can process and synthesize information, I promise your second year will be much, much better and from what I have heard (but not yet experienced), the clinical years will be better as well.

Chin up!!

med school is not complictaed, you do your work and you are fine-the graduation rate is in the 90% or something. You may not be the top of the class but passing is absolutely a reasonable expectation.

a lot more ppl feel the way u do than some might lead u to believe. med school is HARD. I'm a third year now and i STILL feel like im not smart enough to be here...like somehow the adcoms had a slip in judgement when they accepted me or something. The first year is the hardest to adjust to...u slowly start to realize how ur life really isn't urs anymore...ur a slave to ur books and the anatomy lab. and even when u study really hard u might do poorly, especially if ur the type that is more adept at understanding, instead of memorizing endless details. year 2 is a bit better but still difficult. year three is a TOTALLY different ball game. its even harder, which is kind of hard to believe, but its hard in a different way.

its true, they do want u to pass, and they give people many chances to succeed...but it never comes easy. And there is something i absolutely hate...when people say stupid **** like "You have to try hard to fail." Thats BS. there are plenty of smart ppl in my class who have failed tests. of course they continue and then do fine...

in short, i know what ur feeling. and its a hard adjustment to make, going to med school... u do adjust eventually, but u will have to work hard constantly.

Sheer dumb luck.

oh come on man, sheer dumb luck might get you a 30, but def not a 40, i dont think any is that good of a guesser. people on this forum are either way too boastful or way too modest. just keep it real, you are very smart and should be successful in med school IFyou put in the work

and for the OP, same thing...if you go into school wth the attitude that you think youre going to fail, trust me YOU WILL...have some confidence in yoursef, and do yourself a favor and not get stressed out yet. youre not even in class yet! believe me, school will stress you out enough without you having to do it to yourself

You might need to adjust your study strategy in order to succeed. In med school, there isn't much time to spend studying each lecture. You will need to review lectures quickly and repetitively. Rest assured that the dean's office will be happy to provide you with resources to help you make the adjustment. Ask for help sooner than later. Don't wait to fail your first exam before getting help. Also, be willing to study in a distraction free environment (i.e. the library) and to put in long hours.

:luck:

Okay, let's get the thread back on topic. :idea:

Of course, you're not stupid. I'm sure you've heard the fire hydrant analogy, and this has been said several times on SDN: medical schol isn't diffcult; it's just tons of work. If you're worried that it takes you a lot of time to learn the material, don't wait until the last minute to study. Dedicate some time to study every day, and I'm sure you'll be fine. It's hard to describe study habits for medical school, b/c I've found that my study habits change with each course. Just be confident in yourself, be diligent, and I'm sure you'll be fine. :luck:

You probably are too stupid. I'm kidding. I swear to you that some of the kids in my class (top 10 med school) are borderline ******ed. I am not saying this to make you feel better, this is the reality. For a ton of different reasons (an entirely different forum discussion) there are a lot of academically subpar people in medical school. In the year below me we have a kid who had a 24 on the MCAT and ~3.3 undergrad gpa who got in and is making it. He speaks broken english and reads really slowly. Suck it up. You'll be fine.

I sometimes feel too stupid for med school b/c I find it hard, but that's ok. I'm not in med school for my ego, I am in it to be a doctor. And I think if you got into med school, then you know how to study and understand hard work. That's what you need to get through med school. Natural, inborn talent is helpful too, but not required for passing.

HI EVERYONE! Wow, I can't believe how many of you responded to my post! Thank you so much for all of your comments. I definitely value your opinions and advice. I think (like some of you pointed out) that there are a good number of MS0s that feel like this...I will definitely try to figure out study methods, get on top of studying, et cetera before school starts.

My work ethic is not lacking. I can work insanely hard...but the key will be getting as much quality and efficiency in that studying as possible. All of you speak of "what works for you." I guess I just wonder how almost all of you figure out this...one of you already suggested to experiment with learning techniques now, before school starts. I think I will.

Thanks again! Good luck to all of you in your future studies.

Sorry for these extra accidental posts...i can't delete them!

My work ethic is not lacking. I can work insanely hard...but the key will be getting as much quality and efficiency in that studying as possible.

Just to say one more thing to ease you mind: if you really can work insanely hard, you are 100% guaranteed to be fine in medical school, and probably much more than just fine. Medical school does not require constant, insane amounts of work. We all procrastinate, etc., more than you'd imagine. If you're the type that could actually make yourself work on very regular basis, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Besides, the material will be easy conceptually.

Recommendations, anyone?

I suspect that you will be fine. Medical school has a way of dragging you "along for the ride" and before you know it, you will instinctly memorize anything that is placed in front of you, the telly log, the menu at Applebee's, the phone numbers on the wall in the loo, etc.

What got you into medical school in the first place will keep you there. Medical school doesn't take brains just perseverance. "The last man standing wins the war". If you hung in there through undergraduate and managed to be successful with whatever, you can get through first and second year. Third and fourth year are more about learning the practical things that will make you a good physician rather than cramming your brain with factioids.

I think you will have a ball and the factioids are pretty interesting at times.

yeah. if you have serious memorization difficulties, you should definitely reconsider entering the medical profession. it's good that you've diagnosed your problems early on and know your weak areas. there will be many people faster than you, who will just get it, and to get by in this world you just have to come to peace with that. have you thought about the possibility that even with your 3.5 from Duke you might not quite cut it in the world of medicine? engineering is one thing, but dissecting a cadaver...whole different ball game, man.

but for real, you can't count on getting your ego stroked every time you go fishing for compliments. get over it and stop with the negative self-talk or you will run into some real problems later on. a self-deprecating overachiever is one thing i cannot stand--own up to your achievements and get over yourself!

it amazes me how hostile ppl are on these boards. why do u automatically assume that someone expressing doubt and worry is "fishing for compliments" and searching for "ego stroking"?? I think it's very mature and insightful to recognize these areas and it's normal to worry about it....sometimes talking about these things with ur peers helps put things in perspective and makes u realize ur not the only one feeling this way.

chill out people.

if you put in your hours, you will definitely be fine.
this is coming from a liberal arts major who did not work insanely hard yet is somehow still in med school, lol! :)

it amazes me how hostile ppl are on these boards. why do u automatically assume that someone expressing doubt and worry is "fishing for compliments" and searching for "ego stroking"?? I think it's very mature and insightful to recognize these areas and it's normal to worry about it....sometimes talking about these things with ur peers helps put things in perspective and makes u realize ur not the only one feeling this way.

chill out people.

well, i'm pretty sure the poster wanted people to say something along the lines of "you'll be fine". i just didn't feel like saying it ;-) if the poster is not looking for reassurance or sympathy, then why bother posting and airing out his/her insecurities?

chill out people.

blech, i am not being hostile--and BTW, telling someone to own up to their achievements is not hostile.
i'm replying because i know people like the poster--and even if you're flunking out (which i hope never happens) you never say you're stupid, no matter what. i'm just bothered that someone with a 31 on the MCAT (who already got in, i think) calls him/herself stupid and says they won't cut it in med school. it's not a cool way to go about things and if the mindset persists, people might just say "you know what? you ARE stupid". that's all. just my two cents,

blech, i am not being hostile--and BTW, telling someone to own up to their achievements is not hostile.
i'm replying because i know people like the poster--and even if you're flunking out (which i hope never happens) you never say you're stupid, no matter what. i'm just bothered that someone with a 31 on the MCAT (who already got in, i think) calls him/herself stupid and says they won't cut it in med school. it's not a cool way to go about things and if the mindset persists, people might just say "you know what? you ARE stupid". that's all. just my two cents,

md2010??? I can explain...

The other person is really right. I appreciate the fact that he/she just realizes that I am honestly wondering if I can make it. At the same time, I kind of realize that no one can tell me for sure if I will be able to...

Now, I know you think this is lame, but I don't put that much stock in my MCAT score. I got a 13 on the PS. That is how I got a 31. The other 2 sections were 9s. So, really, think of my MCAT as 27 since the PS isn't very important. And I know kids that got 25 on the MCAT that learn darn well and fast. So, I definitely don't think I have more of an affinity for learning et cetera than people with LOWER MCAT scores.

Part of my insecurity stems from poor time management skills (i.e. using way too much time to study) and also because I did engineering as an undergrad which is a DIFFERENT learning game and style.

Hope this clears stuff up.

And, once again, thank you everyone for your opinions and advice. IT is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

<--- 3.5 GPA double major in engineering(ECE & BME) @ Carnegie Mellon. 34 MCAT(13ps, 11 bio, 10 verbal). I too am having a pain in the ass time memorizing stuff in medical school. I realized that I have to do practice problems in order to help me remember things. Reading the textbook just because I should puts me to sleep in 5 minutes.

To OP: Hello fellow soon-to-be alum, I graduated 3.9 GPA at Duke Engineering (BME) and 33 MCAT (13 PS, 12 B, 8 V). Your post rings true, sounds like your learning style was like mine too. I went throught med school and it was hard, hard, work. I felt stupid many times. I spent a lot of time studying and was able to pass my classes (and even honor some), so you can too. One warning, if you're looking at a competitive field start studying for the boards from day 1...I'm a slow learner like you and need mental framework/structure/review sheets to maximize my test preparation...and the boards are soooo crazy in terms of breadth of material - I didn't give myself enough time (Only studied 2 months!! for several hours a day and scored crappily. I should have studied 2 years for that behemoth -- don't listen to anyone who tells you that it's easy or that you can study 1 month for it - you can't!!!).

Many engineers on this board have had the same thing happen to them (search for "idiot savant engineer"). The trick is not understanding, which we get better than anyone, it's memorizing the details, which the bio majors have us in spades. You have to read and re-read your notes again and again - not because you don't understand it, but because you can't recite it verbatim. I only know when I'm done studying when I can recite things by rote. I get sick of the material long before this happens, but that's how you get it into your head.

Hey, thank you. This was very helpful for me as an ME matriculating this fall. I got a 4.0 in my Post-Bacc but I found it oddly difficult to get perfect scores on my test even though I "understood" everything the teacher was trying to get me to understand. Those nit picky details got me every. damn. time.

Last edited:
There's a girl here who got pregnant just in time to give birth sometime around her step 1. You will be fine.

There's a girl here who got pregnant just in time to give birth sometime around her step 1. You will be fine.

Hey cool guy, joke's on us. 2006 thread, I just caught it too.

You'll be fine. It's not as bad as people make it out to be if you stay on top of your work. And even if you fall behind, you'll eventually learn how to manage. Everything has a learning curve, and once you get through the curve, you can look back at your past and laugh at how hard you thought undergrad was.

I'm 20+ lectures behind and I have an exam on Monday. I ain't even phased.

Hey, thank you. This was very helpful for me as an ME matriculating this fall. I got a 4.0 in my Post-Bacc but I found it oddly difficult to get perfect scores on my test even though I "understood" everything the teacher was trying to get me to understand. Those nit picky details got me every. damn. time.

6 year necro bump man.... why you do dis?

Just lurked through his previous postings. Dude ended up getting a 255 step 1 and 253 step 2. Not bad :/