TOOK 2 YEARS OFF, STARTING PHARMACY SCHOOL FALL 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharmd1984

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Im kinda worried because between my undergrad and start of pharm school I had almost a 2 year break. I am worried I forgot EVERYTHING in my sciences and maths. My first semester is Biochem and I barely got thru Mechanisms in Orgo, it was the worst! Please dont be harsh, I just need honest opinions without being rude. I get told by most my friends that there is little to no orgo in pharm school but I forgot a lot of stuff so Im wondering if I should dust off the old chem books.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Been 5 years since I did my undergraduate courses and Biochemistry Research in preserving protein structures under ideal ph buffer levels.

If you can memorize, you’ll be fine. It’ll flood back what you need to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo wise, you'll be fine.

Job market wise, not so much since it got much worse and will only continue its nosedive as the pharmacy cuts and waves of new grads continue to be unleashed upon us each year.

Reactions: 2 users
Orgo wise, you'll be fine.

Job market wise, not so much since it got much worse and will only continue its nosedive as the pharmacy cuts and waves of new grads continue to be unleashed upon us each year.

But I shine bro. I did all the clubs and all the orgs. I got all the grades and made friends with all the connections. I’m special. Jobs will rain on me when I graduate. I shine bro.

Reactions: 1 users
Snowflake Syndrome.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd take some time and refresh yourself on nomenclature (especially the various N compounds and aromatics) and pronunciation. Even if you know your stuff, consistently pronouncing drug names wrong makes everyone wary of you.

The one piece of advice I give all students is rhat they should review their cursory Anatomy and Physiology material (especially Physiology) as it comes back to haunt you.

Hey Guys
Im kinda worried because between my undergrad and start of pharm school I had almost a 2 year break. I am worried I forgot EVERYTHING in my sciences and maths. My first semester is Biochem and I barely got thru Mechanisms in Orgo, it was the worst! Please dont be harsh, I just need honest opinions without being rude. I get told by most my friends that there is little to no orgo in pharm school but I forgot a lot of stuff so Im wondering if I should dust off the old chem books.
Thanks!
No need to worry— you don’t need to know science, just how to read the label off a bottle or do a google search. You also don’t need to know math—only how to count by 5’s. You’re making out pharmacy school/becoming a pharmacist to be much harder than it actually is.

No need to worry— you don’t need to know science, just how to read the label off a bottle or do a google search. You also don’t need to know math—only how to count by 5’s. You’re making out pharmacy school/becoming a pharmacist to be much harder than it actually is.
This response is a bit negative and please i beg you not to spread it to the public like so. We have enough disrespect from every other field, and its hard enough to validate our role as it is to everyone else. Please help our profession. There is so much more to pharmacy than what you mention.

To the OP, learn and keep learning. Pharmacy fields has new innovations so often that you must keep up even after school. Learn and apply versus memorize is my tip to you. Goodluck!