umbrellalalala

7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

I took my intro psych class back in 2007. Eight years later, I'm sad to say my retention for that class is basically non-existent. I would like to retake it in part to prepare for the MCAT and because it is a pre-requisite for the research methods in psych class. Technically, I can take the research methods class since I have taken an intro to psych class in the past, but I'm not sure how useful it would be if I don't remember anything from my first psych class. Also, I'm not sure if retaking it would be advisable, especially because I got an A the first time. I hear medical schools recommend against retaking classes unless you receive a grade below a C (is this true?) Thoughts?

Apollo1

Deciding between MD/DO and PA
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I hear medical schools recommend against retaking classes unless you receive a grade below a C (is this true?)
MD schools will average out all attempts for a particular course; DO schools do grade replacement, but you already have the highest GPA grade/value. I think it's best to not retake the course. Try one of the online multi-subject sites (ex. Kahn Academy) to freshen up, or find a student on campus who will give you a copy of their notes.

LingoLaine

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Colorado
Status
Attending Physician
I would just go ahead and take the research methods class. Just budget yourself enough time to refresh your memory if/when intro to psych material becomes relevant.

futuremdforme

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
Status
Non-Student
How easily did you learn psych when you first took it? If it was at all easy, you should be just fine taking research methods directly even after a gap.

OP
U

umbrellalalala

7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I appreciate all the responses! I could probably sit in the class for few weeks before it gets in the way of my other classes. I'll still consider it, though.

The first time I took psych, I remember it came fairly easily. I don't remember struggling at all.

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
DFW/Houston
Status
Medical Student
Many people successfully demolished the psych/socio section with the study books available. I don't want to see you wasting a whole semester of studying for a subject you can probably self study. I was in your position, but I decided to self-study with review books and it's coming along well. The materials in the review book are very digestible.

Reactions: Snakes and xffan624