Took TN MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacist912016

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the TN MPJE yesterday. Very depressed, had a terrible experience. I want to share w everyone mistakes I made/ what I wish I did differently.

I have been a pharmacist for 2 years, never educated or practiced in Tennessee before. Decided to teach myself. What I did:

-MPJE study book
-read 1140 (this is what the TNBOP recommends you study...not good advice)
-read various statutes from TN gov website

However, 1140 was hardly covered. A lot of scenarios regarding refills, partial fills, and OTC codeine cough syrup. There were a TON of questions regarding someone being out of state. I thought the TN law and my study book provided very little information to prepare me for those questions.

Also a lot of questions on mail order, again mailing meds to out of state patients or mail order pharmacies out of TN mailing to your pharmacy or to a patient.

Other topics I wish I had studied for: memorize all the examples of DUR and which ones are prospective/ retrospective, all the responsibilities of techs/ what techs can not do. KNOW EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON A SCRIPT. I only studied what goes on a label and info to be kept on record. didnt know what specifically has to be on script. I guessed on so many.

I know I failed. Do not see how I can pass this. I was always deciding between two different answers. When I take it the second time I can post on here my experience. I hope this post was helpful to someone. Wish everyone luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Every single person left this test, was 100% sure that he/she failed! I have not taken mine yet but I'm trying to say stay optimistic!!! Great luck to u!

Reactions: 1 user
I passed! I almost did not make it but I somehow managed. I still hope what I posted helps ppl in the future. Good luck to everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After reading your post and reading through 1140, which is the only thing they tell you to study... you are correct. None of that stuff is anywhere in 1140. All it says is, "Name and title" for pharmacy tech name tags. Doesn't specify first or last. Also doesn't say a word about what an intern can do. Also doesn't talk anything about what to do for out of state residents or out of state prescribers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this post! Do you mind going into more detail? Can you describe some of the scenarios you got on the exam?
What were the areas of focus on the exam?
What were the main things touched on for federal law?
Did you study the statutes or did you use “Pharmacy Law Simplified”? Did those help?

Sorry for all the questions..exam’s in a couple of days..freaking out..Thanks again!

Thank you for this post! Do you mind going into more detail? Can you describe some of the scenarios you got on the exam?
What were the areas of focus on the exam?
What were the main things touched on for federal law?
Did you study the statutes or did you use “Pharmacy Law Simplified”? Did those help?

Sorry for all the questions..exam’s in a couple of days..freaking out..Thanks again!
Mine is today. I've tried searching for certain things the OP listed and I can't even find them when looking for them. Ridiculous!

According to this website i found which i cannot link to,, TN requires all controlled medications to be reported to CSMP even when filling drugs out of state. All out of state pharmacies dispensing to in state pharmacies must comply with existing state regs, appoint a pharmacist available 24/7 to answer questions patients may have and comply with state laws, and receive a permit to operate within the state. There are no exceptions for doing business as an out of state pharmacy in TN. This includes daily reporting of controlled RXs dispensed. Also, depending on the state, the same rules apply to operating outsde of TN borders, in that you can mail drugs to a patient. There do not seem to be special requirements by TN for shipping drugs out of state, the only thing I know is that in LTCFs there are federal requirements about shipping controlled substances, usually that we have to recieve a signature that an authorized person received the drug in the state we sent it in. This follows the rule of the DEA being a CLOSED SYSTEM, so anytime the drug leaves someone with a DEA number, there must be a record to track its movements from entity to entity.

There are ten points included in what must be on a RX to be valid, not including that it be on tamper resistant paper,

1. PAtients full name (this differs from record keeping which requires address and phone as well)
2. Presribers full name and address, DEA for controlled and phone #, and Signature
3. DOB
4. Gender
5. Drug name
6. Drug formulation
7. Drug Strength
8. Amount to be dispensed
9. Directions
10. Date written

Dur prospective reviews must be conducted per OBRA for medicaid patients. This happens BEFORE meds are dispensed. The key difference in my mind is that a prospective review is conducted to determine wether this medication is safe to dispense AT ALL, whereas retrospective reviews are conducted to maintain safety, remove unnecessary meds, duplications, contraindications, therapeutic efficacy, and imply the pharmacist will take appropriate action for correcting these points.

Interns can do everything a pharmacist can do, under supervision of the pharmacist.

The biggest thing I can say that techs differ is techs can only offer counseling and not provide, and they CAN participate in the repackaging of drugs.

Also as far as refills and storage goes, Remember the requirements for dispensing of refills are than a pharmacist initials, dates, and amount dispensed, otherwise assumed to be full quantity if recording information BY HAND, not on the automated data system, (ie Walgreens) Keep all records for 2 years, with TN defining "readily retrievable" as 48 hours from request. Remember, emergency filled prescriptions authorized for narcotics must have a hard copy POSTMARKED in 7 days from prescriber. LTCF are able to substitute fascimile (electronic) copies for hard copy in there situations. Also, partial fills on narcotics are valid for terminally ill hospice patients for 60 days, as opposed to the 72 hours. Thats a weird one.

Another good question I could foresee is wether or not LTCF or institutions need to abide by the same labeling requirements as community, Whereas the answer is no. Biggest point is that they do not need to physically print a serial number on the label. Another good point would be that LTCFs and Institutions do need to follow the dispensing label requirements of repackaged drugs, as all of their drugs are repacked, so lot, NDC, manufacturer apply. You WOULD NOT need this information on a prescription label in community. It is often included however.