Top 10 Clinical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't have your own chair and are not treating patients 5days/week 6hrs/day, then you are not at a good clinical school :D :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Temple is an excellent clinically oriented program from what I saw at the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
so far, not a single school's said they were not a strong clinical school. Of course, a few schools have said that more times than others. Makes you wonder if there's much merit behind what they say.

so if you think a certain school's strong clincially, what were the exact motivations for your thoughts?... was it because a school official told you that many times over? Or did you carefully assess the performance of their students? (of course, it's hard to assess the students' quality when you yourself know nothing.)

so maybe the schools that are strong clinically are just better at advertising themselves as being strong clinically

If you don't have your own chair and are not treating patients 5days/week 6hrs/day, then you are not at a good clinical school :D :banana:

Case?

so maybe the schools that are strong clinically are just better at advertising themselves as being strong clinically

In my experience there are definitely ways a school can be clinically focused. For example, at Pacific pre-clinical and clinical grades count for much, much more in you overall GPA and class ranking then didactics, and the pre-clinical faculty expect much more than the didactic faculty do.

I don't have much experience in the actual clinics, but from what I've heard from upperclassmen the atmosphere there is very similar.

That being said, who really knows how much that actually matters? I'm a big believer that the student decides what they want out of their school, and perhaps "clinical schools" are just populated with students who are motivated to do general dentistry?

:D:D Just a quote from my friend at Buffalo dental school . Yeah... we do have our own operatory here at Case and seeing pts 5 days/week in clinic ;);) .. and having opportunity to do thousand of surgical extractions and many many molar root canal therapies at The Free Clinic of Cleveland couple blocks away.

:D:D Just a quote from my friend at Buffalo dental school . Yeah... we do have our own operatory here at Case and seeing pts 5 days/week in clinic ;);) .. and having opportunity to do thousand of surgical extractions and many many molar root canal therapies at The Free Clinic of Cleveland couple blocks away.

Seems a bit far fetched, it's great that you have the opportunity to gain experience with surgical extractions, but thousands?? Come on, there are OMFS residents who don't do that many. That is 3 a day for a year (if you are in clinic 7 days a week/ 365 days)!!

Seems a bit far fetched, it's great that you have the opportunity to gain experience with surgical extractions, but thousands?? Come on, there are OMFS residents who don't do that many. That is 3 a day for a year (if you are in clinic 7 days a week/ 365 days)!!

Few of us started in the first semester of second year. An average of 3-5/evening is a norm. I've been doing that for more than 2 yrs already. :):) We also have an opportunity of drawing blood and performing blood and urine tests on the medical side of the free clinic. :thumbup::thumbup:

Few of us started in the first semester of second year. An average of 3-5/evening is a norm. I've been doing that for more than 2 yrs already. :):) We also have an opportunity of drawing blood and performing blood and urine tests on the medical side of the free clinic. :thumbup::thumbup:

With all those surgical extractions how do you have time for C&B, operative, perio, anything else?

Temple students do over 144,000 procedures a year. Hard to beat that.

Ya, of course 125,000 of them are probably extractions.

Don't forget people.. You want to go to a school that has a large enough private pay vs medicaid population. It's great that you have a 100 people on your roster but when you cant fulfil your req's on them because medicaid won't pay for it -- what's the point?

With all those surgical extractions how do you have time for C&B, operative, perio, anything else?

Time management, my friend. Doing minimal lab and having own secretary have made our life much better. :D:D

does anyone know how unlv ranks clinically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Intesting discussion. What about Nova?!

Any input on a couple of the midwest schools? Nebraska? Minnesota? Iowa? Thanks

It's impossible to construct an accurate list like that. Has anybody here experienced the clinical environments of all 55 US Dental schools and the 10 Canadian schools?

UNLV should probably be in there too, there's no grad programs save an ortho residency and if I remember correctly you start assisting in the clinic as a D1

Oh and Pacific :)

UNLV students suffer because there are other specialty programs including endodontics and pediatrics. Plan on only doing 4 root canals in you're gonna be a Rebel. Ughh.

Gotta throw some love at UoP and Tufts for clinical.

Reo, with the power invested in my by the SDN gods, I hereby proclaim you the "Official Dental Forum Thread Necromancer"

thread_necromancer.png

Ya, of course 125,000 of them are probably extractions.

There are not many Temple students in the clinic who are having trouble meeting the diverse set of clinical requirements.

I'm a bit older than some of you here and I have some old school magic cards worth a lot from my middle school days (antiquities, beta, unlimited, arabian nights, etc.). Anyone wanna buy the collection?

I'm a bit older than some of you here and I have some old school magic cards worth a lot from my middle school days (antiquities, beta, unlimited, arabian nights, etc.). Anyone wanna buy the collection?

Ebay works wonders for that. :thumbup:

And Armor is dead on! In all my years here, I have never seen so many old threads bumped. Every time I see a new one, I start scrolling down and know exactly who I am going to find. Sometimes the thread is still relevant, but questions/comments made directly to the OP from 5 years ago are not going to get a response.

Armor, it's an honor to accept the title :banana:

The general consensus in the dental community is that UoP is the top clinical school.

Armor, it's an honor to accept the title :banana:

Nice! Way to incorporate that into your user title. Now it's official :thumbup:

The general consensus in the dental community is that UoP is the top clinical school.

I can't argue with that. I'd say it's the general consensus in SDN community too.

Nice! Way to incorporate that into your user title. Now it's official :thumbup:

I can't argue with that. I'd say it's the general consensus in SDN community too.

I don't know, it seems like Creighton does even more than we do. It's only downfall is that it's in Nebraska instead of San Francisco.

Take a look at their curriculum and you'll see they don't cut out anything, they just cram 4 years into 3 by cutting out breaks and having night clinics. The students are actually in the clinic for MORE hours then the national average.

Also they start in the clinic second year, giving students 2 years in the clinic, just like every other school.

For some reason few people post comments about OU. Well, in terms of clinical background one can expect:

crowns - 20-22
root canals - 17-18
restorative & extractions - 100+

Not bad at all, considering the national averages are in the single digits...

I agree on USC we are required to do so much in clinic and we get into clinic early on. People can complain about the PBL but clinically we are very well trained compatent dentists. And who else does a maxiallary reverxe 3/4 crown with provisional for there first crown prep exam. :eek: