Top 20 Waitlists Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilgrampirate86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes I've lived away from home for the past 5 years and it has been totally fine. Everyone I've met and became close with in college has moved to NY though (which is also where my family is)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, that's where I wanted SDNs advice. Possibly, fewer academic and mentoring opportunities? This is where I wanted SDN advice, since seems like a good amount of people on here go for the highest "ranked" school
What about your career are you giving up to go to Einstein?

It is absolutely possible to get in without LOI. You don't need to send anything, you can ride the waitlists and see what happens - you interviewed and earned that right. If you feel strongly about a school you are on waitlist for, send a letter of intent. If you feel strongly about multiple schools, send letter of interests to the others along with that. There's no saying if doing so will help, but in my experience it's better to do so than not, just to avoid any regret you may have later on if the waitlists don't manifest as an acceptance.

Waitlist means wait. It’s not true that you need to send letters promising your soul/virginity/first born child to come off a waitlist. You’re in a great position to stay in the city you want to be in, I literally don’t understand what the problem is other than that you think Einstein isn’t good enough for your aspirations.

“Harder to get involved with academic project” is COMPLETELY UNTRUE as a med student at einstein. Many students actually attain HHMI fellowships (insanely competitive) for research gap years. It’s also pretty easy to get published in clinical research with physicians at Montefiore. It is actually one of the three oldest MD/PhD program funded by the NIH MSTP grant, so that should tell you something about their opportunities for research.

I would recommend sending a LOI to your top choice and wait it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Einstein:

Pros:
Close to home, family, friends
Doctor friends say you receive an excellent clinical training

Cons:
Not as highly ranked, giving up too much with my career, just to be close to home?
Administration and medical school programs appear to be lacking significantly
Harder to get involved in academic projects

??? Are you joking? Their global program is probably #1 in the country. It's so easy to get research and hop on academic projects. The administration was probably the best as well--willingly allow you to take your time, never charging you more if you spend more time in medical school, etc.

??? Are you joking? Their global program is probably #1 in the country. It's so easy to get research and hop on academic projects. The administration was probably the best as well--willingly allow you to take your time, never charging you more if you spend more time in medical school, etc.
UHHH I wouldn’t go as far as saying they have #1 global program... but I think OP got the point that it’s a top notch research school