Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got to a "not important" (i.e. who even knows what number it's ranked) private university and my thermodynamics professor was a PhD from MIT. We found out by the 3rd lecture that he was giving lectures IDENTICAL to the MIT videos. We're a quarter system school and finished all of the same content taught at MIT during their 36 lectures. I'll admit our class' distribution was probably far worse than MIT's, but the best of our class didn't need the inevitable curve. Obviously this isn't a systematic review of rigor, but I don't doubt for a second that the best students at many institutions would be able to succeed while not complaining about their GPA had they attended a top30.P.S.S. I recall comparing the tests for several of my classes with those on MIT open courseware, way back when taking those classes, and not noticing significant differences in rigor. I feel that this supposed difference in rigor is grossly exaggerated.
, here's my final $0.02. OP makes a valid argument and it is generally known to be true that rigor varies substantially among undergrads. I don't think that a 3.2 from a top school necessarily makes an adcom judge you as incapable of handling med school, but when compared with a 3.7 from a state school (ceteris paribus, especially with respect to MCAT), the adcom faces the dilemma of giving the 3.2 applicant the benefit of the doubt based on considerably intangible and not readily quantifiable criteria (selection of classes, difficulty of certain professors, etc.). The sad truth for OP and for many in OP's predicament is that med school admissions is simply not about giving one a leg up; they'd rather you spend an extra year or two solidifying and showcasing your credentials in a PB program than offer you the seat of someone with substantially higher GPA, even though the latter may or may not be as capable as you. While OP is entitled (see what I did there?) to being frustrated at such unfairness, all is not lost since they will probably crush PB and go on to get an MD degree nevertheless. In the end, these extra 1.5 years won't be a huge setback. Best of luck, OP.