Top Front End Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys i have a problem with C. i think it should be A.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• PAT.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 258
k after staring at it for a good 5 minutes i think i figured it out - and this is a very,very,very,very,very,very mean question

C and A both give the same top view, the reason C is the answer is because... well look at the front views.

you see the bottom dashed line in C, how it's dashed all the way across? well in A it's only dashed through the middle part and on either side of that it's a solid line. I'm talking about the line about 1/3 of the way up that signifies the big hole going through the back of the object. let me know if this isnt clear and i'll draw a picture

if u dont mind can u walk me through this one.....like how do u know that the top view u can eliminate d e and f? also what do those dash lines you are referring on the front line indicate on the top?

Members don't see this ad :)
guys i have a problem with C. i think it should be A.

Ok so the top views for A and C are similar however as sama said in A the line is not broken all the way through as in C but it has to be broken all the way through since we can not see the concealed line. As far as pistolpete's question, the dashed lines are refering to the rectangular hollow space in the back piece as you can see in the end view to the right. As far as why its not D, if you look at the top view you can see that there are two broken lines running vertically (not the horizontal ones). In D, its a square so all lines are aligned so you can not see any broken lines in D. You can not tell if its a circle or square from the top or side view since these are projections, however the broken lines all the way through in C show that it is correct and thus must be a circle and not the only other viable option which is A. Hope that helped. :) I took technical drawing in high school so these are a cinch for me. ask me any further questions.

wow that makes a lot of sense.... so if those two dashed verticle lines wernt there on top view then u can say it wwould be D right.....also can u explain why B isnt a viable answer either/

wow that makes a lot of sense.... so if those two dashed verticle lines wernt there on top view then u can say it wwould be D right.....also can u explain why B isnt a viable answer either/

The reason that B is incorrect is because from the top view, the narrow part of the structure is hidden (dashed lines) and the wider part is solid. That means that if it was to be the same shape as B, it would be tapered to where the widest part would be higher and the narrower part would be lower. So if B were correct, then in the top view, all four of those lines (the two solid and two dashed) would all be solid because you would be able to see the narrow part, as well as the wider base from the top perspective. But since the narrow part is hidden, it cant be narrower on top.

That was a lot of confusing wording, but it's also 3:45 in the morning. Hope it makes sense anyway...lol ;)

*pulling up question again*:smuggrin:

So the answer to your first question is yes, D would be the correct answer had those two broken lines (vertical) not being there on the top view. As for why B is not a viable answer. If you look at the top view again you see that the two vertical broken lines show that the piece below the surface is smaller in diameter to the one on top otherwise we would not see the broken lines at all. Right! So in B, the smaller diameter is on the top and not the bottom so thus in the top view we would not have any broken vertical lines but 4 solid lines. Hope that makes sense. :thumbup:

Shoot anymore questions! I'm Up!!

So C is the answer and the circle is not complete spherical right? like you have an orange and cut 1 side off?

Basically. But not a semicircle, kinda like cutting a small piece off foe the base.

woow. this is bad. but you are right. i see it now. i mean when you are doing this things you are checking for so many things that some stuff just slips by.
k after staring at it for a good 5 minutes i think i figured it out - and this is a very,very,very,very,very,very mean question

C and A both give the same top view, the reason C is the answer is because... well look at the front views.

you see the bottom dashed line in C, how it's dashed all the way across? well in A it's only dashed through the middle part and on either side of that it's a solid line. I'm talking about the line about 1/3 of the way up that signifies the big hole going through the back of the object. let me know if this isnt clear and i'll draw a picture

attachment.php

Difference is between dotted line in A and straight line in B, I can see how you got suckered into that one!

Im telling you... they made this sooohard but after 5 minutes I see it. Choice C is the only one that will have 3 lines in the middle because of that structure. Look at it and youll see just keep staring. Wow so frequing hard!