You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Top High Schools in America
Started by LADoc00
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
because Im bored.
Which high schools have produced the most dermatopathologists? Those would be at the top of my list.
B
b&ierstiefel
because Im bored.
LADoc00...I noticed that you voted for TJ. I have to say that I have tremendous respect for TJ considering that I went to an intellectually rival high school. Those TJ kids are of a different class.
I remember competing against them in Math team and It's Academic...they beat us every single time. It was frustrating cuz we were considered the "other" science and technology high school in the area (and no, I didn't go to Blair).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LADoc00...I noticed that you voted for TJ. I have to say that I have tremendous respect for TJ considering that I went to an intellectually rival high school. Those TJ kids are of a different class.
I remember competing against them in Math team and It's Academic...they beat us every single time. It was frustrating cuz we were considered the "other" science and technology high school in the area (and no, I didn't go to Blair).
I voted for TJ purely on the badass factor of putting up a MEAN SAT of 1478. That is insane. Almost an equivalent of a high school of nothing but Cal Tech and MIT students.
Yeah, but look at average net worth of Andover grads. 😉 At least before the last 10 years when they started giving out scholarships.
at Groton
at GrotonMy white trash roots are showing...haven't heard of most of these places except for Phillips Academy Andover and Exeter...and those are only because they are in John Irving novels. Interesting that many of the people here attended these places...I am so out of my league.
Well, it's a little lame, but i have to vote for my alma mater, PEA.
Although I hated it when I was there, I have to admit I learned a lot.
Same here in regards to Andover. If I had to do it again I wouldn't and would have gone to my public school which is a good school. Socially, it was the worst time in my life and I'm probably lucky I didn't come out suicidal. The academic work load was fine - it was actually my saving grace because it was intellectually satisfying and while a lot of work, very interesting. Socially, the school is full of a bunch of dumb **** overprivileged snots, people who think the world owes them everything because they are smart, and people with chips on their shoulder who are there on scholarship. A small percentage were decent people, but I didn't live there so I didn't make any close friends. Yet I consider myself lucky not to have lived there, because I could hang out with my normal friends and do normal things.
Same here in regards to Andover. If I had to do it again I wouldn't and would have gone to my public school which is a good school. Socially, it was the worst time in my life and I'm probably lucky I didn't come out suicidal. The academic work load was fine - it was actually my saving grace because it was intellectually satisfying and while a lot of work, very interesting. Socially, the school is full of a bunch of dumb **** overprivileged snots, people who think the world owes them everything because they are smart, and people with chips on their shoulder who are there on scholarship. A small percentage were decent people, but I didn't live there so I didn't make any close friends. Yet I consider myself lucky not to have lived there, because I could hang out with my normal friends and do normal things.
I think the biggest negative about Andover and Exeter as well other such places like Groton is the incredible amount of drug use, especially cocaine. Not that there isnt cola at the local high, hell there is, but the $$$ flow some of these kids throw around makes the stuff almost fall like mana from heaven. The same could be said of places like Newport Beach, Malibu and Palos Verdes High in Southern California.
Yeah - there were a couple of kids I got to know during orientation that 1-2 years later were strung out and had left the place. And I spent an entire math class one semester trying to avoid sitting near this kid who smelled like a combination of ass and pot, which was hard to do because he always showed up late and seemed to sit near me.
Which high schools have produced the most dermatopathologists? Those would be at the top of my list.
Which one did you go to, so I don't vote for it.
B
b&ierstiefel
Which one did you go to, so I don't vote for it.![]()
Damn dude...let go of the hatred

I assume this is the Thomas Jefferson up in Fairfax? I don't know a lot about the other schools, but I am certainly familiar with TJ. They send several hundred students to UVA each year, so I've known quite a few of them. Heck, two of my four co-interns are TJ alums.
Of course, I guess if you get to select the top students from one of the richest areas in America, you're going to churn out quality alumni.
Of course, I guess if you get to select the top students from one of the richest areas in America, you're going to churn out quality alumni.
Damn dude...let go of the hatred![]()
![]()
No... Someone told me it makes me stronger... 😉
Seriously, does everything have to be dermpath? Not the HS that has the most Noble prizes or poet laureates, but most dermpaths?
We get it you think Derm path is the Alpha the omega, life the universe and everything.. it is Dermpath.
You love dermpath, we get it.
Wait does Weedon have 42 chapters?
😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B
b&ierstiefel
It boggles me too man. Me and a few colleagues were having this very discussion as to why dermpath is so hot and why it seems so many path residents go into residency preaching their interest in dermpath from day 1. It's kind of a rhetorical question though...No... Someone told me it makes me stronger... 😉
Seriously, does everything have to be dermpath? Not the HS that has the most Noble prizes or poet laureates, but most dermpaths?
We get it you think Derm path is the Alpha the omega, life the universe and everything.. it is Dermpath.
You love dermpath, we get it.
Wait does Weedon have 42 chapters?
😱
B
b&ierstiefel
I assume this is the Thomas Jefferson up in Fairfax? I don't know a lot about the other schools, but I am certainly familiar with TJ. They send several hundred students to UVA each year, so I've known quite a few of them. Heck, two of my four co-interns are TJ alums.
Of course, I guess if you get to select the top students from one of the richest areas in America, you're going to churn out quality alumni.
Yes...this is TJ in northern VA. Apparently you have to be all smart and **** to go there since they have an entrance exam.
It boggles me too man. Me and a few colleagues were having this very discussion as to why dermpath is so hot and why it seems so many path residents go into residency preaching their interest in dermpath from day 1. It's kind of a rhetorical question though...
Dermpath is the Orthopedic surgery of pathology.
The best and brightest (they think) apply for this competitive field.
Then they get in, and after a year they take them in a room, and BEAT all the knowledge out of them. Othros use a 2x4, I assume Dermpath uses...
glass slides weighted down with hundreds of levels of AK bxs.
Ha, I'm just kidding Orthopods are all right!
The thing is, dermpath is very interesting, it's just that because so many people talk themselves into it for non path related reasons it becomes annoying. I am not convinced AT ALL when someone who hasn't done much residency training yet says they know they want to go into dermpath. Why? Because skin is interesting? Maybe I'm different, but I would think you would want to explore different areas and actually work on the service for a few weeks before you knew at all whether you had any interest. It bugs me. You shouldn't have to declare interest in something before you've even done it. Med school labs don't count.
B
b&ierstiefel
Exactly! I can understand if you've been exposed to dermpath and other fields before declaring an interest in dermpath. That goes for any field too. A few of my classmates might be interested in dermpath (probably 1 or 2 for sure) but see...their interest in this subspecialty appears more justified or concrete whatever their motivations may be.The thing is, dermpath is very interesting, it's just that because so many people talk themselves into it for non path related reasons it becomes annoying. I am not convinced AT ALL when someone who hasn't done much residency training yet says they know they want to go into dermpath. Why? Because skin is interesting? Maybe I'm different, but I would think you would want to explore different areas and actually work on the service for a few weeks before you knew at all whether you had any interest. It bugs me. You shouldn't have to declare interest in something before you've even done it. Med school labs don't count.
Now, the whole declaring interest thing early probably reflects the feeling that one needs to "reserve" a spot for a fellowship during the year he/she wants to do it. I guess that's fine but feeling pressured to make a quick/hasty decision isn't cool.
Exactly! I can understand if you've been exposed to dermpath and other fields before declaring an interest in dermpath. That goes for any field too. A few of my classmates might be interested in dermpath (probably 1 or 2 for sure) but see...their interest in this subspecialty appears more justified or concrete whatever their motivations may be.
Now, the whole declaring interest thing early probably reflects the feeling that one needs to "reserve" a spot for a fellowship during the year he/she wants to do it. I guess that's fine but feeling pressured to make a quick/hasty decision isn't cool.
But the problem is, you never know. Because those who come into residency convinced it was the be all end all of existence will naturally focus on the dermpath rotation and "love it." I just hate the fact that medicine has become so weirdly competitive where people who play games are favored. It makes sense, I guess, because those making decisions can't really tell the serious from the wishful thinkers, and people who play the game look better on paper. I don't know - sometimes I think it's not all as bad as I make it out to be - when I talk to people here who run various fellowships, they seem to focus more on the person than the resume. The resume can have importance, but their decisions are ultimately made on what kind of doctor the person will be.
back to the convo....I'm going with Lincoln High School. Average sat score about 900, only about 20 percent dropout, in the middle of a field where cow **** would get stuck in the ac and circulate throughout the building and we use the real drugs...none of those nice preppy ones but the hardcore stuff...like meth. All of our alumni go to prestigous unis like ivy tech, and oakland city community college. bring it.
back to the convo....I'm going with Lincoln High School. Average sat score about 900, only about 20 percent dropout, in the middle of a field where cow **** would get stuck in the ac and circulate throughout the building and we use the real drugs...none of those nice preppy ones but the hardcore stuff...like meth. All of our alumni go to prestigous unis like ivy tech, and oakland city community college. bring it.
Lincoln high school in Stockton or Lincoln magnet school in San Jose??....scary I actually know what you are talking about...
I voted for TJ purely on the badass factor of putting up a MEAN SAT of 1478. That is insane. Almost an equivalent of a high school of nothing but Cal Tech and MIT students.
That's Dr. Badass to you pal. 😀
Lincoln high school in Stockton or Lincoln magnet school in San Jose??....scary I actually know what you are talking about...
Lincoln High School in vincennes indiana..I was just making fun of my high school. I did so many programs at vandy and what not where I was the poor public school child compared to the others. We have two ap courses, and one is only every other year....but I did take our science and fine arts team to the state finals. woot woot.